The Student Room Group

What should I do?

I'm planning to be an actuary in the future. My subject choice for a levels is coming very soon and my dad wants a strong answer of what I want. I'm not sure of what I should pick. I have two options. One is what my dad wants me to pick and another one is just my pick. Now I'm confused between the two because I like both of the options.
Option 1: 5 subjects
Maths, Economics, Accounting, Physics, Chemistry

Option 2: 4 subjects
Maths, Economics, Accounting, Psychology

My minimum number of subjects is 4 and the maximum is 5. Also, I plan on studying economics (university) before studying actuarial science. Is that good enough, or I should study actuarial science from the beginning? I'm genuinely very confused and I need help, asap.
If your this unsure about your alevels there is no point in you taking 5. If u are looking at more competitive universities for finance then you may consider fm. Sciences arent needed to study econ.
Original post by DeviousFrog
If your this unsure about your alevels there is no point in you taking 5. If u are looking at more competitive universities for finance then you may consider fm. Sciences arent needed to study econ.

Thank you so much for answering my question 😊. Well, I'm giving my Alevels through my school and they have a very limited amount of subjects (they mostly have science subjects), so it does make me hesitate a bit. On the other hand, my dad thinks that I can easily cover 5 subjects because in his eyes I'm a very talented student (I'm not 😅).

I'm currently thinking of taking the second option, because psychology looks interesting to me; plus I've noticed that the syllabus covers a lot of economic situations (consumer demand).

Am I making the right choice thinking about picking the second option?
5 would be a complete waste of time and would likely harm your chances of getting decent grades.
Original post by Admit-One
5 would be a complete waste of time and would likely harm your chances of getting decent grades.

Agreeing with you tbh
Original post by Osamu_Dazai122
Thank you so much for answering my question 😊. Well, I'm giving my Alevels through my school and they have a very limited amount of subjects (they mostly have science subjects), so it does make me hesitate a bit. On the other hand, my dad thinks that I can easily cover 5 subjects because in his eyes I'm a very talented student (I'm not 😅).
I'm currently thinking of taking the second option, because psychology looks interesting to me; plus I've noticed that the syllabus covers a lot of economic situations (consumer demand).
Am I making the right choice thinking about picking the second option?

Are you in a private school? Why cant you take 3? Less than 0.1% of people in the entire country took 5 or more. Getting 4A*s is the peak but 5 is unnescessary and a waste of time. A levels are a massive step up and if you dont think ur that talented u should be taking 3 tbh. 4 alevels is still pretty difficult.
I'd also note that the majority of people doing 4 are taking Maths in lower 6th and Further Maths in higher. They're not all sitting 4 lots of exams in upper.

It's a lot.
Original post by DeviousFrog
Are you in a private school? Why cant you take 3? Less than 0.1% of people in the entire country took 5 or more. Getting 4A*s is the peak but 5 is unnescessary and a waste of time. A levels are a massive step up and if you dont think ur that talented u should be taking 3 tbh. 4 alevels is still pretty difficult.

Yep, I'm in a private school, I don't want to take only three, it's just my personal preference. I feel like I'd be open to more knowledge if I take 4 subjects instead of three, plus taking 4 subjects in our country is very normal, it's really not a big deal. I won't take 5 but I'll take 4 even though I know it has it's risks but I'm willing to do it for the sake of my future.
I'd also note that the majority of people doing 4 are taking Maths in lower 6th and Further Maths in higher. They're not all sitting 4 lots of exams in upper.
It's a lot.

Thank you, you just reminded me of something very important. Aside from statistics, what maths will help me in actuarial science or economics?
Original post by Osamu_Dazai122
Thank you, you just reminded me of something very important. Aside from statistics, what maths will help me in actuarial science or economics?

Not something that I can help with but a good question to ask on open days, (or just contact academic depts running courses that you are considering).
Not something that I can help with but a good question to ask on open days, (or just contact academic depts running courses that you are considering).

Oh. Okay! Thank you so much!

Quick Reply

Latest