The Student Room Group

I’m struggling to pick my future career

I’m in my last few months of year 11(end of secondary school) and I’m going to sixth form this September. I’ve picked computer science, math and biology for my options but I’m having second thoughts. I’ve been seeing a lot of videos on math alevels and it’s discouraging me sm to the point I really don’t want to do it. I have my math entry exam for townley grammar school this Saturday and I’m gonna attempt it but if I get accepted I’m probably going to drop it. But if I fail the exam will they not give me a conditional offer at all? Now I’m really scared and I was crying at school today because I don’t know what to do and I’m really stressed. I don’t even want to do computer science anymore and I’ve applied to five schools with those options. What do I do?
Reply 1
Original post by Valerieiscool
I’m in my last few months of year 11(end of secondary school) and I’m going to sixth form this September. I’ve picked computer science, math and biology for my options but I’m having second thoughts. I’ve been seeing a lot of videos on math alevels and it’s discouraging me sm to the point I really don’t want to do it. I have my math entry exam for townley grammar school this Saturday and I’m gonna attempt it but if I get accepted I’m probably going to drop it. But if I fail the exam will they not give me a conditional offer at all? Now I’m really scared and I was crying at school today because I don’t know what to do and I’m really stressed. I don’t even want to do computer science anymore and I’ve applied to five schools with those options. What do I do?

Hey. I’m a year 12 student studying maths, further maths, economics and computer science

Don’t stress about what you’ve applied with for schools. On results day, they’ll confirm you want to still do these subjects and if you change your mind and your GCSEs are good enough for your new choices, they’ll let you switch.

As for your future, ignore what people say about A-level maths. It can be extremely challenging at some points, especially the second year but it’s nothing a good amount of hard work can’t hack.

Picking A- level maths is the best choice as it keeps so many possible future careers open, such as economics/finance, computer science, data science, possibly physics at some unis.

Unless you like biology or see yourself going into med, DONT do that subject. Its so content heavy and boring from what I’ve heard

Don’t pick a levels based on your highest GCSE grades, pick them based on what you enjoy.

It’s completely normal to not know what future you want to peruse. I have friends also doing 4 a levels still with no clue. Although it’s important to think about, the best thing you can do is pick some extremely vague interest and keep your options large (Why you should do maths)

Good looks for your test. I’m sure you’ll do well.
Reply 2
hi thank you for your reply it really helped me!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending