The Student Room Group

GCSE exam techniques

is it a good thing if I have started to memorise questions and the mark scheme by the amount of past papers I am doing. because I am not sure if its improving my understanding or am I just becoming very familiar with the questions.
Reply 1
hi, I did my GCSE's last year and I would say for certain subjects like the sciences it may be worth trying to memorize the wording for some answers as the mark schemes are quite specific. But it's important to not only memorize the answers but to learn why they are looking for that particular answer and to learn the content as well but sometimes knowing the wording is useful- but not the most important thing as questions tend to variate.
Reply 2
thanks so much. what do u think I should do now cuz I have like two weeks left till my bio exam and im still not 100% ready
Original post by 177445
hi, I did my GCSE's last year and I would say for certain subjects like the sciences it may be worth trying to memorize the wording for some answers as the mark schemes are quite specific. But it's important to not only memorize the answers but to learn why they are looking for that particular answer and to learn the content as well but sometimes knowing the wording is useful- but not the most important thing as questions tend to variate
Reply 3
Original post by ariap
thanks so much. what do u think I should do now cuz I have like two weeks left till my bio exam and im still not 100% ready

Hi, I would say make a list of topics and focus on the ones you don't know first and try to go over them and watch a YouTube video of someone teaching it as it can be helpful. Then do blurting- get a piece of paper and write everything you know then do through the spec and add what you didn't know in a different colour and turn into flashcards. I did triple and it was quite content heavy but the specification is really helpful as it tells you exactly what you need to know
I remember how stressed I was for my GCSE's and felt like I knew nothing, but just try to reassure yourself that everything will be ok and GCSE's aren't really the end of the world (I used to think that and its a wrong mindset to have). After the first could of exams it will be less daunting and almost becomes normal at the end. Good luck :smile:
Original post by ariap
is it a good thing if I have started to memorise questions and the mark scheme by the amount of past papers I am doing. because I am not sure if its improving my understanding or am I just becoming very familiar with the questions.

Hi, for subjects such as science, I would recommend learning information using your specification and the mark scheme from past papers you have done, however to make sure you aren't wasting time, maybe focus on memorising mark schemes for higher mark questions, such as 6 markers, as these are the ones you really need to apply knowledge in. For essay-based subjects, such as english, I would recommend memorising key information, like quotes and key points, in which you can apply onto questions. For subjects like maths, practice is the best method. Hope that helps and good luck with exams!
Reply 5
Original post by ariap

Heya!
Yes, memorising past paper questions and mark schemes may help you become familiar with the format and types of questions that are likely to be asked in the exam. However, it's important to remember that examiners can change the format of questions or the mark scheme, so relying solely on memorising past papers may not guarantee success in the exam, so just be careful :smile:
If it helps, Study Mind has plenty of free resources for you to use!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest