The Student Room Group

Are there any colleges which offer intensive a-levels without high tuition fees?

I am currently in year 13 but have changed my mind on what I want to do post a-levels so I am planning on studying biology and chemistry a levels intensive in one year so that I can get entry into either neuroscience or medicine. I would much prefer to go to an in person college as I really disliked distance learning over lockdown and because of the practical exams. The only in person college which offers them that isn’t a private school which charges ridiculous fees I found is westminister kingsway college which is free if I am 18 or under when I start the course. I am fine commuting so any college in London, Cambridge or in the south east would be preferable.

I couldn't find any affordable A Level courses after school. I did a degree in an Arts subject and then I did Graduate Entry Medicine. I found that to be much more accessible financially. Glasgow also does a Brain Sciences MSc which accept people from non-science backgrounds after they have their first degree.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 2
Kingsway is the only one that does 1 year intensive I’ll probs go there too , many others are asking for a fee , if you’re 18 you can still do the regular 16-18 at any college for free
Reply 3
Original post by rebro
Kingsway is the only one that does 1 year intensive I’ll probs go there too , many others are asking for a fee , if you’re 18 you can still do the regular 16-18 at any college for free

Yeah, I am leaning towards going to west kings as well. Hopefully i am able to get in if not I will try distance learning.
Do you know how competitive Westminster kingsway is?
Reply 4
Original post by kebab06
Yeah, I am leaning towards going to west kings as well. Hopefully i am able to get in if not I will try distance learning.
Do you know how competitive Westminster kingsway is?

I have no clue at all I tried finding out what’s on the paper , just know you have a head start bc I’ve never done alevels so I’ve got no clue of anything , when r u doing the exam?
Kingsway is better as they offer free tuition
I heard the pass mark is 60% but idk
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by rebro
I have no clue at all I tried finding out what’s on the paper , just know you have a head start bc I’ve never done alevels so I’ve got no clue of anything , when r u doing the exam?
Kingsway is better as they offer free tuition
I heard the pass mark is 60% but idk

I will be doing it next round I think, I am just starting year 13 at my sixth form finishing my current a-levels this year. It would be in summer 2024 I think? I wouldn’t have too long to prepare so I hope the pass is not 60% and is more like passing at an E grade but I dont know

Quick Reply

Latest