The Student Room Group

Struggling to find job at uni

Hi,
I'm moving away to university this week, and I've just more or less clicked on to the fact that I can't really afford to keep myself going at uni without a job. I've applied for at least 50 jobs, and managed to get hired by this company that offers flexible work - the problem being every shift I've been booked on for has been cancelled. Does anyone have any advice??
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,
I'm moving away to university this week, and I've just more or less clicked on to the fact that I can't really afford to keep myself going at uni without a job. I've applied for at least 50 jobs, and managed to get hired by this company that offers flexible work - the problem being every shift I've been booked on for has been cancelled. Does anyone have any advice??

Hi there

Sorry to hear that your shifts have been cancelled. Have you gotten in touch with the company? Perhaps understanding the company's situation can help you evaluate whether to stay on the job or not.

Since you are going to University, you may be able to find some student jobs on your University's website. As they are aimed at students, they will be more flexible on your working hours and hopefully there will be less competition since only students apply.

Hope this helps.
Chloe
-University of Kent Student Rep
Hi!

Sorry to hear that you're having difficulty finding a job. I would recommend trying to get a role in your University such as a student ambassador or in the library to help you earn some money around your studies.

I hope this helps!
T :smile:
Hi,

Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear that you're struggling to get a job.

Have you considered applying to become a student ambassador? Like others have mentioned this is a great role to have while being a student as it offer flexibility around your studies. You will usually find these student roles on the SU website or you can contact your university to enquire about what roles are available to students.

Best wishes,
Sarah
Call centres will hire just about anyone with a pulse that can speak in complete sentences. It's dreadful work and a terrible working environment, but it's a paycheque (and doing it part-time makes it less onerous). Otherwise you just need to keep looking and keep applying to things.

May need to also reconsider your budget and see if there are places you can improve things from there e.g. if you are still able to change your accommodation and are in a much more expensive ensuite accommodation and don't have a medical/religious reason you need to have an ensuite, look at swapping to a cheaper non en-suite room pronto!
Hi,

Hey there!

I had a problem getting a job in second year and I think it's because places don't want to take students on who won't work during holiday periods because they're going home. I found more success in applying for jobs that were outside the city centre and finding good travel links in. I also found more success applying for hospitality which is tricky because hospitality is a sector that's quite tough and demanding for some people. Working in a chain hospitality restaurant has been a lot better for me in terms of management, pay and getting fair hours so that could be a good route to go down. Try and look to see if there's any shopping parks around the city centre that has bus routes that go to it.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU
Hi,

Hi Anon,

Sorry to hear that you're struggling to get a job. I would recommend getting in touch with the company and finding out what is going on. That way, you can decide whether it would be worth the uncertainty of staying with them if this is something that might happen frequently.

In the meantime, I would take a look at getting a job with your university, as they are usually regularly hiring students, and offer flexible hours around your studies. It might also be a good idea to keep applying for other jobs, as frustrating as it is! You might also want to consider ways you can budget more effectively until you find work, e.g., limiting nights out, subscriptions, luxuries. It isn't always the nicest thing to have to do, but it might help you until you find something.

Best of luck, and I hope this helps!
Isabella

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending