The Student Room Group

Can i take alevels as a trainee teacher?

Im a trainee maths teacher without any level 3 qualifications in maths. Would i be allowed to sit the alevel exam before i get QTS? Im doing a SKE course and have experience teaching maths so i was allowed on the PGCE, but i want to be able to teach alevel, and i know some schools wont be a fan of me not having passed it myself. I assume i wouldn't be allowed after qualifying as a teacher but if im still not a teacher then maybe itd be allowed? Google is no help here!
Original post by cf18372
Im a trainee maths teacher without any level 3 qualifications in maths. Would i be allowed to sit the alevel exam before i get QTS? Im doing a SKE course and have experience teaching maths so i was allowed on the PGCE, but i want to be able to teach alevel, and i know some schools wont be a fan of me not having passed it myself. I assume i wouldn't be allowed after qualifying as a teacher but if im still not a teacher then maybe itd be allowed? Google is no help here!

It seems a bit shocking that you're training to be a maths teacher without even an A-level! But fair enough.

Yes, it would be a good idea to get an A-level in maths, as it will probably reflect better on you when it comes to getting a job. I'm sure that your PGCE provider would allow you to take a couple of mornings / afternoons out from your course in order to sit the papers, you'd just have to find a centre where you could sit them and pay the fees to do so. I would assume it wouldn't be permitted for that centre to be the school you are training at, due to conflicts of interest.

Something to be aware of is that some schools won't be so keen for you to teach A-level if you don't have a somewhat relevant degree (e.g. maths, physics, engineering), as they often like you to have a 'level above' the level you're teaching at. Of course, since maths is a shortage subjects, some schools will accept you anyway, it's just something worth being aware of. Once you've taught A-level in one school though, it shouldn't be a particular issue.
Reply 2
Original post by cf18372

I honestly wouldn't let you teach A level without a Maths degree.

I wouldn't let you teach GCSE without A level - I'm shocked you've been allowed on a PGCE ...
Reply 3
Original post by bluebeetle
It seems a bit shocking that you're training to be a maths teacher without even an A-level! But fair enough.

Yes, it would be a good idea to get an A-level in maths, as it will probably reflect better on you when it comes to getting a job. I'm sure that your PGCE provider would allow you to take a couple of mornings / afternoons out from your course in order to sit the papers, you'd just have to find a centre where you could sit them and pay the fees to do so. I would assume it wouldn't be permitted for that centre to be the school you are training at, due to conflicts of interest.

Something to be aware of is that some schools won't be so keen for you to teach A-level if you don't have a somewhat relevant degree (e.g. maths, physics, engineering), as they often like you to have a 'level above' the level you're teaching at. Of course, since maths is a shortage subjects, some schools will accept you anyway, it's just something worth being aware of. Once you've taught A-level in one school though, it shouldn't be a particular issue.

Ive already taught maths without QTS so it shouldnt be an issue, my teaching experience got me on the PGCE. Some people didnt have a smooth educational journey and its nice that people are beginning to see that. Im gonna talk to my ITT about it but my question was more about whether the exam board would allow it given that maths is my teaching subject
Reply 4
Original post by cf18372
Ive already taught maths without QTS so it shouldnt be an issue, my teaching experience got me on the PGCE. Some people didnt have a smooth educational journey and its nice that people are beginning to see that. Im gonna talk to my ITT about it but my question was more about whether the exam board would allow it given that maths is my teaching subject

What degree did you do?
Reply 5
Original post by Muttley79
What degree did you do?

Criminology, my UG provider took me on for ITT based on almost a year of teaching maths as supply
Reply 6
Original post by cf18372
Criminology, my UG provider took me on for ITT based on almost a year of teaching maths as supply

I teach Maths and am on SLT so involved in recruiting. I would strongly recommend doing A level Maths - I really don't think you'll get a teaching post at a good school without it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending