The Student Room Group

Mental Health Nursing

Hey I just wanted to ask if anyone is studying mental health nursing with how the course will be like/how hard it is.

I got AAB equivalents in alevel (some were btec e.g applied science and health and social)

And what are typical days in uni like/how many days in uni, because I did interveiws and non of them were very clear on the answer to those questions I just got a “that depends”
Reply 1
Original post by Jess250922
Hey I just wanted to ask if anyone is studying mental health nursing with how the course will be like/how hard it is.

I got AAB equivalents in alevel (some were btec e.g applied science and health and social)

And what are typical days in uni like/how many days in uni, because I did interveiws and non of them were very clear on the answer to those questions I just got a “that depends”

Hi,
I’m just about to begin my MH nursing degree. I have had my timetable and it involves 3 days of lectures or clinical skills each week and two study days. Some of the lectures take place online, but most weeks involve actually attending campus.
From mid-January the first placement is scheduled for approximately 7 weeks.
The remainder of the academic year seems to follow the same format/rotation, although I believe this may vary depending on which Uni you attend.
I can’t tell you how hard it will be yet, but I’m expecting it to be very challenging and a full time commitment.
There are some great videos on nurses.co.uk that will give you a good insight into the degree.
Oxford Brookes University also have some detailed videos on YouTube about MH nursing as a career and the various rewards/challenges involved.
Original post by Jess250922

Hi Jess
It’s great to hear that you are going to study mental health nursing at University and congratulations on your results.

I study children’s nursing at Southampton University and in first year all fields of nursing are taught the same modules so hopefully I can provide you some useful insight. In terms of teaching at University structure can vary from year to year. For my first year I had 3 lectures a week, 1-2 seminars a week, a meeting every few weeks with my tutor group and then skills every so often in the simulation suite practicing blood pressure etc for either a half or full day. This was my first year structure and it is likely to vary due to timetabling and between Universities but this should give you a rough outline.
The content starts with the basics and builds upon this focusing on communication and basic anatomy before progressing to physical conditions and person-centred care. It can be hard at times like any course is, but there are so many lines of support you can access such as your personal academic tutor, the module lead, the library support team and student hub.

Placement can be challenging but at the same time so rewarding as you are able to make a difference in your patient’s life for the better. This may seem daunting at first but the University prepares you well teaching you the theory that you can then practice and apply on placement. It can be hard initially to settle in to placement and get your bearings but it will happen quicker than you think and the staff are very supportive. My biggest tip for placement would be take a big lunch for your break to keep you fuelled for the rest of your shift. Placement at Southampton is arranged into blocks so for a set number of weeks you would be working 37.5 hours a week like you would when qualified preparing you for after graduation.

I wish you the best of luck and let me know if you have any further questions

Caitlin 😊
BSc Children’s Nursing
Official University of Southampton Rep
Reply 3
has anyone done the Anatomy and Physiology exam yet? if so, is it multiple choice questions??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending