The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

Cardiff University Maths students - What are/were your experiences of Cardiff?

Hi! I'm currently looking to study at Cardiff University and would really appreciate it if any current or past Maths students could tell me about their experiences at Cardiff?

Any specific positives and negatives of your course? What is the support like? What do you enjoy, or wish had been done differently? Course difficulty? Etc.

Thank you!
Reply 1
heyy, im a first year financial maths student. at cardiff uni all maths courses are pretty much taught together for the first year except a few optional modules.you should compare modules that cardiff does to other unis . the structure is u learn 5 modules per semester 2 are dual semester then at the end of each semester you have formal exams on them. its quite content heavy in my opinion so if you miss one lecture you will be behind so i recommend never missing any otherwise it can get really stressful. cardiff does have a maths support service so if you cant figure a question out they can help you aswell as student mentors and personal tutors so there is quite a bit of support in place.the course itself may be harder or easier to others depending on what a levels you did people who did further maths or computing will find first year easier since you start with further maths topics.the teaching structure was just lectures and tutorials (exercise classes) ran by second yr phd students but now its a mixture of lectures and workshops (kinda like school) as-well as some online classes but mostly in person. a negative about this course is that you dont really get mocks they let u see past papers but most dont have solutions a positive is that the maths building was recently built for this year so it looks really nice and is right next to the student union.
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by noclue?
heyy, im a first year financial maths student. at cardiff uni all maths courses are pretty much taught together for the first year except a few optional modules.you should compare modules that cardiff does to other unis . the structure is u learn 5 modules per semester 2 are dual semester then at the end of each semester you have formal exams on them. its quite content heavy in my opinion so if you miss one lecture you will be behind so i recommend never missing any otherwise it can get really stressful. cardiff does have a maths support service so if you cant figure a question out they can help you aswell as student mentors and personal tutors so there is quite a bit of support in place.the course itself may be harder or easier to others depending on what a levels you did people who did further maths or computing will find first year easier since you start with further maths topics.the teaching structure was just lectures and tutorials (exercise classes) ran by second yr phd students but now its a mixture of lectures and workshops (kinda like school) as-well as some online classes but mostly in person. a negative about this course is that you dont really get mocks they let u see past papers but most dont have solutions a positive is that the maths building was recently built for this year so it looks really nice and is right next to the student union.

Thank you very much for your reply, it really helps.
Would you say the jump from A-Level Maths to uni maths is very difficult? I've heard that the maths lecturers at Cardiff are a bit "hands off" so I'm worried that I'll have no support if I struggle with any of the modules. Thanks again :smile:
Reply 3
For any subject from A-level to uni is a jump but I would say at the start it definitely feels like it but u start to get used to it . As for the lecturers they just talk at u but u can shout out and ask questions and they do question us but not so much in lectures but in workshops they are really hands on .
Original post by noclue?

I'm looking at starting financial mathematics in September, how much finance is in the course compared to the maths and I scraped an A in maths in A level and was wondering if the course will be too hard?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending