The Student Room Group

Is Maths A-levels Important for a Law Degree?

Hi all! I’m current a Year 11 student choosing my A levels subjects. As I’d like to study law in a top university, I was wondering if I should take maths at A-levels as I’ve been told that top universities like Oxbridge expect you to take maths? FYI, I’m planning to take history, politics and philosophy and potentially classical civilisation. Please let me know if you have any advice on my subject choices!
Hi there @valeriechan

It is good to hear that you are already considering your future studies. :biggrin:
For law, there really aren't any specific A levels that you need to take. (I think for Maths, you just need to get good GCSE grades).

I took A level Maths during A levels, but I have not used it at all in studying Law. I think subjects that could help you out when studying law will be History & (maybe English)? Whilst they are not compulsory, you will learn how to write essays. This is really crucial in completing coursework and exams for Uni. Politics also sounds like a good option :smile:

My sixth-form did not offer philosophy or classical civilisation. Though I think that any essay writing subjects will come in handy.

Hope this helps. If you have any other questions, I'll be happy to answer them.
Chloe
-University of Kent Student Rep
Reply 2
Original post by University of Kent
Hi there @valeriechan

It is good to hear that you are already considering your future studies. :biggrin:
For law, there really aren't any specific A levels that you need to take. (I think for Maths, you just need to get good GCSE grades).

I took A level Maths during A levels, but I have not used it at all in studying Law. I think subjects that could help you out when studying law will be History & (maybe English)? Whilst they are not compulsory, you will learn how to write essays. This is really crucial in completing coursework and exams for Uni. Politics also sounds like a good option :smile:

My sixth-form did not offer philosophy or classical civilisation. Though I think that any essay writing subjects will come in handy.

Hope this helps. If you have any other questions, I'll be happy to answer them.
Chloe
-University of Kent Student Rep

Hi Chloe! Thank you for your answer. It's great to know that science subjects and Maths won't really be used - I probably won't take them then. May I know if from your experience, unis tend to look more favourably upon your application upon seeing that you have taken a well rounded mix of subjects?

Quick Reply

Latest