The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

BSc (Hons) Biology with the OU

What is the course like? Is it respected? Will universities accept it if I want to go on to a more 'traditional' university course? Thanks :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
What is the course like? Is it respected? Will universities accept it if I want to go on to a more 'traditional' university course? Thanks :smile:

I am currently in year 2 doing BSc Biology with OU, and it's nothing but fun !! All the materials and modules are online, with lots of interactive contents, with the online OU laboratory. The studies are quite flexible, and you can choose to do part-time or full-time.
BSc Biology in OU has been 'awarded interim accreditation by the Royal Society of Biology.' I have read that lots of alumni have successfully moved on to postgraduate studies in many prestigious universities, and even on to the STP programme.

Hope this helps
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Original post by humazhs
I am currently in year 2 doing BSc Biology with OU, and it's nothing but fun !! All the materials and modules are online, with lots of interactive contents, with the online OU laboratory. The studies are quite flexible, and you can choose to do part-time or full-time.
BSc Biology in OU has been 'awarded interim accreditation by the Royal Society of Biology.' I have read that lots of alumni have successfully moved on to postgraduate studies in many prestigious universities, and even on to the STP programme.

Hope this helps

Thanks! This is super helpful! :smile::smile::smile:
Original post by humazhs

Hope this helps

Hey, sorry to jump in and steer away from the thread slightly, but I was wondering if you could explain a little more about your experience with the OU lab? OU would be a perfect fit for myself to do a biology degree (I have already studied another degree with the OU prior, not science), but I am slightly worried about not getting "practical" experience as I would in a brick university
Reply 4
Original post by missskittles
Hey, sorry to jump in and steer away from the thread slightly, but I was wondering if you could explain a little more about your experience with the OU lab? OU would be a perfect fit for myself to do a biology degree (I have already studied another degree with the OU prior, not science), but I am slightly worried about not getting "practical" experience as I would in a brick university

Hi,
OU has an online STEM laboratory, where there are many interactive on-screen instruments to collect data from.
In addition, some modules require you to collect your own data by performing 'home experiments', where we perform experiments at home, using simple, easily-available products.
Also, some modules have an optional field trips nd lab schools, but these come at an additional cost.
Hope this helps.

Quick Reply

Latest