The Student Room Group

Dropping out of uni and starting a few years later as a mature student

Dropped out of uni because I wasn't enjoying the course and wanted to gain work experience in a job. After a few years in paid employment I now feel that I want to go back to the same uni but a different course. Is it common for people to drop out and then re-enrol as a mature student is that an odd thing to do?
I did it oppositely. I restarted at a different uni but in a very similar course.

I dropped out of BA Hons Classical Studies at Leeds in 2008. I transferred the credits across to the OU and started second year of BA Hons Classical Studies in 2021.
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
I did it oppositely. I restarted at a different uni but in a very similar course.

I dropped out of BA Hons Classical Studies at Leeds in 2008. I transferred the credits across to the OU and started second year of BA Hons Classical Studies in 2021.

Ah ok so sort of a similar situation then. If I may ask, what's been your experience with the OU only I have a friend who wants to study a degree via the OU but he's worried that it's looked down on compared to a degree, say, from a traditional uni?
Original post by 2024MM
Ah ok so sort of a similar situation then. If I may ask, what's been your experience with the OU only I have a friend who wants to study a degree via the OU but he's worried that it's looked down on compared to a degree, say, from a traditional uni?

It's not looked down on. People have gone on to do Masters at Oxbridge after having obtained a BA or BSc at the OU, so if it's not looked down on by Oxbridge, then it's not looked down on :wink:
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
It's not looked down on. People have gone on to do Masters at Oxbridge after having obtained a BA or BSc at the OU, so if it's not looked down on by Oxbridge, then it's not looked down on :wink:

Oh right I didn't know that. Thanks. I'll let him know.
Reply 5
Sure, the best thing I ever did.

Dropped out 2012, worked for 10 years, then decided it was the right time to go back in 2022.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending