The Student Room Group

Topic to research for cambridge personal statement

Hi! I'm applying to the university of Cambridge for maths, and I'm looking for a topic to research so that I can include at in my personal statement and talk about it in my interview. As long as it's not too hard or takes too long to learn, and has a sufficient number of books/podcasts/courses, it should do!
Could anyone who knows anything about Cambridge maths point me in the direction of a topic that's niche but also has lots of resources to practice with? Preferably something usually taught in first or second year?
Thanks!
If this is for undergraduate, then that won't really be how it works. The interview will be based on topics you've covered at A-Level (or equivalent) and they may not even bring up what you've written in your personal statement
Original post by melancollege
If this is for undergraduate, then that won't really be how it works. The interview will be based on topics you've covered at A-Level (or equivalent) and they may not even bring up what you've written in your personal statement

Wouldn't they focus on the topics you say you're interested in in your PS?
Original post by Uni2024N
Wouldn't they focus on the topics you say you're interested in in your PS?

Not really, they may ask you a question about something if you've mentioned it in your personal statement but by in large it won't make any difference. (It differs for other subjects)
Original post by melancollege
Not really, they may ask you a question about something if you've mentioned it in your personal statement but by in large it won't make any difference. (It differs for other subjects)

Okay thank you! Do you know if there will be technical and non technical interviews for maths this year? (Last year applicants only had technical interviews but I'm not sure about this year)
Original post by Uni2024N
Okay thank you! Do you know if there will be technical and non technical interviews for maths this year? (Last year applicants only had technical interviews but I'm not sure about this year)

I'm not certain, but non-technical interviews aren't that common for Maths. It will depend on your college and they will let you know at the same time as you receive your interview invitation

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending