The Student Room Group

Economics and Maths

Im considering taking economics and maths at university however the only thing putting me off is that i really dont like statistics. Just wondering anyone who does any degree involving these two, is there alot of statistics in this course? And has anyone not liked statistics but found it is very different to a-level and actually more interesting/enjoyable?
Original post by NiamR
Im considering taking economics and maths at university however the only thing putting me off is that i really dont like statistics. Just wondering anyone who does any degree involving these two, is there alot of statistics in this course? And has anyone not liked statistics but found it is very different to a-level and actually more interesting/enjoyable?

I did maths and economics at university. Firstly, a maths and economics course really depends on where you study it, some unis have more/less statistics. The difficult thing is that even just straight economics degrees have quite a lot of statistics and econometrics modules, so the only way you can avoid stats to a greater degree is to do a straight maths degree.

Personally in my degree, it was far more heavily weighted towards maths and stats, though you could pick your optional modules based on your interests to an extent. I think quite a lot of people ended up picking statistics, econometrics and economics modules where they could as they were a lot easier than the maths modules.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by BenRyan99
I did maths and economics at university. Firstly, a maths and economics course really depends on where you study it, some unis have more/less statistics. The difficult thing is that even just straight economics degrees have quite a lot of statistics and econometrics modules, so the only way you can really avoid stats is to do a straight maths degree.

No, most maths degrees contain statistics
Reply 3
Original post by NiamR

You'll need to look at the modules on offer.
Reply 4
Original post by BenRyan99
I did maths and economics at university. Firstly, a maths and economics course really depends on where you study it, some unis have more/less statistics. The difficult thing is that even just straight economics degrees have quite a lot of statistics and econometrics modules, so the only way you can avoid stats to a greater degree is to do a straight maths degree.

Personally in my degree, it was far more heavily weighted towards maths and stats, though you could pick your optional modules based on your interests to an extent. I think quite a lot of people ended up picking statistics, econometrics and economics modules where they could as they were a lot easier than the maths modules.

Thanks and what university did you go to? Im thinking of bath and bristol so i will maybe ask some students there what they have experienced

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending