The Student Room Group

Glasgow access programme/ gateway to medicine 2024 entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by laila2006
would you say its yo late to apply the week we're back..so around the 8th?

i've just been so worried that i'm applying too late as i've been told people are already receiving offers even though i thought no one gets offers until the deadline has passed.

I mean I haven’t gotten any interview offer yet for GAP so I think you should still be able to apply to it
Reply 21
Original post by laila2006
would you say its yo late to apply the week we're back..so around the 8th?

i've just been so worried that i'm applying too late as i've been told people are already receiving offers even though i thought no one gets offers until the deadline has passed.

Its still early! I emailed the unis and got told interview invites don't get handed out until late February /early march which is after the deadline, then offers are handed out in April/ May. I don't think anyone that's applied so far has heard anything back.
Unis have started handing out offers for other courses, but not for gateway lol
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 22
Original post by MandalaQueen
So I’m applying to GAP, gateway to medicine in Dundee and Aberdeen, optometry and psychology

Have u heard anything back from the other 2?
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 23
Original post by TDCTV
Its still early! I emailed the unis and got told interview invites don't get handed out until late February /early march which is after the deadline, then offers are handed out in April/ May. I don't think anyone that's applied so far has heard anything back.
Unis have started handing out offers for other courses, but not for gateway lol

Ohh okay, yeah that makes more sense
Reply 24
Original post by TDCTV
Have u heard anything back from the other 2?

No not yet
Reply 25
It's also a guaranteed interview for aberdeen, if ur eligible for the course
(edited 4 months ago)
Hey guys!

I’m a student currently doing the GAP and I remember applying last year, and there wasn’t a lot of information about the course (which I could find at least), except for another previous student on another forum. I thought I would do something similar as I found it to quite helpful!

If you have any questions, don’t be afraid to pop them here and I’ll try and answer them the best I can :smile:
Reply 27
Original post by ExistingMeter
Hey guys!

I’m a student currently doing the GAP and I remember applying last year, and there wasn’t a lot of information about the course (which I could find at least), except for another previous student on another forum. I thought I would do something similar as I found it to quite helpful!

If you have any questions, don’t be afraid to pop them here and I’ll try and answer them the best I can :smile:

hi,
Is the course just Advanced higher content?
Original post by TDCTV
hi,
Is the course just Advanced higher content?

GAP is split into 3 modules - Biology, Science Fundamentals and Fundamental Skills in Medicine.

Advanced Higher Biology has a lot of overlap with the Biology content, and it goes into greater detail, but even being familiar with the AH Biology course can really help with it.

Science Fundamentals is basically just chemistry, maths, physics and some statistics. It only goes to about Higher Level and never goes past this.

Fundamentals in Medicine isn’t really like any subjects at school, so I can’t say if this is advanced higher equivalent or not.
Reply 29
Is the interview the exact same as the real medicine interview and when did you here back from uni if you had an interview?
Reply 30
Also r unconditionals a thing for this course or is it just conditional like medicine and if so what were the conditions
Reply 31
Original post by ExistingMeter
Hey guys!

when did u start getting offers?
also is it quite competitive?
(edited 3 months ago)
The GAP interview is intended to be similar to a medicine interview but I’m not sure how similar they actually are.

I had received my interview date in early March and the interview date was very late March but can’t remember exact dates, you’ll always have some time before the interview to prepare. From what my friends have said, I’m guessing the interview invites are given out in blocks so if someone here gets an interview before you don’t worry about it!
Original post by Mimi10791
Also r unconditionals a thing for this course or is it just conditional like medicine and if so what were the conditions

GAP is conditional - For me I just needed a C in my Advance Highers and a pass in my Highers and I think this is the case for most people.
Original post by TDCTV
when did u start getting offers?
also is it quite competitive?

I think most people received their offers in May and I’m not entirely sure just how competitive it is to get into GAP, but apparently it is quite competitive.
Reply 35
What if you have already met the entry requirements and r doing 3 advanced highers this year. Is it still condiotal C I’m guessing do you know anyone in that situation
Reply 36
Did you apply for any other gateway courses and when was there interviews etc
Did you apply for any other gateway courses and when was there interviews etc

I had applied to the Dundee premed, but they moved my application to a MBChB (medicine) application - I had my interview for that in early December and got my offer for that in March but I’m not sure about other gateway courses.
What if you have already met the entry requirements and r doing 3 advanced highers this year. Is it still condiotal C I’m guessing do you know anyone in that situation

So for me, I was doing 2 advanced highers and 2 highers and I still had a conditional. I think they say on the GAP requirements page that any advanced highers taken will be required to be passed with a C, and all other highers passed.
Reply 39
Okay cool thanks so helpful. Just wondering why did you do GAP if you got an offer for medicine without the extra year was it just because u really wanted to go to Glasgow ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending