The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Official University of Edinburgh Applicant Thread for 2024

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I have applied for linguistics and social anthropology! I don’t know anyone else applying for anywhere like this so i was kind of hoping it was unpopular so we would end up with offers a bit earlier than standard lol

It’s my second choice after durham and i’ve heard that both are infamously slow with offers so would love to hear if anyone gets an offer for edinburgh at any point :smile:

Got an offer just over a week ago.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Original post by emkelt
i applied for compsci & got 5 A’s at higher and i’m doing maths physics and compsci this year.
someone in my school has an offer from edin for geography, i’m still waiting on mine.
i quite liked it at the open day, i went last year when i was in s5 just to see what it’d be like. the speaker was very slow but the subject interested me. i live here and it’s a beautiful city, not my top choice bc i want to move out but i would still consider choosing it.

good luck to anyone applying :smile:

I got an Edinburgh offer for CompSci just over a week ago.
Original post by Anonymous #6

Got an offer just over a week ago.

oh wow well done! are you an international student/have achieved grades? when did you apply? i haven’t heard of anyone getting one so early from there so that’s very impressive!!
Original post by funny-liquid
oh wow well done! are you an international student/have achieved grades? when did you apply? i haven’t heard of anyone getting one so early from there so that’s very impressive!!

I am a UK student. I applied on 27/09/2023 with predicted grades for A levels and thank you!
Reply 44

have u got any other offers?
Reply 45
Original post by erin11

I’m hoping to apply for French and Politics! I currently study politics history and french A level. I went to edinburgh open day last october.

I’m applying for French & Politics too!
Reply 46
Original post by emkelt
have u got any other offers?

I got an offer from Manchester as well (that was my first one which I got a week after sending my application through UCAS).
I am waiting on Durham, Imperial and Cambridge though my chances of Cambridge are very bleak after what happened to me in that admissions test.
I had all of my answers on the question paper for the first paper and ran out of time as I was transferring my answers across. So, if you look at my question paper (which unfortunately the admissions tutors don't), I have done 20 questions but on my answer sheet, I only managed to shade in 9.
For the second paper, I wasn't in the right mindset for it so who knows what I'm going to get on it? It's usually paper 1 that carries my score up (which is rather unusual as most applicants prefer paper 2) so we shall see. 🤞🤞
The Imperial test went OK (I think) but I don't actually find out the score. The litmus test as to whether my score was good enough or not is dependent on whether I get an interview from them.
Original post by tara_alh
Comment below if you've received an offer, or just applied xx

also, when do they normally give out their offers, I haven't got mine and I sent in my application 4 weeks ago xx

Nice going! I too sent my application in 4 weeks ago and got an offer from Edinburgh 10 days ago to study Computer Science. I am a England student with 4 A-levels predicted 4 A*s and also an A* in EPQ.

I think different departments take different amounts of time and my school somehow found out without me telling them and they were telling me it is extremely rare for them to send an offer out this early. In previous years, people at my school who applied for competitive courses here, like medicine for example, didn't receive offers till January.
Original post by Evil Homer
Hi there,

Welcome to the official University of Edinburgh Applicant Thread for 2024! Here, you have the opportunity to meet and chat with fellow applicants and ask any questions you want regarding applying to University of Edinburgh.

Below are some icebreaker questions to help you get started:

“What course are you applying for?”
“Will you be attending any Open Days?”
“How are you feeling about starting University?”

Get involved in more conversations by visiting our directory here and join in with the Yr 13 Chat thread here.

Good luck and happy posting!

Hi! I have applied for undergraduate entry for Biomedical Engineering MEng. I've got high predicted grades, but I'm nervous about exams, as they count much more than predicted
Reply 49
No, nothing out of the ordinary. I think I was actually probably one of the first people to get an offer from Edinburgh I got mine like a few weeks after submitting my application and people (who I assume weren't applying for deferred entry) were talking about waiting a lot longer. I put an explanation of why I was taking a year out in my personal statement and its not been mentioned by the uni since, apart from like admin things. (Just fyi the things I put in my explanation were like - "I'm thinking about taking a college course to explore my options before uni" and "I want to try save up some money before uni".)

Although I don't know if any of this was maybe affected by the fact that I fall under the uni's widening access criteria? I've not seen anything that suggests that could be the case but if you're worried about applying deferred it might be worth it to ask the uni.

Original post by HopelessMe
Hi, I heard Edinburgh don't like deferred entry... did you have to submit a convincing 'excuse' or did they just accept you wanted a gap year?
Reply 50
Anyone go to the open day at the weekend? Me and my dad were headed down but we had to turn back because of the weather.
How do I book for the Open Day?
Original post by KimGrrr
Anyone go to the open day at the weekend? Me and my dad were headed down but we had to turn back because of the weather.

i did! would be happy to answer any qs x
How do I book for the Open Day?

the last open day for the year was saturday, and the ones for next year haven’t been announced yet :smile: once they are you book them through the website (they’ll be in june and autumn, and the dates will be revealed in january :smile:)
Reply 54

Hi, what grades do you have?
Original post by Coopkia
Hi, what grades do you have?

I am an A level student from England. I am predicted A*A*A*A* in Maths, Further Maths, Computer Science and Chemistry with an A* in EPQ.
Original post by Evil Homer
Hi there,

Welcome to the official University of Edinburgh Applicant Thread for 2024! Here, you have the opportunity to meet and chat with fellow applicants and ask any questions you want regarding applying to University of Edinburgh.

Below are some icebreaker questions to help you get started:

“What course are you applying for?”
“Will you be attending any Open Days?”
“How are you feeling about starting University?”

Get involved in more conversations by visiting our directory here and join in with the Yr 13 Chat thread here.

Good luck and happy posting!

Hi, Im applying for biochem. In S5 i got AAAAAin higher (bio, chem, physics, math, chinese) and A in one advanced higher(statistic) and now im doing 4 advanced highers which are chem bio phy and math, predicted 4As
Reply 57
I am an A level student from England. I am predicted A*A*A*A* in Maths, Further Maths, Computer Science and Chemistry with an A* in EPQ.

Well done on your offer! Fantastic
Original post by Coopkia
Well done on your offer! Fantastic

Thank you!
Original post by evieekh
I’m applying for French & Politics too!

me too are you a Scottish applicant?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending