Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

The Official University of Sheffield Applicants for 2024 Entry Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by University of Sheffield Students

Hiya,

Congratulations on your offer! I am Jivanthika, a current second year Computer Science and AI student. Let me know if you have any questions about the course or life in Sheffield!

Good luck on your exams :smile:
Jivanthika

Hi, I have an offer for computer science and just wondered what you like most about the course and why you picked Sheffield over other unis.
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Hiya,

Congratulations on your offer! I am Jivanthika, a current second year Computer Science and AI student. Let me know if you have any questions about the course or life in Sheffield!

Good luck on your exams :smile:
Jivanthika

Aha thank you, one question. In terms of difficulty, since I've done a level comp sci and am semi proficient in python and know the basics of c#, how hard do you think year 1 would be. Like is there lots of math involved or is it more computer science based, like how stressed am I gonna be starting out because a levels are really long.

Thank you
Original post by Izzy-06
Hi, I have an offer for computer science and just wondered what you like most about the course and why you picked Sheffield over other unis.

Hello Izzy,

Hope you are doing well! I fell in love with Sheffield as soon as I had visited it on the open day. For me personally, I wanted a balance between city life and the countryside because as well as the course you are studying, the city is just as important as this is where you will be living for at least 3 years. In terms of the course, Sheffield has great research facilities so the lecturers are really passionate about the content they are teaching so when I do have any misconceptions, they are very helpful when it comes to clearing up doubts and do offer good support. I picked Sheffield over my other options as it was one of the highest ranked unis for the course and due to its affordability with the average price of things 10% less than the national average, I would be able to use my student finance for more things.

I hope this has helped you and let me know if you have any other questions :smile:
Jivanthika
Original post by shadowblades
Aha thank you, one question. In terms of difficulty, since I've done a level comp sci and am semi proficient in python and know the basics of c#, how hard do you think year 1 would be. Like is there lots of math involved or is it more computer science based, like how stressed am I gonna be starting out because a levels are really long.

Thank you

Hiya,

Before I came into university the only programming knowledge I had came from my GCSEs. Therefore, while having an A Level in Computer Science will definitely support your first year and you will find certain modules more easier, it is also manageable for people with no coding experience. From my experience, I can say that first year will be a bit more relaxed for you if you have some prior experience, however there will be a lot of new languages that you will learn as well. In terms of the maths, we had 1 maths module last year that I believe covered some material that can be found from the Further Mathematics A Level Course, however this content was also manageable if you can keep on top of your work.

If you do have any more about University life in general or anything, just let me know :smile:
Jivanthika
Original post by shadowblades

Thank you

Hiya,

Before I came into university the only programming knowledge I had came from my GCSEs. Therefore, while having an A Level in Computer Science will definitely support your first year and you will find certain modules more easier, it is also manageable for people with no coding experience. From my experience, I can say that first year will be a bit more relaxed for you if you have some prior experience, however there will be a lot of new languages that you will learn as well. In terms of the maths, we had 1 maths module last year that I believe covered some material that can be found from the Further Mathematics A Level Course, however this content was also manageable if you can keep on top of your work.

If you do have any more about University life in general or anything, just let me know :smile:
Jivanthika

Oh okay that's good to hear then thank you
Original post by ManUtd_21
What's the city of Sheffield like? Is it a very quiet city, and are there lots of different things to do?

Thank you ManUtd_21 for your questions.

Sheffield is a vibrant city with lots of activities to get involved in, as it is a major city, you’ll find most of the big national brands represented. You’ll also find quirky, independent originals as well as high-end designer stores. Sheffield is also one of the greenest cities in Europe so there are lots of opportunities to enjoy the great outdoors!

I hope this helped, do you have any other questions I could help with?

Hannah
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by LaurynGold
Congrats!!!

Congratulations on your offer!

Hannah 🙂
Original post by University of Sheffield Alumni
Thank you ManUtd_21 for your questions.

Sheffield is a vibrant city with lots of activities to get involved in, as it is a major city, you’ll find most of the big national brands represented. You’ll also find quirky, independent originals as well as high-end designer stores. Sheffield is also one of the greenest cities in Europe so there are lots of opportunities to enjoy the great outdoors!

I hope this helped, do you have any other questions I could help with?

Hannah

Thank you!
Reply 48
Original post by adhya_9
Just got an offer for aerospace engineering!

Congrats! I’m applying for UoS aero soon, what did you get as your offer?
has anyone else applied for politics and modern languages? :smile:
Original post by medic0975
Hi 😊.

This is the thread for people who are thinking of applying to University of Sheffield for 2024.

Meet and chat to other applicants applying here.

Here are some icebreaker questions, but feel free to ask whatever you want regarding Sheffield.

1) What A Levels are you doing (or other eligible qualifications)?
2) What course at Sheffield do you have your eyes on? And why?
3) What grades did you get/are you predicted to get at GCSE and Sixth Form?
4) Why Sheffield specifically?
5) Which admissions tests do you have to sit if any, and when will you start preparing for them?
6) Will you be attending any Open Days?
7) How are you feeling about starting University?
8) Other unis you're interested in?

The general website for the university can be found here.

You can find a directory linking to all of the other university applicant threads here.

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for or post group chat links.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Is anyone applying for economics?
Original post by erin11
has anyone else applied for politics and modern languages? :smile:

i’ve applied for philosophy and modern languages x
Original post by grace.louise1905
i’ve applied for philosophy and modern languages x

Hi,

Good luck with your application.

I currently study Mathematics and Philosophy, so if you have any philosophy questions, please just ask.
Or any questions about Sheffield in general.

Lizzie (3rd year - University of Sheffield)
just received my offer for politics and modern languages!! 🎉
Reply 54
just got a chemistry offer!! 🎉
Original post by medic0975
Hi 😊.

This is the thread for people who are thinking of applying to University of Sheffield for 2024.

Meet and chat to other applicants applying here.

Here are some icebreaker questions, but feel free to ask whatever you want regarding Sheffield.

1) What A Levels are you doing (or other eligible qualifications)?
2) What course at Sheffield do you have your eyes on? And why?
3) What grades did you get/are you predicted to get at GCSE and Sixth Form?
4) Why Sheffield specifically?
5) Which admissions tests do you have to sit if any, and when will you start preparing for them?
6) Will you be attending any Open Days?
7) How are you feeling about starting University?
8) Other unis you're interested in?

The general website for the university can be found here.

You can find a directory linking to all of the other university applicant threads here.

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for or post group chat links.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Hi, I applied to architecture at Uni of Sheffield on the 23rd of October with predicted A*A*A and submitted my portfolio on the 16th of November. Everyone I know who has applied to Sheffield so far has heard back from it a few weeks ago now and I am starting to get worried since I haven't had a response yet. How long does Sheffield normally take to respond to offers?
Original post by Anonymous #2
Hi, I applied to architecture at Uni of Sheffield on the 23rd of October with predicted A*A*A and submitted my portfolio on the 16th of November. Everyone I know who has applied to Sheffield so far has heard back from it a few weeks ago now and I am starting to get worried since I haven't had a response yet. How long does Sheffield normally take to respond to offers?

Hi,
It varies each year, but often takes a while longer than other applications as they have to go through portfolios as well as looking at the other aspects of the application. It is still very early days for sending out offers so I wouldn't lose hope, and for courses like this they can also be sent out on a rolling basis rather than all at once too.
Wishing you all the best!
Evie (4th year medic at UoS)
I'm currently doing a MSc in Human Resources with Employment Law and have applied for a PhD in Management. I got a 2:1 in my Undergraduate degree in Business and BEE in my A Levels back in 2007! Sheffield is only about a half hour drive from my house so I can commute and I'm a very mature student so don't really want to relocate! Currently predicted a Commendation in my Masters degree with potential for a Distinction, and I've also applied for Lincoln to do a PhD in Equality, Diversity and Inclusion which is about an hour's drive.
One twin has the offer they wanted and so will be coming to the offer holder day 👏🏼👏🏼

The other twin is still hoping for an offer 🤞🏼🤞🏼

We just hope we don’t end up making two trips 🙄😂
Sheffield came through - we feel so fortunate the twin received an offer yesterday also ! 🤩

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending