The Student Room Group

BTECs vs A-level’s

Are BTEC’s just as good as A-level?
Are they just as hard and time-consuming?
Original post by Syed998
Are BTEC’s just as good as A-level?
Are they just as hard and time-consuming?

There are advantages and disadvantages to both. BTECs tend to be easier as they consist of coursework and the occasional exam, whereas alevels you obviously have around 9 exams that are worth the entirety of your alevels. I personally think alevels are a much better choice as it shows a passion in multiple subjects rather than just one, which is beneficial as you tend to not know what you’re interested in 100% when you pick at 15. If you want to go to a top uni they are usually quite fussy about btecs vs alevels (some will allow it and some wont), so if you want to guarantee they will accept it then alevels are better. However many people really struggle with exams but are actually quite academic, so therefore doing a Btec and getting the top grade is much better than getting three C’s in your alevels, as then you wont be able to go to a top uni anyway. Hope this helps!
Reply 2
Original post by amberlily051
There are advantages and disadvantages to both. BTECs tend to be easier as they consist of coursework and the occasional exam, whereas alevels you obviously have around 9 exams that are worth the entirety of your alevels. I personally think alevels are a much better choice as it shows a passion in multiple subjects rather than just one, which is beneficial as you tend to not know what you’re interested in 100% when you pick at 15. If you want to go to a top uni they are usually quite fussy about btecs vs alevels (some will allow it and some wont), so if you want to guarantee they will accept it then alevels are better. However many people really struggle with exams but are actually quite academic, so therefore doing a Btec and getting the top grade is much better than getting three C’s in your alevels, as then you wont be able to go to a top uni anyway. Hope this helps!

I took 3 Btecs and Bournemouth, UWE, Plymouth, USW and Cardiff unis take BTECs

Did my interviews and 4/5 gave me an offer

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending