The Student Room Group

Solicitor apprenticeship or Politics and International Relations degree?

I’m currently in year 13 and I’m looking to pursue a Politics and IR degree but, in terms of careers I know that I’d have to do a lot of networking and work experience outside my degree to find a job. However, I’m also interested in potentially doing a conversion course because I had the opportunity to be a legal intern and Herbert Smiths Freehills for a week and visit the in- house legal team at JP Morgan and many of the lawyers encouraged me to do a degree that I’m passionate in and later convert because many law firms pay for your GDL. However, there is the risk of not securing a Training Contract like many other law students and worst comes to worst not being able to fund my GDL. So, a solicitor apprenticeship sounds great in terms of your position is secure and you won’t need to worry about finding a TC. I’m conflicted as to whether I should still apply for an apprenticeship because the the job security aspect seems very appealing, but I know it will be difficult balancing studying and working as well as the SQE process. Also, the thought of doing law for that long seems daunting. I’m just confused about what I should do. Any advice?
Reply 1
Without any related work experience your degree and you as a candidate will have a lot less value.
Graduate schemes are very competitive to get into which is why apprentice schemes are gaining in popularity.
You should at least apply for apprentice schemes to see if you can get an offer.
It will not be easy working and studying but no worthwhile job is easy to get.
Thank you! I’m definitely going to apply because as you said no job is easy to get and there is nothing really to lose when applying
Original post by LouiseRu
Without any related work experience your degree and you as a candidate will have a lot less value.
Graduate schemes are very competitive to get into which is why apprentice schemes are gaining in popularity.
You should at least apply for apprentice schemes to see if you can get an offer.
It will not be easy working and studying but no worthwhile job is easy to get.
Original post by Florence_6791
I’m currently in year 13 and I’m looking to pursue a Politics and IR degree but, in terms of careers I know that I’d have to do a lot of networking and work experience outside my degree to find a job. However, I’m also interested in potentially doing a conversion course because I had the opportunity to be a legal intern and Herbert Smiths Freehills for a week and visit the in- house legal team at JP Morgan and many of the lawyers encouraged me to do a degree that I’m passionate in and later convert because many law firms pay for your GDL. However, there is the risk of not securing a Training Contract like many other law students and worst comes to worst not being able to fund my GDL. So, a solicitor apprenticeship sounds great in terms of your position is secure and you won’t need to worry about finding a TC. I’m conflicted as to whether I should still apply for an apprenticeship because the the job security aspect seems very appealing, but I know it will be difficult balancing studying and working as well as the SQE process. Also, the thought of doing law for that long seems daunting. I’m just confused about what I should do. Any advice?

Hi @Florence_6791!

There are lots of different ways to achieve a legal career in the UK and all of them have different pros as well as cons. Of course, you aren't wrong that TCs are competitive and, unfortunately, not everyone is able to secure one. However, there is also no reason why you wouldn't be able to get one. I have just finished my GDL and I would say about 50% of the students doing it had TCs and 50% didn't. Even if you don't get a TC you can do a MA Law or MA Law (SQE) at the University of Law which is the GLD and then an additional element such as a dissertation which makes it a Master's level degree so you can get SFE funding for the course! If you are interested in the apprenticeship route, I would recommend reaching out to the University of Law study team as they are in contact with lots of firms that do the apprenticeship :smile: I wouldn't worry about balancing the work with the apprenticeship route as it is designed for students to be able to study, work and do the SQE process so I believe you will be more than capable if you remain organised and focus.

At the end of the day, you have to do what feels right for you. If you want to study law for a long period then the apprenticeship may be the way to go. If you have a passion for another topic then I would definitely recommend doing a different degree and then a GDL like I did as this allows you to experience more than one topic in higher education.

I hope this helps and good luck :smile:

Sophie
Student Ambassador at the University of Law
Original post by UniofLaw Student
Hi @Florence_6791!

There are lots of different ways to achieve a legal career in the UK and all of them have different pros as well as cons. Of course, you aren't wrong that TCs are competitive and, unfortunately, not everyone is able to secure one. However, there is also no reason why you wouldn't be able to get one. I have just finished my GDL and I would say about 50% of the students doing it had TCs and 50% didn't. Even if you don't get a TC you can do a MA Law or MA Law (SQE) at the University of Law which is the GLD and then an additional element such as a dissertation which makes it a Master's level degree so you can get SFE funding for the course! If you are interested in the apprenticeship route, I would recommend reaching out to the University of Law study team as they are in contact with lots of firms that do the apprenticeship :smile: I wouldn't worry about balancing the work with the apprenticeship route as it is designed for students to be able to study, work and do the SQE process so I believe you will be more than capable if you remain organised and focus.

At the end of the day, you have to do what feels right for you. If you want to study law for a long period then the apprenticeship may be the way to go. If you have a passion for another topic then I would definitely recommend doing a different degree and then a GDL like I did as this allows you to experience more than one topic in higher education.

I hope this helps and good luck :smile:

Sophie
Student Ambassador at the University of Law

Thank you so much!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending