The Student Room Group

What Can I Do Now?

I failed my A-Levels with BBB and failed all my offers , is there any possible way of me resitting or taking a gap year and fixing this?
Original post by ItsCiaran
I failed my A-Levels with BBB and failed all my offers , is there any possible way of me resitting or taking a gap year and fixing this?

Firstly, you have not failed your A Levels. BBB is a respectable set of grades!

Taking a gap year/resitting are options for you, but you could also consider looking at course in Clearing. What are you hoping to study?

BBB grades aren't failing grades (although they're clearly below your offers). You have several options.
1. See if you can find a course through Clearing which will accept BBB and which you'd be happy to go to.
2. Take a gap year and re-take your A levels, hoping for better grades next time.
3. Look at other non-uni options.
Reply 3
Original post by CatusStarbright
Firstly, you have not failed your A Levels. BBB is a respectable set of grades!

Taking a gap year/resitting are options for you, but you could also consider looking at course in Clearing. What are you hoping to study?

Mathematics , how do i go about the resitting and gap year
Mathematics , how do i go about the resitting and gap year

I would suggest that you talk to your school/college about potentially retaking your exams, if that is what you want to do.
Reply 5
you could look at clearing, most non-russel group unis will let you in if you dont do too far below expected (i got BCC results, and i have a ABB offer from UEA and still got in.) foundation years are also helpful, however it is an extra year, and more money to spend. (if you dont have the grades, most unis offer foundation courses which are when one of the schools, aka school of medicine, do a foundation year for either - international students, students who dont meet the entry requirements or those who didnt do the right a levels, after you complete the year, they will let you choose one of the courses from that school, for example pharmacy or medecine.) retaking is always an option if you really really want better grades, but i would not suggest this at all (if you do just talk to your college/school. i think a gap year would be best to look at all your options, and figure out what you want. you will be too stressed out now to make clear choices, so a year to think might be best. Gap years are really simple to do, I am taking one just to get out of the education system a bit, but even if you dont want to resit, it is always helpful and relaxing to be able to live your life without worry of school and life and you future, you can either work, travel or just do nothing during your gap year! To reapply for uni after this, you can talk to ur school/college, but clearing is also an option for this, as there can be places for next year open. when i applied to uni i deffered a year so i have automatically been accepted for next year. some advice, my dad got DDU in his a levels, still went to a top school for law and is now an experienced and highly seeked out lawyer who gets job offerd from verious top law firm all over the country! There are also other options other than uni, i dont know much about them since i went to a grammar school very focused on uni prep, but apprentiships are also an option, and nowadays, a lot of jobs dont care about having degrees. at the end of the day, its about what you want to do with uni, even if you are set on going to one uni, you can do anything if you set your mind to it! (please ignore my spellunng i am dyslexic :smile:)
(edited 8 months ago)

Hey @ItsCiaran

First of all, I'm sorry to hear you didn't meet your offers, but please know BBB is still a great set of grades!

As others have said, taking a gap year and resitting is definitely an option if you are set on trying again. For this, I'd suggest you talk to your school/college for further advice. However, you still have options if you want to attend university this year; you could most likely find a place in clearing. Clearing is a system that allows you to apply for university courses that still have vacancies after the UCAS application deadline. You may still be able to find a place on a Mathematics course at a good university.

I understand this is a stressful time and wish you the best in whichever path you decide to take :smile:

Natalie
- University of Kent Student Rep
Aw, @ItsCiaran - I'm sorry to hear you're disappointed with BBB, but that's still great and we encourage everyone to #BeResultsProud!

The closest match to Maths, that still has places available for September, is our Economics and Finance course (if you were considering other universities in the south). We guarantee university managed, owned or approved accommodation through Clearing too. We're here on 01962 827234 if you want to chat through options.

Good luck for the future - whether that's on a gap year or at uni :smile:

Hi ItsCiaran

Dont feel ashamed about getting BBB that is a very good set of results.

Have you tried ringing up different unis to see if they can offer you any places on the course you want to do. You could also check other unis to see whether they have a foundation year which you could do instead of entering straight onto 1st year.

if all the above fails then you could consider applying for a Gap year or resitting the exams however i would consider trying clearing first to see if they have any offers for the course even if it is at a different university.

Best wishes
Emma
3rd year Accounting Student

Hey @ItsCiaran :smile:

I'm sorry to hear you failed your offers, but please know that BBB is incredible, and you should be so proud of yourself! Your grades don't define your future. Your hard work and dedication have brought you this far, trust in yourself and the journey ahead.

Like others have said you have options you need to explore, so you can choose to retake your exams, taking the gap year and revaluating your goals, gaining new experiences etc, or take a look at courses in Clearing. Clearing allows you to search for available courses at uni's that still have spaces, you'll be able to find their clearing helpline numbers on their website :smile:

If you do decide on a gap year you can look into work experience, volunteering, maybe consider a vocational course or apprenticeship.

Is there anyone at your school/college that you can get some more guidance and advice from, like a career counsellor, teacher, mentor etc?

Good luck with making your decision, I hope you make the right one for you!

Best of luck.

Becky

Quick Reply

Latest