The Student Room Group

Lost the ability to love?

I couldn't be with someone I really loved. I met him in 2017 and it was literally love at first sight. I understand it was attraction at first sight but it was so strong and so intense. The best part was that it was mutual. He felt the same as I did when we saw each other for the first time.

It was a beautiful feeling and I had never felt the way I did. Anyway, we couldn't be together and I had to accept that we were not together and will never be.

He moved away to Spain, found a Spanish girlfriend and I continued living in London.

It was so difficult and I couldn't get over him until 2021. I eventually realised that he would never return back and we were never meant to be together.

I did move on and dated a few guys but ever since I moved on, I can no longer feel any affection or love. I can be attracted to a guy but it doesnt feel the same as it did with my ex. I also have a lot of distrust towards guys and relationships because the guys I dated only wanted to hook up and actually had no interest in me as a person. So I try to remain aloof.

Even if the guy is super attractive, I still don't get butterflies. I dont know what has happened to me.

I'm still a romantic and I still yearn for romance but I don't know if there is a guy I can experience this with.

I dont know what to do.

I'm 32 now but I don't want to be 35-39 and single and lonely. I see so many women in their mid to late thirties who are so insecure and unhappy with their lives and whenever I see them or hear their excuses. I'm always like I dont want to be their shoes.

But with the way I'm going, I don't know.
Is this normal or have I lost the ability to love?
(edited 7 months ago)
If you weren't together he's not your ex. Why couldn't a relationship happen between you and him?
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
If you weren't together he's not your ex. Why couldn't a relationship happen between you and him?

We were together but it didn't work out
Original post by durhamtravel
We were together but it didn't work out

You said you had to accept that you were not together? Did you actually date, say you were official? Why didn't it work out?
Original post by durhamtravel
I couldn't be with someone I really loved. I met him in 2017 and it was literally love at first sight. I understand it was attraction at first sight but it was so strong and so intense. The best part was that it was mutual. He felt the same as I did when we saw each other for the first time.

It was a beautiful feeling and I had never felt the way I did. Anyway, we couldn't be together and I had to accept that we were not together and will never be.

He moved away to Spain, found a Spanish girlfriend and I continued living in London.

It was so difficult and I couldn't get over him until 2021. I eventually realised that he would never return back and we were never meant to be together.

I did move on and dated a few guys but ever since I moved on, I can no longer feel any affection or love. I can be attracted to a guy but it doesnt feel the same as it did with my ex. I also have a lot of distrust towards guys and relationships because the guys I dated only wanted to hook up and actually had no interest in me as a person. So I try to remain aloof.

Even if the guy is super attractive, I still don't get butterflies. I dont know what has happened to me.

I'm still a romantic and I still yearn for romance but I don't know if there is a guy I can experience this with.

I dont know what to do.

I'm 32 now but I don't want to be 35-39 and single and lonely. I see so many women in their mid to late thirties who are so insecure and unhappy with their lives and whenever I see them or hear their excuses. I'm always like I dont want to be their shoes.

But with the way I'm going, I don't know.
Is this normal or have I lost the ability to love?

Reading all the posts you have made lately I highly recommend you seeking a therapist. You cannot assume other’s thoughts and feelings match your own when they very clear don’t.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending