The Student Room Group

Best way to apply to dental school?

I decided to do dentistry after the deadline and beforehand was going to do dental hygiene. I don't have the normal requirements(Bio, CS, Psych) and was wondering if it would be better to apply for dentistry(I would do a course with a foundation/preliminary/gateway) after a gap year so i can take the UCAT and get experience or should I apply to dental hygiene and then do apply to dentistry afterwards. Would I have equal chances of getting in or is one route better than the other. Thanks, I know i wrote alot.
A gap year to go into dentistry (with a foundation year or whatever) would be miles better in terms of your chances of success and considerably cheaper, plus it will be infinitely more simple, so take your gap year and apply to dentistry :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Scotland Yard
A gap year to go into dentistry (with a foundation year or whatever) would be miles better in terms of your chances of success and considerably cheaper, plus it will be infinitely more simple, so take your gap year and apply to dentistry :smile:

Ok will take the advice but can I ask why it would increase my chances?
Original post by R.A.K
Ok will take the advice but can I ask why it would increase my chances?

Because the universities will very likely have a cap on the number of people doing dentistry as a second degree and you will be competing with a great deal of people for those spots. You can also apply to a programme aimed specifically for people doing dentistry as a second degree, but as far as I know only King's College London does one in the UK and the number of applicants per place is something else (in a bad, competitive way)
I offer advice on getting into dental school as I have coached multiple students before on where they have the best chances, ucat scores etc

Quick Reply

Latest