The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Couple of questions about MPhil research proposal with Cambridge University

I’m applying for the MPhil with Cambridge Uni,

I did very well in my undergrad dissertation

Do you think it’s acceptable to propose an expanded form of my dissertation as my research proposal or would this be looked upon negatively?

Also, if you are accepted would it be expected that you stick to writing your dissertation on the topic you initially proposed in your application, or can you change this?

Obviously I know it’s ideal to stick to the same one, but once I am no longer working full-time and can concentrate fully on my studies I might decide on a different direction?
Hi, building on an undergraduate dissertation is a great idea as it shows continuity of thought and commitment to one's chosen area of interest. However, make sure that your research proposal does not merely copy sections from the dissertation but endeavours to expand the scope of your earlier work. It is likely that due to the paucity of time, word count constraints (given that it was an undergrad thesis) and other possible reasons such as limited exposure to conducting independent research, you felt the need for improving it further. Moreover, your recent readings, experiences and interactions also allowed you the time and resources to re-think some of the key arguments made in your previous work. Once you've identified the 'what' and 'how' you'd like to work on it, drafting a proposal will seem easier. Many students also choose to work on a different topic and that is totally okay but you may have to justify that in your personal statement/ SOP. Just to clarify: is this a taught MPhil or an MPhil by research? A taught MPhil will entail course work over two terms followed by the dissertation. For this MPhil, you don't need a concrete idea about your dissertation at the time of the application. And you are always free to jump to an entirely new topic after you've had the chance to take courses and discuss your dissertation topic with your assigned supervisors. Hope this helps!
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 2
Original post by anthro_int5
Hi, building on an undergraduate dissertation is a great idea as it shows continuity of thought and commitment to one's chosen area of interest. However, make sure that your research proposal does not merely copy sections from the dissertation but endeavours to expand the scope of your earlier work. It is likely that due to the paucity of time, word count constraints (given that it was an undergrad thesis) and other possible reasons such as limited exposure to conducting independent research, you felt the need for improving it further. Moreover, your recent readings, experiences and interactions also allowed you the time and resources to re-think some of the key arguments made in your previous work. Once you've identified the 'what' and 'how' you'd like to work on it, drafting a proposal will seem easier. Many students also choose to work on a different topic and that is totally okay but you may have to justify that in your personal statement/ SOP. Just to clarify: is this a taught MPhil or an MPhil by research? A taught MPhil will entail course work over two terms followed by the dissertation. For this MPhil, you don't need a concrete idea about your dissertation at the time of the application. And you are always free to jump to an entirely new topic after you've had the chance to take courses and discuss your dissertation topic with your assigned supervisors. Hope this helps!

Hi Anthro, this is very helpful!

As I haven't studied in four years now reading a well thought out post like this is good for exercising my brain and retraining it to think properly.

I'm assuming for your username you studied anthropology??

I studied Sociology myself but my dissertation leaned on a lot of anthropological research, as it hadn't really been covered at all by Sociologists.

It only says that it's partly taught partly research so kind of lies halfway between them. It's not entirely by research, as there are other modules. The dissertation itself is 15,000-20,000 words. My undegrad dissertation was 11,000.

Do you know whether in the 1,000 word limit they allow 10% over the word count? I've always been the type of person who write's 5,000 words for a 2,000 word essay then has the painful process of removing content so if I'm allowed up to 1,100 - I absolutely will write 1,100!
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 3
Hi, thanks for sharing your background info. Since it's already been four years, you might choose to work on an entirely new topic. In that case, you will have to draft a proposal from the scratch which can be quite scary but it's worth the effort. This is going to be an intensive exercise, so if you have the time, I would request you to draft your proposal on a topic that really speaks to you and that you'll be interested in further exploring during your MPhil. Since the MPhil is partly taught, you'll have the chance to take your choices tailored to your interest which can further help shape your topic.

I think if you're asked to attach the proposal as a document, you can certainly go over 10%. If you are asked to copy-paste in on the online application form, you may not be able to do so because you'll have a word count tracker there. I would encourage you to have a look at the application guidelines issued by the department. They often mention the word count policy there. Also, if you start early and work on improving the drafts regularly, it might as well be possible for you to stick to the word limit. Good luck with your application!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending