The Student Room Group

Worried I’ll struggle financially at uni

I’ll be going to Durham University and my rent will be £7.2k which is more than I expected (I requested shared bathroom facilities to save money but I was given an en-suite), and I’ll be getting the full maintenance loan of £9.9k and I have £2.5k saved up, I’m worried that I won’t have enough money and that I’ll struggle to afford things like textbooks and food and necessities. I don’t know whether my best option is to see if I could defer entry until 2024 or if I would have enough money as long as I budget carefully, I’m worried it could get to a point where I end up dropping out because I can’t afford to live there, is this realistic or is it more likely with careful budgeting I would be okay?
Original post by Anonymous
I’ll be going to Durham University and my rent will be £7.2k which is more than I expected (I requested shared bathroom facilities to save money but I was given an en-suite), and I’ll be getting the full maintenance loan of £9.9k and I have £2.5k saved up, I’m worried that I won’t have enough money and that I’ll struggle to afford things like textbooks and food and necessities. I don’t know whether my best option is to see if I could defer entry until 2024 or if I would have enough money as long as I budget carefully, I’m worried it could get to a point where I end up dropping out because I can’t afford to live there, is this realistic or is it more likely with careful budgeting I would be okay?

Hello!

It's definitely worth consulting the University student financial support team about your situation, as they may be able to offer some alternative solutions/support and advice.

https://www.durham.ac.uk/cost-living-hub/financial-support/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_oL99JGMgQMVCD8GAB3RLgHFEAAYASAAEgI_mvD_BwE

Depending on whether you prefer physical copies of textbooks or not, most textbooks are digitally available online for free via Learn Ultra (University Dashboard where you'll find all your lectures/pre-reading and academic resources) so you don't necessarily have to buy them; But if you prefer physical copies, it's quite easy and convenient to borrow textbooks and learning material from the University library or college library.

As for food/shopping/necessities, Tesco in Durham is quite overpriced to be frank but there are cheaper supermarkets in Durham like Iceland and Poundland and I found it easier to budget when I did my food shop from those specific supermarkets. There are various small businesses in Durham where you can get your food shop from that offer discounts and are also cheaper than in supermarkets, especially if you visit the indoor Durham markets and the Sat-Sun Markets in Market Place.

Robinsons Greengrocers in North Road is a good place to buy any fruits/veg at a reasonable price and they also offer a student discount!

A lot of cafes/restaurants in Durham also offer student discounts so living on a budget is not impossible in Durham. A place I always recommend is Zaps Burrito Bar, Tortilla and Kokoro, they offer great meal deals and great student discounts on meals and the food portion size is very good.

You can also use apps like Student Beans and UNIDays for more students discounts and also apps like Too Good to Go if you're looking to carefully budget.

As for transport, with Arriva buses, students also have discounted tickets priced at 1 Pound, and all you need to do is show them your Campus card!

I wish you the best of luck and I hope this information helps!

-Ghala
(Official DU Rep)

Most students work either part-time through the terms or for chunks of the holidays, especially the long summer holidays.
Try for a room swap?
There is an Aldi and Lidl if that helps.
You should be okay- as long as you stick to a tight weekly budget. :smile:
For groceries, alcohol, clothes, stationary supplies, books and your social life.
Have you considered getting a part time job alongside your studies?

Take care to limit your spending on booze, takeaways, readymeals, expensive restaurant meals and ticketed events.
Use your uni photoid and any other student cards you have to benefit from as many relevant student discounts as possible
Good luck!

Hiya

On top of Ghala's amazing advice, I'd say try and get a part-time job also. There are several local options available like in independent cafes and supermarkets like Tesco, Sainsbury's etc. Several jobs are also available on campus ranging from within your college bar to university departments like marketing, careers, admissions etc. Vacancies for Durham Student Ambassadors open at the beginning of every academic year around October so you can apply for that when you come here. Roles also open during the academic year sometimes. These jobs are great because they're flexible around your studies and pay more than minimum wage. All of them are advertised on the Student Services Portal and you'd be able to access this if you already have your Durham email and password.

For food specifically, there is a mobile app called Too Good To Go where good quality food is available at a very low cost- this includes meals from restaurants in the city as well as university cafes and college dining halls. Several students use this and have found it really great as it also prevents food wastage. Additionally, the Student Union also runs a food bank where you can self-refer and collect food parcels specific to your dietary requirements.

-Himieka

I am stressing because the accommodation is so expensive and I qualify for the lowest maintenance loan, I think around £4700, so I am not sure how I am going to make up that difference and more to be able to actually live 😂
Original post by chloefallows06
I am stressing because the accommodation is so expensive and I qualify for the lowest maintenance loan, I think around £4700, so I am not sure how I am going to make up that difference and more to be able to actually live 😂
me same with London when average prices are £300😭😭

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending