The Student Room Group

if i fail Spanish GCSE can it be replaced with another 'non main' language?

Hi! this may be a bit of a common sense question..

In school, everyone is taught the main languages, in which my case is spanish.
I do not plan to fail spanish, yet get a good pass mark (5), because all my other subjects are revision demanding.

Onto the point, I also do GCSE Polish as an additional language, in which without revision I scored grades 7-8 on the reading, writing and listening alone.

If I 'magically' fail spanish, does my Polish count as a way to replace Spanish (which is not a main language taught in schools)?

Many thanks :smile:
I mean I’m confused in that I don’t see why you “need” to pass the main language.

What happens if you don’t past Spanish?
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Talkative Toad
I mean I’m confused in that I don’t see why you “need” to pass the main language.

What happens if you don’t past Spanish?

I guess it would be one less gcse.. but I was just wondering if there was a big difference between a language you HAVE to learn or an extra language that not everyone is taught >_<
But I'm sure I'm just over thinking it too !!
Original post by jelly-fishes
I guess it would be one less gcse.. but I was just wondering if there was a big difference between a language you HAVE to learn or an extra language that not everyone is taught >_<
But I'm sure I'm just over thinking it too !!

I don’t see why there would be any difference in the case of Polish vs Spanish, a GCSE is a GCSE and they are both GCSE MFL.

I don’t know what the Polish spec is like though but there was people in my year group who were put for GCSE Polish 🤷🏾*♀️ (if they were Polish). I assume that you’re Polish/speak the language well and that you or your school decided that you’d do GCSE Polish as an extra GCSE (apologies if I’m assuming things incorrectly) on top of other GCSE subjects.

I wouldn’t purposefully fail GCSE Spanish but unless you need GCSE Spanish for the future, I fail to see what the difference is between passing vs failing other than 1 less GCSE as you say.
(edited 3 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending