The Student Room Group

chances for oxbridge base on gcse

I just got my gcse results and i got two 9s and five 8s with one 7 one 6 one 5.I understand oxford normally just take all9s but my language have huge impact on my results due to the fact i can barely understand the lessons when i first got in uk in year 9 and i lived in a country where no one speaks english at all.Also I’m considering about subjects related to maths and one of my maths paper i got 100%, i got 9s in maths and further maths with both higher than 90% in total marksI understand my gcse grades are not perfect but im just wondering if i managed to get 3/4 A*s, do I still get a chance of getting in Oxford?
Original post by ohauh
I just got my gcse results and i got two 9s and five 8s withne 7 one 6 one 5.I understand oxford normally just take all9s but my language have huge impact on my results due to the fact i can barely understand the lessons when i first got in uk in year 9 and i lived in a country where no one speaks english at all.Also I’m considering about subjects related to maths and one of my maths paper i got 100%, i got 9s in maths and further maths with both higher than 90% in total marksI understand my gcse grades are not perfect but im just wondering if i managed to get 3/4 A*s, do I still get a chance of getting in Oxford?

honestly your gcse grades are really good so I'd still apply!! Your A level results matter a lot more in this case so if you got those As and A*s At A level you'll be a good candidate. If you're going for something more maths based at uni then the uni might look more at your science and maths gcses so as long as those are strong you should be fine. Also, when you apply I think you may be able to tell your uni your language situation and how english is your second language (don't quote me on this but I think your teachers can mention it in your reference??) so oxford can take that into account. Just make sure your personal statement is strong, you revise thoroughly for any entrance tests and practice for the interview. Those matter a lot more
Reply 2
Original post by 444nataly
honestly your gcse grades are really good so I'd still apply!! Your A level results matter a lot more in this case so if you got those As and A*s At A level you'll be a good candidate. If you're going for something more maths based at uni then the uni might look more at your science and maths gcses so as long as those are strong you should be fine. Also, when you apply I think you may be able to tell your uni your language situation and how english is your second language (don't quote me on this but I think your teachers can mention it in your reference??) so oxford can take that into account. Just make sure your personal statement is strong, you revise thoroughly for any entrance tests and practice for the interview. Those matter a lot more

Thank you! It means a lot! Do you have any advice on how to enrich personal statements:smile:
Original post by ohauh
Thank you! It means a lot! Do you have any advice on how to enrich personal statements:smile:

By actually having a passion for your chosen subject, and writing up about all the academic extracurricular activities you have completed.
Original post by ohauh

if you're aiming for oxbridge and other RGs, your PS should be mostly academic related to your degree of choice. Year 12 is the perfect time to do a lot of the things I'm about to mention:
Books
Articles
Lectures
Research projects
Work experience
Essay competitions
Olympiads (Maths olympiad)
EPQ

Those are just some examples. But you mustn't just list these things off. You must talk about what you learned from these things. use the ABC method:
A: Activity
B: benefit
C: Course

A: what activity did you do. Go into detail about what you do. B: how did it benefit you? What skills did you learn and how did it inspire you etc. C: course. Relate what you learned back to your course of choice and how what you learned would help you in your course

Another good thing to do is link your activities together. In my PS I used phrases like "inspired by this article, I researched into this topic further by completing an EPQ on it". Linking just makes it more seamless and less of just a list of activities. also, DONT LIE on your ps because in your interview they may well ask you about your ps and you should be able to elaborate sufficiently on what you did. there are loads of other good resources on TSR about personal statements so do check them out!
Reply 5
Original post by 444nataly
if you're aiming for oxbridge and other RGs, your PS should be mostly academic related to your degree of choice. Year 12 is the perfect time to do a lot of the things I'm about to mention:
Books
Articles
Lectures
Research projects
Work experience
Essay competitions
Olympiads (Maths olympiad)
EPQ

Those are just some examples. But you mustn't just list these things off. You must talk about what you learned from these things. use the ABC method:
A: Activity
B: benefit
C: Course

A: what activity did you do. Go into detail about what you do. B: how did it benefit you? What skills did you learn and how did it inspire you etc. C: course. Relate what you learned back to your course of choice and how what you learned would help you in your course

Another good thing to do is link your activities together. In my PS I used phrases like "inspired by this article, I researched into this topic further by completing an EPQ on it". Linking just makes it more seamless and less of just a list of activities. also, DONT LIE on your ps because in your interview they may well ask you about your ps and you should be able to elaborate sufficiently on what you did. there are loads of other good resources on TSR about personal statements so do check them out!

THANK YOU!!!🥺🥺 These are really helpful cuz my parents aren’t familiar with these things because they were not educated in uk so no one taught me much about these yet
Reply 6
Original post by SMFreeze
By actually having a passion for your chosen subject, and writing up about all the academic extracurricular activities you have completed.

Thanks!!!😘😘🥰🥰
Original post by ohauh
I just got my gcse results and i got two 9s and five 8s with one 7 one 6 one 5.I understand oxford normally just take all9s but my language have huge impact on my results due to the fact i can barely understand the lessons when i first got in uk in year 9 and i lived in a country where no one speaks english at all.Also I’m considering about subjects related to maths and one of my maths paper i got 100%, i got 9s in maths and further maths with both higher than 90% in total marksI understand my gcse grades are not perfect but im just wondering if i managed to get 3/4 A*s, do I still get a chance of getting in Oxford?

I got the same results as you but B instead of the C, and i was thinking the same thing as you. I would honestly try Cambridge as well as they don't put much emphasis on gsce and its still one of the best uni in the world and its just as good as oxbridge.
Reply 8
Original post by springcelti
I got the same results as you but B instead of the C, and i was thinking the same thing as you. I would honestly try Cambridge as well as they don't put much emphasis on gsce and its still one of the best uni in the world and its just as good as oxbridge.

ive heard of the rumor that cambridge arguably cares gsce less than oxford, so yes i’ll definitely consider that, thank you 😊
Original post by ohauh

Heya!
While Oxford does look into GCSE grades, there are other steps to the application which are more important. First, your a-level grades - if you get 3 A*s then you have a very solid chance (don't really need 4 a-levels). There is also a personal statement, admissions tests, and interviews you need to go through as well which have a higher weight than GCSEs. For a personal statement, I would recommend just googling some examples and getting inspiration from them. So, you still have a good chance, don't give up yet!

I hope this helps!
Milena G.
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Reply 10
Original post by username5980171

Hi, hate to bother you I’m applying for uni now and was just looking through old posts and have some more questions, i got my UCAS predicted grades of A*A*A*A with 3A*s in maths further maths physics and A in chemistry, realistically do u think i should still apply for oxbridge maths(or in cambridge’s case maths with physics) since i just feel like i didn’t even get 4A*s and it’ll be highly competitive and my gcse wasn’t exactly the strongest

Quick Reply

Latest