The Student Room Group

Training contract LPC but 3rd class LLB

Hey guys, I wasn't interested in being a solicitor in the UK at first but now im only 3 months away from completing my LLM LPC with the University of Law and I'd really like to secure a training contract in the UK. I'm currently domiciled abroad, but, I am a uk citizen, what are my chances of securing a TC with a 3rd class LLB & LLM/LPC? Thank you for your time!
What type of law do you want to do?
Reply 2
Original post by Gmaster1980
What type of law do you want to do?

I dont really mind that much tbh, In trinidad and tobago (where I currently am) all I have to do is a 6 month attachment with an attorney who has been called for at least 10 years then I am eligible to be called to the bar. Criminal law is pretty big here so i was thinking that...but my LLM is in law and business, so im pretty flexible
Not a great chance if I’m being honest. Some firms may allow a 2:2 classification (although certainly not the bigger ones) but a 3rd is very low. To put it into context the vast majority of law students/graduates applying for TCs will have a 2:2 or above so you will need to be able to explain why your grades are so low.

The reality is that the legal profession is not easy. Academics are a good indicator that you can cope with the intellectually challenging aspect of it. If you have a good reason why you failed to achieve a higher grade, you might be considered. But (in my own humble and honest opinion) I think you’ve got a few mountains to climb if you want to break into the field.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by sublime-baths
Not a great chance if I’m being honest. Some firms may allow a 2:2 classification (although certainly not the bigger ones) but a 3rd is very low. To put it into context the vast majority of law students/graduates applying for TCs will have a 2:2 or above so you will need to be able to explain why your grades are so low.

The reality is that the legal profession is not easy. Academics are a good indicator that you can cope with the intellectually challenging aspect of it. If you have a good reason why you failed to achieve a higher grade, you might be considered. But (in my own humble and honest opinion) I think you’ve got a few mountains to climb if you want to break into the field.

Thank you very much for the honest opinion, yeah it really would be a quite onerous task breaking into the profession through a TC rn given my classification...I'm strongly considering the route of doing a 6 month attachment here, working as a lawyer for a year and then coming to england after that period to apply for a TC. But that ocmplicates things quite a lot and nobody ive spoken to irl really has much answers in the way that works...
Reply 5
Original post by jman6765
Thank you very much for the honest opinion, yeah it really would be a quite onerous task breaking into the profession through a TC rn given my classification...I'm strongly considering the route of doing a 6 month attachment here, working as a lawyer for a year and then coming to england after that period to apply for a TC. But that ocmplicates things quite a lot and nobody ive spoken to irl really has much answers in the way that works...

Although that would help, only working in law for a year may not sufficiently draw attention away from your poor degree performance, as by that point you won't have built up much of a career or brand for them to be able to ignore the degree.
Reply 6
Original post by sublime-baths

lies i am a trainee solicitor with a third class its all down to work experience when you finish your uni
Reply 7
Opspsopsop - I'd suggest you are a *very* rare exception. It can be tough enough with a 2.1 to get a training contract, even more so with a 2.2 (in absence of well documented mitigating circumstances).

Can you give some more context here and talk us through your path to securing your training contract with a third? Eg: Are you training in PP or inhouse? Are you training at a place you paralegalled, and if so for how long? How many applications did you have to make? What about your application do you think made you stand out about the other candidates, with 2.1s or firsts, who *also* would have had lots of relevant work experience?

EDIT - have just realised you responded to a 2 year old post...
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by AMac86
Opspsopsop - I'd suggest you are a *very* rare exception. It can be tough enough with a 2.1 to get a training contract, even more so with a 2.2 (in absence of well documented mitigating circumstances).

Can you give some more context here and talk us through your path to securing your training contract with a third? Eg: Are you training in PP or inhouse? Are you training at a place you paralegalled, and if so for how long? How many applications did you have to make? What about your application do you think made you stand out about the other candidates, with 2.1s or firsts, who *also* would have had lots of relevant work experience?

EDIT - have just realised you responded to a 2 year old post...

I tend to ignore those kind of posters. It is quite obvious a 3rd will set you back a lot, if not make it impossible to enter the legal profession. Sure, it might be possible to paralegal your way up into a high street family run business, but even then the chances are slim. I’d be very concerned if the SRA was regularly admitting to the roll individuals with such poor performance, barring some very serious mitigation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending