The Student Room Group

How important is English at A levels for Law?

How important is English at A levels for Law? Is it a necessity or would I be able to get away with just doing Economics Mathematics and Accounting?
Hello, I’m currently studying law. There are no specific A level subject requirements for law, but it is advised by many unis that you take at least one essay-based subject as it will help to prepare you for the degree (which obviously, contains a lot of essay writing, and loads of reading). That being said, it’s better for you to stick to 3 A levels than to study 4 so that you can take English. I would recommend either sticking with economics, maths and accounting, or swapping one of them for English.
Original post by gordoncheers
How important is English at A levels for Law? Is it a necessity or would I be able to get away with just doing Economics Mathematics and Accounting?

English (either language or literature) as above is not required to do law. It's not even "preferred".

The only thing I would note is that law is a formally academic degree and A-level Accounting is usually considered an applied/vocational A-level. I would suggest doing a traditionally academic subject (most A-level subjects are fine, be they languages, social sciences, humanities, sciences or otherwise) instead of that as a third subject (or just taking accounting as a fourth, which is still not really advisable).

That would probably be better preparation for the course and may be a better option for admissions purposes for a handful of courses which may find the suggested combination less competitive.
Reply 3
As above re. Accountancy - and if you are already leaning towards Law, then why are you taking it at all?
Econ, Maths and English would cover all bases and give you many other options if you change your mind about Law.
Original post by gordoncheers

Hi there

I am currently studying Law at Kent. For a law degree, any A level subjects are accepted, so Economics, Maths and accounting will get you into law. (I also took non-law related A levels and later decided to enter a law degree).

Whilst English A levels are important, they are not necessary. English can really help you gain essay writing skills which are important in a law degree. However, even if you do not take it, you will develop essay writing skills throughout the course. My degree is structure so the first year does not count towards the final grade, this meant I could get practice before the more important essays (which might be something for you to look out for when applying for a law degree, depending on what you prefer.)

I hope this helps.
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest