The Student Room Group

Warwick vs exeter for bsc accounting and finance

Hello everyone, I got offers from both Warwick and exeter. I'm a uk citizen but I currently stay outside the uk and I've been categorised as a uk student for fee purposes by the university of exeter, however I havent yet for Warwick and the deadline to accept my offers are coming up soon.
the fee for my course which is accounting and finance is 9250 pounds in exeter and above 27k pounds at Warwick. I've heard how prestigious wbs is and so I really want to know which uni I should choose. would Warwick business school be worth 27k or would going to exeter for 9k be better? I plan on doing a masters degree at a prestigious university and I heard that employers don't really care where u have done ur bachelor's from if u ve been to a prestigious masters uni...is this true ?and if it is should I stick with exeter in this case?
thanks in advance

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Depends which country/ ies you might be looking to work in, and whether you are targeting a job in ib.
Original post by ajj2000
Depends which country/ ies you might be looking to work in, and whether you are targeting a job in ib.

ib? I'm looking for work in the uk only I'm shifting there permanently
Reply 3
Original post by _venom_
ib? I'm looking for work in the uk only I'm shifting there permanently

Investment banking - Warwick appears to be a preferred university for their recruitment.
Original post by ajj2000
Investment banking - Warwick appears to be a preferred university for their recruitment.

not too concentrated on any particular industry right now but I'm definitely considering investment banking...however as of now I'm doing my acca and concentrating more on accounting jobs such as tax and audit...maybe after I complete my master's and cfa I can think about investment banking
Reply 5
Original post by _venom_
not too concentrated on any particular industry right now but I'm definitely considering investment banking...however as of now I'm doing my acca and concentrating more on accounting jobs such as tax and audit...maybe after I complete my master's and cfa I can think about investment banking

have you started ACCA? Its worth checking how many exemptions each course gives. Warwick didn't give a lot last time I looked. I think you can get the max (9) from Exeter.
Original post by ajj2000
have you started ACCA? Its worth checking how many exemptions each course gives. Warwick didn't give a lot last time I looked. I think you can get the max (9) from Exeter.

it's based on the modules actually you can get upto 9 excemptions out of 13 but the last 4 papers are madatory to write whatsoever, regardless I don't want any excemptions as I want to write all my examinations and that wouldn't factor in my uni choices...I have already started my acca course and I have completed 2 papers
Reply 7
Original post by _venom_
it's based on the modules actually you can get upto 9 excemptions out of 13 but the last 4 papers are madatory to write whatsoever, regardless I don't want any excemptions as I want to write all my examinations and that wouldn't factor in my uni choices...I have already started my acca course and I have completed 2 papers

Yes - you have to sit the last 4 for real. Why take A+F if you are going to sit the exams anyway? Just checked - max of 6 exemptions for Warwick of which 5 are easier papers anyway. Not unusual for more traditional courses but it can be a factor for some people.

For mainstream accounting jobs it wont make any difference whether you go to Warwick or Exeter. If the money is the same go to the one you prefer. If its going to cost you an additional £18k a year x 3 plus not being able to get student loans you'll be down by more than the average accounting graduate takes home for their first 2 or 3 years! I cant see any reason to spend that additional amount.
Original post by ajj2000
Yes - you have to sit the last 4 for real. Why take A F if you are going to sit the exams anyway? Just checked - max of 6 exemptions for Warwick of which 5 are easier papers anyway. Not unusual for more traditional courses but it can be a factor for some people.

For mainstream accounting jobs it wont make any difference whether you go to Warwick or Exeter. If the money is the same go to the one you prefer. If its going to cost you an additional £18k a year x 3 plus not being able to get student loans you'll be down by more than the average accounting graduate takes home for their first 2 or 3 years! I cant see any reason to spend that additional amount.

Yes but I hear the internship opportunities the wbs brand image the one to one tutors are so prestigious...I am taking A F as I said I am planning for a masters and without a bachelor's that won't be possible....not all ppl do A F cos of its excemptions I saw many PPL saying that their employers had asked them to do over the whole course again as opposed to taking up the excemptions. obviously Warwick is at such a high place in business schools in the world and I dont want to settle for an accounting job I really want to try out various industries and I'm really interested in investment banking as well I just want to intern a lot in my first amd second years related to accounting
(edited 2 years ago)
Contact Warwick and explain that you really need to know your fee status now. You will probably get home fee status as the government has set out the criteria and it's fairly basic. . i.e U.K passport, living in the U.K or E.U or EEA for the last three years before 31 December 2020 and until the start of your course. It's a bit more complicated than that in reality, but if you fulfill those conditions ,most British Nationals living in Europe have been getting home fees. After that just choose the uni you like the most. Warwick does have an excellent reputation, but Exeter isn't badly rated, and to be honest companies are choosing a person and not a Uni. People say that Warwick is a target Uni, and yes many successful candidates come from there, because the type of individuals that the companies are looking for choose Warwick, but I did Economics at Loughborough and it didn't stop me getting offers for Audit from all of the big 4. Quite a few came from Exeter as well. I had NO exemptions and got first time passes in everything compared to some of my accounting graduate friends that failed. So basically choose the Uni you like the most fee status allowing. They're both good schools.
Original post by Nobody2u
Contact Warwick and explain that you really need to know your fee status now. You will probably get home fee status as the government has set out the criteria and it's fairly basic. . i.e U.K passport, living in the U.K or E.U or EEA for the last three years before 31 December 2020 and until the start of your course. It's a bit more complicated than that in reality, but if you fulfill those conditions ,most British Nationals living in Europe have been getting home fees. After that just choose the uni you like the most. Warwick does have an excellent reputation, but Exeter isn't badly rated, and to be honest companies are choosing a person and not a Uni. People say that Warwick is a target Uni, and yes many successful candidates come from there, because the type of individuals that the companies are looking for choose Warwick, but I did Economics at Loughborough and it didn't stop me getting offers for Audit from all of the big 4. Quite a few came from Exeter as well. I had NO exemptions and got first time passes in everything compared to some of my accounting graduate friends that failed. So basically choose the Uni you like the most fee status allowing. They're both good schools.

thank you so much for this info!! I'll definitely keep this in mind👍👍but if I have to choose between a 27000k course at Warwick and a 9250 course at exeter what would you suggest?

thank you so mcih for this info!!I'll definitely keep this in mind...but if I have to choose between a 27000k course at Warwick and a 9250 course at exeter what would u suggest?
It would be wrong for me to choose for you, as I don't know your personal circumstances, but all I can say is that going to Exeter won't stop you getting a job. They look for well rounded candidates, and your International background could be a great plus if you have languages. If you've got U.K fee status you should also be eligible for student finance by the government ( loan repayable starting April after graduation at 9% of salary above 27K/year and wiped after 30 years) for your course fees as well as a maintenance loan to cover accomodation.
It would be wrong for me to choose for you, as I don't know your personal circumstances, but all I can say is that going to Exeter won't stop you getting a job. They look for well rounded candidates, and your International background could be a great plus if you have languages. If you've got U.K fee status you should also be eligible for student finance by the government ( loan repayable starting April after graduation at 9% of salary above 27K/year and wiped after 30 years) for your course fees as well as a maintenance loan to cover accomodation.

I see I understand that...I'm not asking you to choose for me I'm just asking you to think that you're in the same place as me and maybe make a decision...I know it's pretty silly but as you can see Warwick is ranked really high in the world rankings as compared to exeter and if I did get a chance to go to such a prestigious uni such as Warwick do u think it would be justifiable enought that I chose exeter instead?sorry for asking the same questions repeatedly but I'm in a huge dilemma

I have contacted Warwick multiple times to consider my fee application before the 10th of june as that is the day I need to confirm my choices however they continue to delay and I don't know if they will reply by tomorrow...I dont know whether I should firm exeter or warwick and I have only one day left
It takes literally 30 seconds to firm your choices, so if I were you I'd wait. It'll give you time to think about which Uni outside of fee status considerations is the best fit for you.
It takes literally 30 seconds to firm your choices, so if I were you I'd wait. It'll give you time to think about which Uni outside of fee status considerations is the best fit for you.

haha okay thanks for the advice👍
If you go just on world rankings, yes Warwick is better. If you're looking at an International career straight out of Uni it could be an advantage, but if you're going to be applying in the U.K Exeter has nothing to be ashamed of. It really does depend on your financial situation. If you have the money and it isn't a huge sacrifice to pay the fees, then do it. Only you know how much of a burden the fees are going to be. But as I said, employers are looking for well rounded graduates. Accounting is a people contact profession from day one, so although Warwick is a top Uni, if that's all you have on your C.V an Exeter graduate could easily pinch your place.
If you go just on world rankings, yes Warwick is better. If you're looking at an International career straight out of Uni it could be an advantage, but if you're going to be applying in the U.K Exeter has nothing to be ashamed of. It really does depend on your financial situation. If you have the money and it isn't a huge sacrifice to pay the fees, then do it. Only you know how much of a burden the fees are going to be. But as I said, employers are looking for well rounded graduates. Accounting is a people contact profession from day one, so although Warwick is a top Uni, if that's all you have on your C.V an Exeter graduate could easily pinch your place.

Yes I understand thank you so very much for this 👍👍👍
Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending