The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

does ucl do clearing?

i want to study clsssics at ucl for 2024 entry and i was curious if ucl ever take part in clearing?
Why would you want to apply through clearing when you can still submit an application before the January deadline?
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by marz11
i want to study clsssics at ucl for 2024 entry and i was curious if ucl ever take part in clearing?

They participated in "Clearing Plus" which wasn't the main round of clearing and I'm not even really sure how it works. Would not count on it being in clearing proper.

As above though you can just apply in the main round now! Bear in mind Classics at UCL now has 3 strands and you have to elect one after you submit your UCAS application (through Portico, probably). The literature and language strand is for those with Greek/Latin to A-level (basically the old classics degree), the ancient world strand (Or something like that - basically the old Ancient World degree) is for those without, and the Ancient Near Eastern studies strand (which is new) is for those wanting to focus more on e.g. Hittite, Egyptian, Akkadian etc. They also have a Sanskritist now!

There is also the BA Ancient Languages if you're mainly interested in the language side, which is jointly offered between Greek & Latin (the Classics department there) and Hebrew and Jewish Studies (which is also where Akkadian/Sumerian are taught from).
Reply 3
Original post by PQ
Why would you want to apply through clearing when you can still submit an application before the January deadline?

i should have specified lol. i do want to apply for 2024 entry, i was just curious if UCL ever participated in it! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger
They participated in "Clearing Plus" which wasn't the main round of clearing and I'm not even really sure how it works. Would not count on it being in clearing proper.

As above though you can just apply in the main round now! Bear in mind Classics at UCL now has 3 strands and you have to elect one after you submit your UCAS application (through Portico, probably). The literature and language strand is for those with Greek/Latin to A-level (basically the old classics degree), the ancient world strand (Or something like that - basically the old Ancient World degree) is for those without, and the Ancient Near Eastern studies strand (which is new) is for those wanting to focus more on e.g. Hittite, Egyptian, Akkadian etc. They also have a Sanskritist now!

There is also the BA Ancient Languages if you're mainly interested in the language side, which is jointly offered between Greek & Latin (the Classics department there) and Hebrew and Jewish Studies (which is also where Akkadian/Sumerian are taught from).

apologies i should have specified! i do want to apply for 2024 entry. i was jsut curious if ucl ever participated in clearing x
i also do want to apply to one of the routes for classics at ucl.
can you explain to me what portico is?
Original post by marz11
apologies i should have specified! i do want to apply for 2024 entry. i was jsut curious if ucl ever participated in clearing x
i also do want to apply to one of the routes for classics at ucl.
can you explain to me what portico is?

Portico is basically a login portal most courses at UCL use when you apply so you can e.g. upload documents required (such as certificates of your grades and stuff eventually) and if there are any pre-offer elements to the application process (such as choosing a route for the classics course, or for e.g. architecture or fine art possibly doing portfolio related stuff?) that happens on there.

Once you start it's thing that you should register for modules through, be able to check your timetable on, see your personal tutors name and so on. In my experience it has not worked and I gather this is quite common :laugh:

Although one useful bit of info to take from that is if you DO need to do anything on portico, do it at the first opportunity because it's always going down for maintenance or not working properly!
Reply 6
Original post by artful_lounger
Portico is basically a login portal most courses at UCL use when you apply so you can e.g. upload documents required (such as certificates of your grades and stuff eventually) and if there are any pre-offer elements to the application process (such as choosing a route for the classics course, or for e.g. architecture or fine art possibly doing portfolio related stuff?) that happens on there.

Once you start it's thing that you should register for modules through, be able to check your timetable on, see your personal tutors name and so on. In my experience it has not worked and I gather this is quite common :laugh:

Although one useful bit of info to take from that is if you DO need to do anything on portico, do it at the first opportunity because it's always going down for maintenance or not working properly!

I see thank you! 😊

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending