The Student Room Group

Architecture Applicants 2024

Scroll to see replies

Hi,
Honestly I’m not sure whether to pick Bath or Lboro as I’m retaking this year only because I narrowly missed the requirements for bath last year. But I recently went to Lboro and liked the course so any help in weighing the pros and cons would be appreciated :smile:

Bath:
Pros:
Nice town and landmarks that may be beneficial on the course.
Building provides everyone with desk space and facilities seem really good.
Placement year
I prefer the course structure where things are more thought out and there are collaborations with students from other courses (like civil engineering)

Cons:
I feel like Bath relies very heavily on reputation to bring in interest from student. While I value it’s position in rankings, their cohorts are much bigger (around 120)
More technical and stem based when I would slightly prefer a course that is more art based. (Not fussed though as I enjoy both Maths and Physics) perhaps the technicality would be an advantage in the future?

Lboro:
Pros:
Everyone in first year is given a laptop with software which is helpful.
There’s a smaller cohort of approx 70 people so more time with tutors and feedback. You get to know everyone fairly quickly so perhaps better studio culture?
Placement year.
Cons:
The town itself doesn’t seem to have much going on, but Nottingham and Leicester are close.
Prefer the course structure of Bath compared to Lboro.
Original post by parrot05
Hi,
Honestly I’m not sure whether to pick Bath or Lboro as I’m retaking this year only because I narrowly missed the requirements for bath last year. But I recently went to Lboro and liked the course so any help in weighing the pros and cons would be appreciated :smile:

Bath:
Pros:
Nice town and landmarks that may be beneficial on the course.
Building provides everyone with desk space and facilities seem really good.
Placement year
I prefer the course structure where things are more thought out and there are collaborations with students from other courses (like civil engineering)

Cons:
I feel like Bath relies very heavily on reputation to bring in interest from student. While I value it’s position in rankings, their cohorts are much bigger (around 120)
More technical and stem based when I would slightly prefer a course that is more art based. (Not fussed though as I enjoy both Maths and Physics) perhaps the technicality would be an advantage in the future?

Lboro:
Pros:
Everyone in first year is given a laptop with software which is helpful.
There’s a smaller cohort of approx 70 people so more time with tutors and feedback. You get to know everyone fairly quickly so perhaps better studio culture?
Placement year.
Cons:
The town itself doesn’t seem to have much going on, but Nottingham and Leicester are close.
Prefer the course structure of Bath compared to Lboro.

It looks like you have already done a good job comparing the pros and cons, and they are both good choices. Have a look at the work produced for the end-of-year shows by students, for example:

https://archshow2023.lboro.ac.uk/

Also, ask current students where the sites have been for their projects. With my son's uni, they used local sites in first year but then had a trip overseas for second year to view a site, and then the third-year site has been based in a National Park.
got UCL BSc architecture unconditional offer yesterday!! had my interview on 14th march, offer came much earlier than they said it would in the interview. i’m a home applicant btw :smile:
Original post by Saintellie1
got UCL BSc architecture unconditional offer yesterday!! had my interview on 14th march, offer came much earlier than they said it would in the interview. i’m a home applicant btw :smile:

congrats! is that ur firm! i firmed it recently!
Original post by Tud0u_
Did they not provide any reasoning for the rejection? I recommend emailing them to find out since providing no reasoning is quite unprofessional on their behalf.

The only response I got is that my application wasn’t strong which confused me since I got 3 offers including Sheffield and Loughborough and an interview from ucl. Thank you I will be emailing them.
Reply 425
Original post by n1ts2345
Just one from Cardiff but no news from the other 4!

MArch or Bsc
Hii, i am applying for the uni of Nottingham accommodation soon and was wondering if anyone had information on the one bedroom flat for Cripps, Lincoln and Derby. I haven’t been to the campus as im an international student and there are no photos/videos available online regarding these particular halls.

Any help/guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks 😊😊
Reply 427
Hi
Anyone applying for MArch to either Cardiff, DMU, Uni of Wolverhampton or University of bath
Original post by milmo39
congrats! is that ur firm! i firmed it recently!

Hi sorry this is late, yes it is!! Do you want to exchange instagrams or anything? :smile:
has anyone gotten an offer for the msci at ucl? i wanted to get in touch with people :,)
Original post by harrt1131
has anyone had an interview with AA?

I have an interview with them in May and I can't really find many resources online on how to prepare for it either.
I posted on this thread a couple weeks ago about my progress so far and how I'm going crazy waiting for ucl to get back to me.

I've received conditional offers from all my other UCAS schools: Newcastle, Sheffield, Manchester, Bath and also an interview from AA

but ucl? radio silence.

A lot of people told me not to stress since they are known to take a while but I can't help it. I'm also an international applicant--who are known to hear back earlier than others, but still nothing. Should I prepare myself for the worst...?
Reply 432
Hi so i applied for the MArch master's in architecture course, i go an offer in cardiff university and qqueen university belfast
which do you think is the best option, also would really love to know a fellow applicant from either of the universities
Hi guys!

Unis: UCL (Reject because of portfolio even though I have a 7 predicted in Art), UAL (Waiting submitted portfolio November), Westminster (conditional offer, best interview experience), Kent (conditional offer), Oxford Brookes (conditional offer, scholarship), AA (offer, EXTREMELY STRESSFUL interview experience)

IB Predicted 41/45
HL: Visual Arts (7), English A (5) and Business Management (7)
SL: Math (7), ESS (6), French B (6)

Extracurriculars: I have had two summer internships, am the founder of a stray animal club, designed and sold my own jewelry, and am part of a homeless service club, yearbook club, ballet, piano, and school volleyball team.

Any advice for which one to choose as an international 12th-grade student?
(edited 2 weeks ago)
Original post by giannmarmar
Hi guys!
Unis: UCL (Reject because of portfolio even though I have a 7 predicted in Art), UAL (Waiting submitted portfolio November), Westminster (conditional offer, best interview experience), Kent (conditional offer), Oxford Brookes (conditional offer, scholarship), AA (offer, EXTREMELY STRESSFUL interview experience)
IB Predicted 41/45
Extracurriculars: I have had two summer internships, am the founder of a stray animal club, designed and sold my own jewelry, and am part of a homeless service club, yearbook club, ballet, piano, and school volleyball team.
it completely depends what you're looking for. i'll preface this by saying you should look at the content of each course online (and visit in person if possible) and go from there in the first instance.

--as you likely know UCL has the star reputation, but worry not: its not necessarily best for experience, nor employability. it all depends what you like.
--as you have a scholarship, OB may be the way to go... they have a great architecture course, despite living in the shadow of Oxford university. they rank pretty highly in league tables and its worth considering for sure.
--UAL is very artsy with big focus on sociopolitical factors, if you're into art then this could be the place for you. there is space for conceptual output and its situated within central saint martins (lots happening, high fashion art vibes).
--of course, Westminster sits within the context of London too - but doesn't necessarily have the greatest reputation for architecture. that isn't to say you shouldn't choose it, as many enjoy their experience.
--kent is in kent but its not a bad uni for architecture. it didn't really stand out for me but it has no major issues as far as I'm aware.
--AA is somewhat prestigious too as you know, but is only accessible to 'elite' types. if you want to be surrounded by that then great haha but it's a different energy than all of the others.

vague overview as cannot go into every single one in depth, its best to look for yourself as we all have different needs. I wasn't interested in Plymouth for example but I know people who chose to go despite high grades (and wouldn't have wanted to go anywhere else). you can't really go wrong... your future employers likely won't be very worried at all about where you studied. you have time to make your decision, good luck.
(edited 2 weeks ago)
Please note it is against TSR rules to request social details for offsite chats. From the community guidelines:

"To ensure the safety of all users, don’t post any personal email addresses, offsite groups, social media handles or phone numbers on the public forums or via private messaging."

"Details of any off site groups, which includes and does not limit to such as Facebook, Whatsapp, Discord should not be shared on TSR. TSR cannot be held accountable for what goes on outside of the site so for the safety of yourself and others please do not share these groups on TSR."
Original post by jjjjjjosep
it completely depends what you're looking for. i'll preface this by saying you should look at the content of each course online (and visit in person if possible) and go from there in the first instance.
--as you likely know UCL has the star reputation, but worry not: its not necessarily best for experience, nor employability. it all depends what you like.
--as you have a scholarship, OB may be the way to go... they have a great architecture course, despite living in the shadow of Oxford university. they rank pretty highly in league tables and its worth considering for sure.
--UAL is very artsy with big focus on sociopolitical factors, if you're into art then this could be the place for you. there is space for conceptual output and its situated within central saint martins (lots happening, high fashion art vibes).
--of course, Westminster sits within the context of London too - but doesn't necessarily have the greatest reputation for architecture. that isn't to say you shouldn't choose it, as many enjoy their experience.
--kent is in kent but its not a bad uni for architecture. it didn't really stand out for me but it has no major issues as far as I'm aware.
--AA is somewhat prestigious too as you know, but is only accessible to 'elite' types. if you want to be surrounded by that then great haha but it's a different energy than all of the others.
vague overview as cannot go into every single one in depth, its best to look for yourself as we all have different needs. I wasn't interested in Plymouth for example but I know people who chose to go despite high grades (and wouldn't have wanted to go anywhere else). you can't really go wrong... your future employers likely won't be very worried at all about where you studied. you have time to make your decision, good luck.

Thank you so much for the overview I will consider everything you said!
Original post by jjjjjjosep
I’m predicted AAA (3D Design, Politics, Psychology) with A* in EPQ and A in Core Maths. Currently planning to apply to UWE, UCL, UAL, Edinburgh and MSA.
I’ve always thought creatively, but I don’t feel I have a wide range of techniques to demonstrate in my portfolio, and I want to be prepared. I have a lot of architectural work to showcase, but I don’t want to include too much of this. Bashing out a beautiful painting isn’t an option, and I am a bit worried about being overlooked because of a slightly boring portfolio.
Any tips on what sort of things I could work on before applying to boost my outlook?
Thank you

Same no predictions yet but likely AAAA (Product Design, Maths, Physics, EPQ). Designing a sixth form centre for EPQ. Unis: Cambridge, UCL, Bath, Sheffield. I would work on mock designs. Buildner Architecure Competitions has a plethora of architecture competitons that they provide design briefs for. Use AUTOCAD and SKETCHUP for floor plans and models. I'm using these for my EPQ and planning to do for my portifolio. Work experience at an architectural firm is preferable to support your development in these softwares and design in general. Personally, I learnt 2d autocad at my work placement, every week and looked at projects which greatly helped my EPQ. Iam planning to work on my own project afrer mocks at my placment.
Original post by giannmarmar
Hi guys!
IB Predicted 41/45

heyy congrats on ur offfer . do u mind sharing tips how to prepare for the AA interview. im so nervous 😭😭😭😭😭
I just heard back from my last uni and have received offers from all the schools I applied through UCAS!! (New Castle, Sheffield, Manchester, Bath, UCL)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending