The Student Room Group

Autumn 2023 Anime Preview

Scroll to see replies

New page. :blow:

Kamonohashi Ron no Kindan Suiri (Ron Kamonohashi's Forbidden Deductions)

A serial murderer has somehow drowned five victims in an area with no open water, and the Metropolitan Police Department have no leads after 9 months. Young but naïve and struggling detective Ishiki Totomaru is sent home, as his superior feels he will just get in the way. However, an older colleague suggests that he pay a visit to Kamonohashi Ron - a Sherlock Holmes level super detective! But Totomaru arrives at Ron's home to find the man living as a hermit in a plain padded room, cut off from all outside information. Apparently Ron can't help but solve a case once he hears about it, but despite his skills and love for the job, he has one major flaw that makes him deeply unsuited to police work...

I needed a good detective series to replace last season's Undead Girl Murder Farce, and this seems perfect. Decent production values all-round. I love the interactions between these two main characters already, and can't wait to see what Ron will put poor Toto through next! Hopefully the cases will remain interesting.

Official Crunchyroll link: https://www.crunchyroll.com/series/GNVHKN903/ron-kamonohashis-forbidden-deductions
(edited 6 months ago)
I was a bit late getting to this one, but even though there are now two episodes out, my thoughts here are based only on the first ep.

Shy

In the future, war and conflict on Earth has ended, thanks to the presence of superheroes in every country. These heroes now spend their time rescuing people from natural disasters or accidents. Japan's national hero is Shy, whose true identity is a 14 year old schoolgirl named Momijiyama Teru. As her hero name would suggest, she suffers from extreme shyness, in contrast to the usual confident demeanour expected from heroes. After a rollercoaster malfunctions, Shy safely rescues all but one of the riders, who is severely injured. This incident, and the backlash from the media and online, leaves her unable to transform... but when faced with a burning hotel, and inspired by a child whose life she previously saved, she jumps back into action.

This wasn't bad, a decent superhero series to bridge some of the gap until the next series of Boku no Hero Academia! Nice balance of drama and comedy. Aside from Shy, the only hero we've met is the Russian one, who is perpetually drunk... I hope the rest don't turn out to be nothing but stereotypes! Animation was passable, the action scenes featured a lot of static pans.

Official Crunchyroll link: https://www.crunchyroll.com/series/GKEH2G0W9/shy
(edited 6 months ago)
Megumi no Daigo: Kyuukoku no Orange (Firefighter Daigo: Rescuer in Orange)

Onoda Shun is a young firefighter, who dreams of joining the special rescue corps. But despite getting the necessary recommendations and passing the qualification test first time, he now dreads the intense training, and his instructor's hazing techniques. Among the fifty other fire officers who made the cut is a man named Toake Daigo, whose strength, stamina and determination seem to be on another level. But, he seems to have a weakness. Will the two pass their training successfully? Probably, since the episode opened with them working together to rescue a bunch of people from a major disaster! But we can still enjoy their journey towards that point. :tongue:

Most of the other series I've picked up this season are comedies or fantasy, so it's refreshing to have something a lot more serious and realistic, with adult main characters (even if they are almost half my age :s-smilie:). It didn't feel like I was missing anything major from not having read the original Megumi no Daigo manga, which was my main concern.

Official Crunchyroll link: https://www.crunchyroll.com/series/G0XHWM1MK/firefighter-daigo-rescuer-in-orange
(edited 6 months ago)
Under Ninja

Ninja still exist in modern day Japan, secretly blending into society. However, there are far fewer jobs available for them than there used to be. Many choose to leave the profession, despite knowing that they'll be hunted down if they do. Kumogakure Kurou is an unemployed young shinobi, who spends his days lazing around in his apartment, blowing darts at the ceiling and stealing his neighbour's beer. One day, he receives a mission to infiltrate a high school, along with three other ninja who are all better trained than him. What the job involves, and why he was recommended for it, we'll have to wait and find out...

This was hilarious! Kurou may be my favourite main character of the season so far. Very surreal and deadpan humour, though there were a fair few references to Japanese pop culture that might be lost on newer anime fans. Character designs are very varied, some of them are wild. Animation was good on the whole; I'm not sure what the clunky CGI at the start was all about, but I've seen much worse. A hidden gem in an already shining season.

Official Crunchyroll link: https://www.crunchyroll.com/series/GQWH0M1WK/under-ninja
Dead Mount Death Play Part 2

The first part ended on a huge clash between powerful characters, which did not escape the attention of Shinjuku's general population! Among those descending on Polka's apartment is a new character named Kochou, a tabloid reporter who wants to know more about the famous fortune teller. Big plot-focused episode with no recap, quite a lot of info to take in and not the most exciting, but hopefully the set up will be worth it. :smile:

Official Crunchyroll link: https://www.crunchyroll.com/series/G3KHEV04J/dead-mount-death-play
Dr. Stone: New World Part 2

New world, old problems, as Senkuu and Co suddenly find themselves up against the petrification ray weapon that zapped most of the world's population millennia ago. Though they now have unlimited revival fluid, their enemies waste no time throwing their frozen friends into the deep ocean... so it's time to reinvent scuba gear! So much fun, so much energy, and I am so happy to have this back on my watching list. The new ending theme was beautiful.

Official Crunchyroll link: https://www.crunchyroll.com/series/GYEXQKJG6/dr-stone
(edited 6 months ago)
Apparently this season still doesn't have enough anime - added Good Night World!

(edited 6 months ago)
Turns out that Undead Unluck is a Hulu exclusive in the USA, and isn't (currently) airing on any legal streaming sites that serve the UK. :erm: That opens a potential space in my list for:

Bullbuster

Okino Tetsurou is an engineer and mech pilot with Kanie Technologies, whose new combat robot Bullbuster has been leased by the 'pest control' company Namidome Industries. Almost immediately after arriving at his new workplace, an alarm rings, signalling the appearance of said pests! Since Namidome's only other robot is out of action, Tetsurou immediately heads into action... or tries to anyway, until Namidome's accountant points out that he hasn't yet signed his employment contract. :tongue: Comedic workplace bureaucracy ensues, after which Tetsurou is finally able to sortie - and only then does he learn that the 'pests' he's been tasked to fight are clawed monsters the size of houses.

A real robot series, with a mech design that seems believable. Being bipedal, it isn't the most stable when being charged at, but it makes up for that with increased speed and mobility over the older, tracked Bullrover. Tetsurou and his new colleagues should provide plenty of laughs. The main downside for me was the ghastly CGI used on the monster they were fighting, very generic looking and unexciting. But, I enjoyed the rest enough to give it a chance.

Official Crunchyroll link: https://www.crunchyroll.com/series/G24H1NW9J/bullbuster
Hametsu no Oukoku (The Kingdoms of Ruin) [content warning: explicit violence, mature themes, sexual abuse]

When God created the Earth and the humans who inhabit it, he also created witches to watch over and protect them using their incredible magic powers. But now, human technology has eclipsed even that magic, and the Emperor of Redia has ordered the extermination of all witches. Adonis is a young human child, but also an apprentice to the ice witch Chloe. While fleeing the witch hunts, the two are ambushed and instantly teleported directly into the centre of the empire's capital, where a jeering crowd awaits. Finding her powers completely nullified, Chloe has no choice but to surrender, begging them to show mercy for her apprentice. 10 years later, Adonis' quest for revenge against the empire begins...

Okay, this was way too dark and edgy for me, and I've picked up Goblin Slayer! Heed the content warnings, this episode was not pleasant, and seemed to revel in that fact. Aside from that, the constant touting of smartphones as the epitome of human achievement wound me up, but that's likely just me. :laugh: Animation was below average, though the character designs were nice. First series of the season that I'm definitely dropping!

Official Crunchyroll link: https://www.crunchyroll.com/series/GG5H5XQ14/the-kingdoms-of-ruin
This one is available to stream in its entirety on Netflix, but as usual, this post is based only on first episode impressions.

Good Night World

Main character Arima Taichiro hates real life. There, he is a shut-in NEET, who has bad relationships with his awkward father, overachieving younger brother and absent mother. However, in the virtual reality game world of Planet, he can escape this miserable existence. There, he is part of the powerful group of players known as the Akabane Family. He, along with the friendly May, humorous AAAAA (he couldn't come up with a better username) and the dependable patriarch Shirou get along fantastically, living and adventuring together as if a close-knit family... but unbeknownst to any of them, due to their personal rule about not discussing IRL issues, they're all members of the same dysfunctional Arima family offline.

Great premise for a series! The first episode introduced the characters' online personas and offline family tensions, while also touching on some in-game events that will soon bring other groups into conflict with the Akabane family. But, something about the pacing or the writing felt off to me, didn't leave me caring much about the characters or the game world factions. I might just marathon this some time instead of watching it weekly. A maybe.

Official Netflix link: https://www.netflix.com/title/81340213
(edited 6 months ago)
Hoshikuzu Telepath (Stardust Telepath)

Konohoshi Umika suffers from extreme shyness. Though she wants to make friends, she cannot express her feelings in words. She is also super into space and aliens, a hobby which led to her being teased in the past. Her goal is to one day travel to other planets, in search of life forms with whom she can communicate easier than her fellow humans. Enter Akeuchi Yuu - an energetic girl who claims to BE an alien! By placing her forehead against Umika's, Yuu seems to be able to read the thoughts that Umika can't say out loud. And since Yuu needs a lift back to her home planet, she's more than happy to team up with Umika and work towards building a rocket ship.

This was adorable. Lots of great reaction faces and chibi moments, bright colours and full face blushes. Lovely animation and music I adore the two main characters already. Very wholesome, and with strong yuri vibes. Looking forward to seeing whether Yuu has any more alien quirks up her sleeve, too!

Official Crunchyroll link: https://www.crunchyroll.com/series/GKEH2G0P9/stardust-telepath
I've only got one space left on my anime list, but the promising looking Kusuriya no Hitorigoto doesn't air for a few days. So, to keep the daily first episode impressions going until then, I'll be checking out a few series that didn't make my shortlist. Will their first episodes change my mind? Starting with one of the season's bigger hits:

Sousou no Frieren (Frieren: Beyond Journey's End)

In a fantasy world, the Demon King is defeated by a party of adventurers: Frieren the elf mage, Eisen the dwarf warrior, Heiter the human cleric, and Himmel the human fighter. After returning to the capital, where they are celebrated as heroes, the party watch a meteor shower together. Frieren casually comments that the city lights spoiled the view, and that she will take them to a better spot to see the shower the next time it arrives, in 50 years... but while that amount of time is a small drop in the ocean for an elf, it is far longer for her companions. Though they do all meet up again in 50 years, Himmel knows then that his time is short - and Frieren begins to have regrets about not getting to know him better during their travels.

Kudos to Madhouse for the animation quality, which is unquestionably the best I've seen for any series this season. The background music is also gorgeous. And it has a moving, emotional storyline, focusing on death, time, and what we do with our lives, long or short. I'd absolutely pick this up, except I'm already reading the manga, and as brilliant as this adaptation is, I'd rather watch something that's all new to me.

Official Crunchyroll link: https://www.crunchyroll.com/series/GG5H5XQX4/frieren-beyond-journeys-end
Virtually everything I've watched so far has been on Crunchyroll, so let's see what HIDIVE have to offer this season:

Hikikomari Kyuuketsuki no Monmon (The Vexations of a Shut-In Vampire Princess)

Terakomari Gandesblood is a vampire noble, but also an unemployed shut-in. When asked by her father what her future work plans are, she casually says she'd be willing to work if it meant she'd inherit the throne... and so her father speaks with the empress, and before long, Terakomari has been appointed one of the country's top generals! She must now command an army in mock battles against five other nations. Win, and she will become a candidate for empress herself. Lose, and she will die. With no relevant skills or experience, Terakomari must now convince her troops that she is a capable leader, in case they revolt and take her position for themselves!

This has a potentially interesting premise, but the first episode didn't impress me at all. The dialogue was long and boring (a common complaint I have about LN adaptations), the maid character was a bit creepy, and the whole thing about convincing people she's super powerful reminded me too much of last season's Liar Liar, which I hated. An easy drop.

Official HIDIVE link: https://www.hidive.com/tv/the-vexations-of-a-shut-in-vampire-princess
The final 'wildcard' episode, before Kusuriya no Hitorigoto airs tomorrow:

Shangri-La Frontier

In the near future, where VR games are fully immersive and have become gaming industry standard, Hizutome Rakuro seeks out the worst rated, most bug-ridden titles possible, embracing their flaws and completing them for his own enjoyment. After finishing a game so awful that he doesn't know what to follow it up with, a local game store clerk suggests he try a genuinely good game instead to refresh his palate, recommending the new and critically acclaimed Shangri-La Frontier. And so, after selling his starting armour for gold (but keeping a cheap bird mask to hide his modesty), Rakuro's latest gaming adventure begins!

I enjoyed the RL setup; the shy love interest and Rakuro's interactions with the shopkeeper make me hope they'll show more of this stuff alongside the in-game scenes. As for the game scenes themselves, I'm not usually a fan (I'd rather play than watch fictional characters gather loot and level up), but with Sunraku's pro analysis and commentary, they weren't bad. Still, it doesn't quite beat anything else I've picked up. Likely the best show I'll be skipping.

Official Crunchyroll link: https://www.crunchyroll.com/series/G79H23Z8P/shangri-la-frontier
(edited 6 months ago)
The last series on my want to watch list has finally aired! As usual, thoughts based on one episode, despite the fact the first three eps dropped at once.

Kusuriya no Hitorigoto (The Apothecary Diaries)

Maomao is a young apothecary, living in ancient China. However, her life suddenly changes when she is kidnapped and taken to the Emperor's rear palace! Put to work as a servant, Maomao's plan is to avoid attention and steadily pay for her own freedom, so she feigns illiteracy. When the Emperor's two children both fall ill, rumours of a curse begin to spread among the servants - but Maomao immediately figures out that their sickness has a more scientific explanation. She secretly leaves messages to both concubine mothers, and though only one of them follows her advice, her child lives while the other dies. Unfortunately for Maomao, this act of kindness is soon traced back to her, and her job role changes yet again...

Medical mysteries, ancient Chinese setting, superb animation and music - this was worth the wait. :biggrin: Maomao already stands out amongst the season's protagonists, skilled but averse to standing out, and not even remotely shaken by her kidnapping! The rear palace power struggles could provide plenty of drama and threat as well. Definitely gets the final spot on my list~

Official Crunchyroll link: https://www.crunchyroll.com/series/G3KHEVDJ7/the-apothecary-diaries
(edited 6 months ago)
And with that, I have a full lineup of 16 series! I definitely have no time for more, so the daily first impressions posts will end here... unless there are any (non-sequel) series that people really want me to cover? If so, let me know, and I'll at least give the first episode a look. :smile:
@AngryJellyfish any halloween or horror anime which are released in this autumn? It is just a good time for creepy and spooky stories.
Original post by Kallisto
@AngryJellyfish any halloween or horror anime which are released in this autumn? It is just a good time for creepy and spooky stories.

Dark Gathering is the one that springs to mind; it technically started in the summer season, but it's still ongoing now. Seems to be getting creepier with every new episode!

Quick Reply

Latest