The Student Room Group

moving to uni via public transport

hey guys, as the title suggests im just looking for any advice or general guidance on moving into university via public transport.
some background:
i’m from south wales, hopefully going to york in september. my mum has arthritis and also our car is nearly dead, so she is unable to drive me that far to york.

we have decided to travel up the day before i move in and stay in a hotel etc etc… any tips on what i should and should not take? we don’t know if we are going to go by coach or train. i’d prefer coach because i get really embarrassed lugging around luggage through the train stations, and a coach would mean less physical strain on my mum.

so far all i know is that i will bring majority of the clothes that i want to, and obviously things like toiletries and my laptop. would the best course of action for things such as bedding be buying it all when i get to york? i know some universities offer packages for moving in so maybe i can see what york offers. regarding my books and more sentimental things that aren’t really necessities i don’t know if i should just not bring them at all or possibly get them shipped out by my family after i have moved in?!

any advice or people who have actually done a similar thing would be appreciated as im quite anxious if you couldn’t tell!!!
You can book assistance with your luggage on trains if you think you will struggle. Especially if your mum has arthritis.

Start looking into vaccuum bags and suitcases and see how you get on.

You can always take a sleeping bag and a pillow for the first few nights/week or so if transporting a duvet is going to be a struggle.

Taking heavy things with you and posting/shipping lighter items is usually t he cheapest option but might be difficult.
Original post by katebeffff
hey guys, as the title suggests im just looking for any advice or general guidance on moving into university via public transport.
some background:
i’m from south wales, hopefully going to york in september. my mum has arthritis and also our car is nearly dead, so she is unable to drive me that far to york.
we have decided to travel up the day before i move in and stay in a hotel etc etc… any tips on what i should and should not take? we don’t know if we are going to go by coach or train. i’d prefer coach because i get really embarrassed lugging around luggage through the train stations, and a coach would mean less physical strain on my mum.
so far all i know is that i will bring majority of the clothes that i want to, and obviously things like toiletries and my laptop. would the best course of action for things such as bedding be buying it all when i get to york? i know some universities offer packages for moving in so maybe i can see what york offers. regarding my books and more sentimental things that aren’t really necessities i don’t know if i should just not bring them at all or possibly get them shipped out by my family after i have moved in?!
any advice or people who have actually done a similar thing would be appreciated as im quite anxious if you couldn’t tell!!!
@katebeffff

It will likely be quicker to go by train, but I don't know if you can get a direct train, so it may be difficult going from platform to platform though there should be lifts available. Trains tend to not have so much luggage space and you might need to sit near your belongings if you are bringing up a lot of things, so it might be easier to catch the coach, so that you can place all your stuff securely and not have to worry about moving bags or suitcases out of people's way.

Try to take the essentials if they are light. Once you have your accommodation address you can order items to be delivered there on the day you move in or on the following day once you have arrived. This could include bed linen, pots and pans and tableware (plates, mugs etc) though you could also pick up tableware once you've arrived. You can buy stuff when you get up there, so as long as you think through how to manage the first day you arrive e.g. a portable coffee cup, paper plates, have a handful of cutlery, food that you can eat that doesn't need to be heated or choose inexpensive takeaway options, then I think you should be fine.

Finally, books will take up a lot of space and are heavy, so it might be best to avoid bringing them up. The university should be well stocked with books that you need for your course and anything you want in addition you can pick up at a bookshop or again can order online or can even you bring them up after your first trip home.

All the best,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 3
Original post by University of Huddersfield
some background:
@katebeffff

It will likely be quicker to go by train, but I don't know if you can get a direct train, so it may be difficult going from platform to platform though there should be lifts available. Trains tend to not have so much luggage space and you might need to sit near your belongings if you are bringing up a lot of things, so it might be easier to catch the coach, so that you can place all your stuff securely and not have to worry about moving bags or suitcases out of people's way.

Try to take the essentials if they are light. Once you have your accommodation address you can order items to be delivered there on the day you move in or on the following day once you have arrived. This could include bed linen, pots and pans and tableware (plates, mugs etc) though you could also pick up crockery once you've arrived). You can buy stuff when you get up there, so as long as you think through how to manage the first day you arrive e.g. a portable coffee cup, paper plates, have a handful of cutlery, food that you can eat that doesn't need to be heated or choose inexpensive takeaway options, then I think you should be fine.

Finally, books will take up a lot of space and are heavy, so it might be best to avoid bringing them up. The university should be well stocked with books that you need for your course and anything you want in addition you can pick up at a bookshop or again can order online or can even you bring them up after your first trip home.

All the best,

Thank you so much for your reply!! You’re right about the books, just going to have to tell myself i really don’t need to bring them haha
Thank you so much for your reply!! You’re right about the books, just going to have to tell myself i really don’t need to bring them haha

@katebeffff

I love books too, including recipe books!

I ended up taking lot of photos of my favourite recipes and now refer to them on my phone.

All the best,

Reply 5
You'll need to bear in mind limits on the size/weight of your baggage when you're travelling, as well as the number of items allowed per passenger.

When arranging accommodation you may need to make sure you have a contract that includes Christmas and Easter vacations (and that if it doesn't there's somewhere suitable to store your stuff so you don't have to take it all home with you).
Reply 6
some background:
Hi! So when you place deliveries to your accommodation, it immediately goes to the college receptions (west) or Campus East mailroom. So if you place some orders a few days before for kitchen stuff and bedding, you’ll be able to pick them up on move in day and take them across to your room. There’s also a Nisa on both campuses and a Sainsbury’s in the train station if you wanted to get any food or drink. Your flatmates will more than likely let you borrow things like plates and pans for the first few days if you aren’t able to get them straight away :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by phh03
some background:
Hi! So when you place deliveries to your accommodation, it immediately goes to the college receptions (west) or Campus East mailroom. So if you place some orders a few days before for kitchen stuff and bedding, you’ll be able to pick them up on move in day and take them across to your room. There’s also a Nisa on both campuses and a Sainsbury’s in the train station if you wanted to get any food or drink. Your flatmates will more than likely let you borrow things like plates and pans for the first few days if you aren’t able to get them straight away :smile:

thank you so much for this reply!!! really eased my mind a bit aha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending