The Student Room Group

TMUA for Cambridge Maths

I have heard that taking the TMUA (and doing well) will help you to stand out from the crowd when applying to Cambridge for maths, is it a worthwhile thing to do?

For context: I am predicted A*s in maths and further maths and my strengths lie in pure maths and a little bit of stats but the TMUA isn't something I had considered doing before now so I dont have a lot of knowledge on it. Also would I have enough time to prepare if starting now? and are the questions just slightly out of the bounds of A-level or quite far out of the bounds or is it similar to UKMT challenges?
Reply 1
Original post by flippantwalrus
I have heard that taking the TMUA (and doing well) will help you to stand out from the crowd when applying to Cambridge for maths, is it a worthwhile thing to do?

For context: I am predicted A*s in maths and further maths and my strengths lie in pure maths and a little bit of stats but the TMUA isn't something I had considered doing before now so I dont have a lot of knowledge on it. Also would I have enough time to prepare if starting now? and are the questions just slightly out of the bounds of A-level or quite far out of the bounds or is it similar to UKMT challenges?

It will help you stand out if you do well. Why don’t you look at some past papers and see if it suits you/ plays to your strengths.

TUMA is not required for Cambridge maths.
Reply 3
Original post by FairAboutUK
TUMA is not required for Cambridge maths.

You are absolutely right, the TMUA is not required, but many applicants choose to sit it to increase the competitiveness of their application
Reply 4
My son is in Cambridge reading Maths now. He didn't take TMUA test, just had them as practice paper last summer. He did MAT to secure other offers then STEP
Reply 5

It’s a hard test and you won’t have much time for it. I’m personally not gonna do it just because I don’t need to do it and I bet the majority of people don’t
Original post by CAG575
You are absolutely right, the TMUA is not required, but many applicants choose to sit it to increase the competitiveness of their application

I don't think so. What you register ti the test, you need to fill the target courses which accepts TMUA. Maths is not an option.
Reply 7
Original post by FairAboutUK
I don't think so. What you register ti the test, you need to fill the target courses which accepts TMUA. Maths is not an option.

Maybe it has changed this year. The last 2 years I know of people applying to maths at Cambridge who chose to sit the TMUA to try to boost their application for maths. I also know people who applied to Cambridge for maths who chose not to sit the TMUA.
Reply 8

Just so if others decide to look at this, this is completely useless and won't help you what so ever. Almost no one even takes TMUA to help their application (because it does nothing, the only thing that matters is your interview)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending