The Student Room Group

Non-Russel group Law, what are my chances?

I achieved a 2:1 grade in LLB Law from a non Russel-Group uni. I understand that TC and vacation schemes are most likely out of the question however, I would love some advice on how to make myself more employable for law firms despite not having the idea academic background? Would a masters tip the scale in my favour?
Bro, you have a chance to get a TC and a Vac schemes are you joking, bro my interviewer for a vac scheme went to a non-russell group uni, a partner in a law firm I had work experience went to a non-russell group uni. Forget about 'prestiege', get experience legal or not, do extra curricular activites but yourself out there, apply to everything from open days to vac schemes to Tcs. This belief that vac schemes and Tc's arent achievable if you dont go to a russell group is so stupid, if u meet the requirements to apply, apply.
Original post by Fm14
I achieved a 2:1 grade in LLB Law from a non Russel-Group uni. I understand that TC and vacation schemes are most likely out of the question however, I would love some advice on how to make myself more employable for law firms despite not having the idea academic background? Would a masters tip the scale in my favour?

Hi there

Congratulations on your grade, a 2:1 is a really decent grade and there are still chances of securing training contracts and vacation schemes.

There are many law students that have attended non-Russel group universities that have gotten into magic/ silver circle firms. Although applications can be challenging, they are certainly still possible.

In your applications, show off your interest in law through your work experiences and transferrable skills. It is totally okay if you do not have any at the moment. The advice I was given was to secure different paralegal opportunities and other legal based work. Instead of a masters, perhaps building up your legal knowledge through experience can reflect your keen interest in the practice of law. Once you have these experiences, it will make it easier for you to secure training contracts. :smile: It is never too late to apply for training contracts as they offer you a secure job opportunity. (So take time to build up your CV and applications!)

Good luck :smile:
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep
Original post by University of Kent
Hi there

Congratulations on your grade, a 2:1 is a really decent grade and there are still chances of securing training contracts and vacation schemes.

There are many law students that have attended non-Russel group universities that have gotten into magic/ silver circle firms. Although applications can be challenging, they are certainly still possible.

In your applications, show off your interest in law through your work experiences and transferrable skills. It is totally okay if you do not have any at the moment. The advice I was given was to secure different paralegal opportunities and other legal based work. Instead of a masters, perhaps building up your legal knowledge through experience can reflect your keen interest in the practice of law. Once you have these experiences, it will make it easier for you to secure training contracts. :smile: It is never too late to apply for training contracts as they offer you a secure job opportunity. (So take time to build up your CV and applications!)

Good luck :smile:
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep

Thank you for your kind words, I needed to hear them😁
Original post by Fm14

Hi @Fm14

There is absolutely no reason why you wouldn't be able to get a TC or a vac scheme. Often, firms redact the information concerning where you went to school and university so all they see is your grade and a 2:1 is perfectly acceptable to be applying with! I would say that to make your application really stand out, it would be a good idea to get some legal experience whether that is through pro-bono with charities, mooting or in fact anything else that demonstrates you have transferrable skills.

I hope this helps and good luck!

Sophie 🙂
Original post by UniofLaw Student
Hi @Fm14

There is absolutely no reason why you wouldn't be able to get a TC or a vac scheme. Often, firms redact the information concerning where you went to school and university so all they see is your grade and a 2:1 is perfectly acceptable to be applying with! I would say that to make your application really stand out, it would be a good idea to get some legal experience whether that is through pro-bono with charities, mooting or in fact anything else that demonstrates you have transferrable skills.

I hope this helps and good luck!

Sophie 🙂

Thank you, this advice is great!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending