The Student Room Group

A Level choices + combinations?

Hi, I'm wondering which subjects I should take for A Level. I currently study English language, English lit, maths, physics, chemistry, biology, geography, drama, French and Spanish for GCSE and I'm on track to get 9s in the majority of these.
I know that I want to do English for A Level (leaning towards a joint English language + literature course), but I'm not sure other than that. I liked the look of the sociology course at my chosen sixth form but I've been told that sociology is a 'soft' subject that is looked down upon. I really enjoy drama GCSE and have been thinking about possible joint English and drama degrees at uni, so drama is a real possibility but I've been told similar things about it being soft. English degrees in general interest me, but I haven't narrowed down to a specific and would also be open to other ideas. I dislike history so although it may have been a good fit, I don't want to take it. Other subjects I have considered are maths (I'm good at it), geography (I took it for GCSE), politics (I'm interested in it) and psychology (also interested in it).

Any advice for good combinations of these subjects?
English Lit, Politics and Drama?

I know it's a little early, but which unis are you thinking of applying to?
Original post by amberL.0905
Hi, I'm wondering which subjects I should take for A Level. I currently study English language, English lit, maths, physics, chemistry, biology, geography, drama, French and Spanish for GCSE and I'm on track to get 9s in the majority of these.
I know that I want to do English for A Level (leaning towards a joint English language + literature course), but I'm not sure other than that. I liked the look of the sociology course at my chosen sixth form but I've been told that sociology is a 'soft' subject that is looked down upon. I really enjoy drama GCSE and have been thinking about possible joint English and drama degrees at uni, so drama is a real possibility but I've been told similar things about it being soft. English degrees in general interest me, but I haven't narrowed down to a specific and would also be open to other ideas. I dislike history so although it may have been a good fit, I don't want to take it. Other subjects I have considered are maths (I'm good at it), geography (I took it for GCSE), politics (I'm interested in it) and psychology (also interested in it).

Any advice for good combinations of these subjects?

Hi! @amberL.0905

I studied geography and psychology and law at A Level. I enjoyed them all and found them interesting.
Geography allowed me to apply the subject to a broad range of matters, as it was a diverse subject.
Psychology was interesting, as you can apply it to everyday life.
Law was good because it meant I was able to improve my academic skills in writing.
I now study criminology with criminal justice. I know this is different from what you would like to do, but I hope it gives you an idea about possibilities.

Personally, I think its best to choose what you enjoy, as later down the line the subjects you do take will help you regardless. It also means it'll be easier for you to study. Especially, if you enjoy drama, as this takes on many different aspects of life.

I hope this helps!
Chloe - Official Student Rep :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Keir Starmer
English Lit, Politics and Drama?

I know it's a little early, but which unis are you thinking of applying to?

That's actually a combination I'm considering! Just a little hesitant because of the lack of 'facilitating' subjects. As for unis, I haven't really thought about it or looked into it.
That's actually a combination I'm considering! Just a little hesitant because of the lack of 'facilitating' subjects. As for unis, I haven't really thought about it or looked into it.

If you’re thinking of oxbridge you might wanna replace either politics or drama with a facilitating subject.
Reply 5
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hi! @amberL.0905

I studied geography and psychology and law at A Level. I enjoyed them all and found them interesting.
Geography allowed me to apply the subject to a broad range of matters, as it was a diverse subject.
Psychology was interesting, as you can apply it to everyday life.
Law was good because it meant I was able to improve my academic skills in writing.
I now study criminology with criminal justice. I know this is different from what you would like to do, but I hope it gives you an idea about possibilities.

Personally, I think its best to choose what you enjoy, as later down the line the subjects you do take will help you regardless. It also means it'll be easier for you to study. Especially, if you enjoy drama, as this takes on many different aspects of life.

I hope this helps!

Thanks for your advice! Criminology actually also interests me, and was part of the reason I looked at sociology (it's the closest thing at my sixth form). I have so many paths I'd like to take and narrowing it down is the issue, haha.
Thanks for your advice! Criminology actually also interests me, and was part of the reason I looked at sociology (it's the closest thing at my sixth form). I have so many paths I'd like to take and narrowing it down is the issue, haha.

Hi!

If you think that sociology is a soft subject, psychology is similar and I don't think it's considered soft as there is more science involved. And there is also a lot of criminology aspects to psychology as well if that interests you. One of the modules in criminology at Portsmouth was purely criminal/forensic psychology.

I hope you're starting to narrow it down.
Reply 7
No one will remember this post or care, but I'm applying to sixth forms now and I finally chose my subjects. I'm going to do combined English, maths, chemistry and politics. Random, I know, but I think I'm going to enjoy it!
Reply 8
No one will remember this post or care, but I'm applying to sixth forms now and I finally chose my subjects. I'm going to do combined English, maths, chemistry and politics. Random, I know, but I think I'm going to enjoy it!

Ended up doing bio chem and maths. LOL!
(edited 10 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest