The Student Room Group

Official Year 11 Chat 2023-24

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
HELLO

I'm doing my GCSE's this year and im honestly so terrified. i think my weakest topic is Science, can anyone give me any revision tips that is helpful because i just need some help
Original post by ann_mary
HELLO

I'm doing my GCSE's this year and im honestly so terrified. i think my weakest topic is Science, can anyone give me any revision tips that is helpful because i just need some help

Heya. I’m kind of on your boat - my school only offers coordinated and my friend and I want to do triple so we have to self study it. I think the best tip is just to do a ton of practice questions before your tests. I like to make “cheat sheets” (revision sheets) and condense as much info on them as I can because that forces my brain to rethink the wording and really understand stuff. This is a good guide, and if you need any science examples hmu and I can take some pictures! https://girlknowstech.com/cheat-sheets/

Also I really like Anki or Quizlet. Anki is free but imo it’s not as fun as quizlet, but it’s not too bad. Also if you can find a friend that’s good at something else (ie I’m good at chem, my friend is good at bio), quiz each other constantly. We just randomly ask each other stuff like “list three advantages of …” or “how would you do xxx” all the time and it’s good to understand the topic.

I’m not particularly good at taking nice looking notes so I’ve fully embraced my messiness and I draw mindmaps/spiderweb maps in class because that helps me visualise stuff.

I’ll amend my comment if I can think of anything else but doing these things have gotten me consistent A*s from like a high B/low A (I do IGCSEs). Hope this helps!
Reply 62
That rlly helped me.. thank you.
Currently i like to make flashcards on Quizlet and review them and im currently in the middle of learning them and then after do practice question. I haven't rlly started practice questions tho because i kind of want to be focusing on knowledge first and then after to test my knowledge i will do questions.

I'm not rlly amazing at science but i'am aiming for 7's and i think if i keep working i can.
Original post by ann_mary
HELLO

Hiya xx
I do triple science i've been gettings grades 7s-9s!
So what you need to maybe do is cover all the contents to make sure you have ur knowledge there
Once you are done do topic questions or oast paper!
Is anyone doing the SMC? I’m really really nervous about it! But my teacher is forcing everyone who does additional maths (gcse: further maths) to do it and i’m properly scarred after doing those past papers haha
Reply 65
thank you mishelle, i am just trying to get the content down and then after i will start doing practice papers and i will see if that will boost my grade!
Hi, I’m taking triple science, history, Spanish, art and dt (two creatives were the biggest mistake of my life but no turning back now). My best subjects are biology and Spanish (they only let me start taking it at gcse.. I speak it fluently but writing is absolute hell.. I was borderline illiterate at the beginning of year 10) which I’m hoping to take for a level along w chemistry and psychology, but I’ll probably just end up doing 3 tbh. My aims are 8/9s, everything’s going ok but I’m really behind in art and my maths needs work but I guess we’ll just have to see how everything goes lol

My exam boards are Edexcel for sciences and history, IGCSE for English and maths, and ocr for art and dt
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by bicompton
Is anyone doing the SMC? I’m really really nervous about it! But my teacher is forcing everyone who does additional maths (gcse: further maths) to do it and i’m properly scarred after doing those past papers haha

yess i am doing the smc. past papers have been really hard + my teacher also forced everyone in the top maths set or taking further maths to do it
What are you doing for English lit? I do CAIE and I have Ted Hughes, Crumbs from the table of joy and the Namesake. They’re so boring it’s killing me 😭😭
Original post by anonymous1425

yess i am doing the smc. past papers have been really hard + my teacher also forced everyone in the top maths set or taking further maths to do it

Are you doing anything to revise? One of my friends have given up completely and isn’t revising and the others just aren’t interested so I’m the only one that’s really trying to get a silver/gold (hopefully gold tho). Someone sent me some stuff on here that I can PM you if you have time/want to do more haha. Good luck next week!
Original post by bicompton
Are you doing anything to revise? One of my friends have given up completely and isn’t revising and the others just aren’t interested so I’m the only one that’s really trying to get a silver/gold (hopefully gold tho). Someone sent me some stuff on here that I can PM you if you have time/want to do more haha. Good luck next week!

I'm also doing the SMC and in my school they selected whoever got a 9 in their end of year 10 mocks to do the SMC. It's going to be strange being in an exam hall with Year 12s and 13 that are so much more in touch with Maths but ultimately it is a privilege to get more experience of being in exam settings. Would you be able to PM the resources since I would like to do some practice?
Reply 71
So how do you revise for geography? I take edexcel, and god IT'S SO ANNOYING TO NOT SEE ANY RESOURCES TO EVEN STUDY EFFICENTLY, I work best with videos and such. but i'm not sure.. can anyone help me 😭
Hello Year 11s, I am thinking of starting an online AQA Spanish Study group! if you are interested, please send me a private message with the title 'GCSE AQA Spanish Study Group' otherwise i wont accept your request :biggrin: (btw I am in year 13 and got an 8 in Spanish)

- i am also thinking of starting a french one as i got an 8 in that one too, but i will think about it :smile: (i study spanish at a level so it may be a bit easier for me todo spanish for now)
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 73
Original post by _lilinx_

So how do you revise for geography? I take edexcel, and god IT'S SO ANNOYING TO NOT SEE ANY RESOURCES TO EVEN STUDY EFFICENTLY, I work best with videos and such. but i'm not sure.. can anyone help me 😭

use physics and maths tutor and I recommend getting the edexcel textbook with a cow as the cover it is very detailed! You can use it to make mind maps/flashcards
Original post by SONIX2080
Hello,

I am in year 11 as well. I am happy to be in this group and I will share anything I know.

My subjects are as follows:

Biology - AQA

Chemistry - AQA

Physics - AQA

Maths - Edexcel

English - AQA

Economics - AQA

Geography - AQA

French - AQA

I am hoping to do Economics , Maths and further maths for A/L's.

We did Inspector calls, Macbeth and now we have started Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde.

I had predicted grades at the end of year 10 as follows:

English language - 7

English Literature - 7

Maths - 8

Biology - 8

Chemistry - 8

Physics - 7

Economics - 8

French - 6

Geography - 7

We have a mock test in November so, I am aiming to get 8's and 9's.

I am also doing past papers from Physics and Maths Tutor

I also use Save My Exams, BBC Bitesize and StudyMind.

I love Seneca. It's really good for sciences and languages
Original post by emm4nuella
Hello Year 11s, I am thinking of starting an online AQA Spanish Study group! if you are interested, please send me a private message with the title 'GCSE AQA Spanish Study Group' otherwise i wont accept your request :biggrin: (btw I am in year 13 and got an 8 in Spanish)

- i am also thinking of starting a french one as i got an 8 in that one too, but i will think about it :smile: (i study spanish at a level so it may be a bit easier for me todo spanish for now)

Id be happy to collab on a french one. I speak french fluently and already have a 9 in my gcse
Reply 76
Original post by shellyy1
use physics and maths tutor and I recommend getting the edexcel textbook with a cow as the cover it is very detailed! You can use it to make mind maps/flashcards

thank you so much omggg
hello everyone - i have an announcement!! i am a year 13 studying spanish a level, and i (alongside @whywegottastudy) am running a gcse spanish study group, for those of who might be struggling, need a bit of support or just wanna talk to new people :biggrin:! if you are interested, can you please join using this discord link - https://discord.gg/f4YdUgBb!

thanks, and make sure you spread the word (send me a private message if u have any questions),
emmanuella :smile:
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 78
Original post by Jacky Pleasant
Id be happy to collab on a french one. I speak french fluently and already have a 9 in my gcse

can u help me too pls?
Original post by shellyy1

can u help me too pls?

Me too please!

Quick Reply

Latest