The Student Room Group

I wanna take Criminology as an Alevel

Basically I’m taking IT, Business and phycology as Alevels right now but I don’t know wether I should drop business for crim or do crim as a 4th one. I like business but it can be a bit boring at times. With crim, there’s not much I can really do with the diploma. I’m not even 100% what I wanna do yet any advice would be greatly appreciated
Original post by KR0116
Basically I’m taking IT, Business and phycology as Alevels right now but I don’t know wether I should drop business for crim or do crim as a 4th one. I like business but it can be a bit boring at times. With crim, there’s not much I can really do with the diploma. I’m not even 100% what I wanna do yet any advice would be greatly appreciated

None of the subjects you have mentioned are required subjects for degrees, so I guesst it really comes down to personal preference.

Computer science tends to ask for A Level Maths. Business requires no specific subject, unless it's in something related to finance (A Level Maths if it's quantitative). Psychology generally doesn't require specific subjects, but there might be some that asks for Psychology/Biology at A Level. Criminology degrees do not require specific subjects.

I don't know what you intend to do at uni, but your subjects tend to allow you to go into the following subjects:

Anything in business expect for financial mathematics and actuarial science (for obvious reasons)

Law (not likely the top end unis because your choices aren't specifically academic)

Anthropology

Archaeology

Sociology and criminology

Most psychology degrees

Some degrees in creative writing and English literature

Nonquantiative economics degrees

Education

Theology

Politics

Philosophy

Linguistics

Agriculture

Some art and design degrees, including architecture

Some geography degrees (usually ones with emphasis on human geography)

Film

Game design

Hospitality

Property and urban planning

Journalism

Media studies

Nursing

Paramedic science

Social work

If you can't really do much with the diploma, then I would advise adding it as a 4th A Level and drop it if it is really affecting your grades in the other subjects.
Reply 2
Original post by MindMax2000
None of the subjects you have mentioned are required subjects for degrees, so I guesst it really comes down to personal preference.

Computer science tends to ask for A Level Maths. Business requires no specific subject, unless it's in something related to finance (A Level Maths if it's quantitative). Psychology generally doesn't require specific subjects, but there might be some that asks for Psychology/Biology at A Level. Criminology degrees do not require specific subjects.

I don't know what you intend to do at uni, but your subjects tend to allow you to go into the following subjects:

Anything in business expect for financial mathematics and actuarial science (for obvious reasons)

Law (not likely the top end unis because your choices aren't specifically academic)

Anthropology

Archaeology

Sociology and criminology

Most psychology degrees

Some degrees in creative writing and English literature

Nonquantiative economics degrees

Education

Theology

Politics

Philosophy

Linguistics

Agriculture

Some art and design degrees, including architecture

Some geography degrees (usually ones with emphasis on human geography)

Film

Game design

Hospitality

Property and urban planning

Journalism

Media studies

Nursing

Paramedic science

Social work

If you can't really do much with the diploma, then I would advise adding it as a 4th A Level and drop it if it is really affecting your grades in the other subjects.

Do you think taking a degree level apprenticeship in some type of IT course would be a good idea? Going into IT is something I am thinking about. I appreciate your comment a lot.
Original post by KR0116

The WJEC Level 3 Applied Diploma in Criminology is not an A level and some unis do not accept it. I'd recommend that you don't take it and find another A level if you really don't want to do business any more. Also, don't do four A levels - unis only require three and you won't get bonus points for doing extra.

The following resources might help you explore career options:

https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/a-level-explorer

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by KR0116
Do you think taking a degree level apprenticeship in some type of IT course would be a good idea? Going into IT is something I am thinking about. I appreciate your comment a lot.

I can't say I can give much advice on degree level apprenticeships. The general opinion of getting into tech is that it's generally better to get into an apprenticeship in order to get into the field than doing a degree. Having said that, there are numerous drawbacks and some places would still require a degree in computer science (I don't get it either).

You're better off getting a second opinion from people who work in tech.

Having said that, if you're confident, there's nothing stopping you from doing an A Level in Maths in your gap year as a private candidate (there might be some colleges that offer you places as a 19+, but they might require specific GCSE grades).

Quick Reply

Latest