The Student Room Group

Unfairly deregsitered from university

This is a bit of a long one, so please bear with me
- I was a student at Queen Mary University Of London, reading Physics at an undergraduate level.
- Last year, a month before my assignments were due, I had a break-in in which my laptop, phone and cards were stolen, my laptop containing work I was due to submit in that submission period a month later. This was on top of an excruciatingly difficult year for me, personally, almost like Murphy's Law come to life.
- I lodged a complaint immediately, and because my cards were used in 4 different stores immediately following the burglary, with the details of the place and time of use, I had naturally high hopes of the police retrieving my devices [this was extremely important to me as all my personal work from the last 4 years, notes and projects, including work I was doing with my business partner on a startup whose application we were to submit in September, was in those devices, work which was invaluable, and I thus attempted to push the police to follow up on the very strong trail]
- My devices also had the work I was due to submit in the exam period next month, and I was counting on retrieving the devices because I did not have enough time to redo the work. It was this, coupled with the fact that would I have had submitted the Exceptional Circumstances application for an extension, I would have had to redo the whole year, something I could not afford with my financial position. I thus waited until the last moment, when it became inevitable that the police would not follow up on my case. It was this and the turbulence and the distress of the times which led me to miss submitting the request for an extension.
- I was informed in the immediate aftermath that I was now deregistered from the course. I attempted to reason, and take the missed assignments right then, but to no avail.
- The only option was to appeal the decision, which I did, which took 10 months to be delivered, including the final appeal, when it ought to have taken less than three, according to the information I was presented with.
- I plead to the appeal officers in both the appeals, explaining the dire implications of the verdict, as I will lay out below, and arguing against the unreasonable nature of the proceedings and the disproportionate impact of the verdict.
- A few words about what those dreaded implications are are in order here. I come from a low-income household, and my family had mortgaged our home to enable me to pursue my dream to study in the UK. All my plans were predicated on attaining my degree promptly, and this delay of a year, and the verdict that I won't be able to continue on, has derailed my plans with drastic consequences, with me and my family already starting to face the brunt of the impact. The house is at risk of being defaulted, with me at serious risk of falling into a debt spiral, because my plans required me to have graduated by now. Also, having exhausted the loan amount for my tuition fees in the first two years, I am also in the exceedingly constraining position of not being able to enroll in another course elsewhere. It is essentially this or bust. I made all of this clear to the appeal officers, hoping that these be taken into account as extenuating factors, but this was duly dismissed without a hint of its acknowledgment.
- All this over not submitting the EC application, and the appeals office not making an allowance for the most difficult period of my life as the reason for that to be a "good reason". Even in their guidelines, they state that their process should be "fair and reasonable". In what universe is being expelled due to not submitting an EC during a most tumultuous time, and discounting the personal factors surrounding the case, "fair and reasonable". In what universe is this callous treatment reasonable?
- I also feel that personal circumstances should not be divorced from the outcome passed by the university, especially when the personal circumstances are so drastic, and when the interpretation needed to make an allowance for my request is well within the bounds of the leeway of the expression "good reason" and "fair and reasonable".
- Nor was I given any chance to attempt to rectify my situation, or any other potential solutions. I was not even offered the grace of a phone call or an in-person meeting, despite repeated requests for it to plead my case in person such that one might see the face behind the facts of the case.
- To add insult to injury, my complaint to OIA, an independent institute that is supposed to objectively assess the validity of appeal verdicts, yielded nothing more than a "partially justified" outcome with a token £250 for the distress faced, but no recommendations for allowing me to retake the missed exams. This was a slap in the face after everything I had to go through.
- I had only been asking for one thing from the very start - to allow me to retake the modules I had missed, a most reasonable request, but my requests were treated in the most callous, dismissive, insensitive manner, with no concern for my welfare, this after I had spent £45,000 for my tuition fees, and sacrificed so much to study here. The insensitive, unreasonable treatment is extremely difficult to stomach, especially in light of a universities' duty to be "fair, and reasonable" and operate with its students' welfare in mind.
I write this because I am at a crisis point, with the university showing no willingness to communicate any options or solutions to me, with my visa running out in the next few, having my plans delayed by a year already, plans I absolutely had to be on top of, for reasons both financial and otherwise, with no option to start a course elsewhere, all over a missed EC during the most tumultuous time of my life. The gist of all this is that I have to find a way, and the only options I see left are having the ear of someone with some authority at Queen Mary, who would be able to see past the rigid bureaucratic protocols, into the heart of this situation, with an empathic lens who be an ally in this almost existential struggle I am in.
I implore you with all humility to lend your support to this struggle, through whichever means you might be able to, be it giving it voice, or be it relaying it to the ears of someone who could move the needle. I am compelled to do this because I have exhausted all my means and recourses, with the only option left to me is to broadcast my appeal, hoping that someone somewhere looks at this with compassion and sees it for it is, and in the process lends me the most valuable help they could.
I leave you thanking you from the bottom of my heart for your time and your earnest consideration.

Scroll to see replies

I guess you could try talking to the student union because I think they would be able to advise you. However if this was a year ago and you're technically not a student would they help? There's no harm in trying.

Did they (QM) not give you the option to retake the year?

Perhaps someone who is more knowledgeable will see this and answer because I'm out of my depth 🙃 // Good luck!
@Reality Check, @Mr Wednesday, @gjd800 - any thoughts?

(And apologies if this is one you would have spotted without the tag.)
Look, universities provide free cloud storage for exactly such an eventuality where your laptop gets stolen. Indeed, you get 15GB free storage with a gmail or outlook account. No excuse for you not to have backed up your work rather than leaving it all on your hard drive.

University has been fair in asking that you resit the year.

No sympathy for you here.
Original post by Admit-One
@Reality Check, @Mr Wednesday, @gjd800 - any thoughts?

(And apologies if this is one you would have spotted without the tag.)

Thanks for the tag - I hadn't spotted this one as it happens. :smile:
Original post by Surgeof
- I was a student at Queen Mary University Of London, reading Physics at an undergraduate level.
- Last year, a month before my assignments were due, I had a break-in in which my laptop, phone and cards were stolen, my laptop containing work I was due to submit in that submission period a month later. This was on top of an excruciatingly difficult year for me, personally, almost like Murphy's Law come to life.
- I lodged a complaint immediately, and because my cards were used in 4 different stores immediately following the burglary, with the details of the place and time of use, I had naturally high hopes of the police retrieving my devices [this was extremely important to me as all my personal work from the last 4 years, notes and projects, including work I was doing with my business partner on a startup whose application we were to submit in September, was in those devices, work which was invaluable, and I thus attempted to push the police to follow up on the very strong trail]
- My devices also had the work I was due to submit in the exam period next month, and I was counting on retrieving the devices because I did not have enough time to redo the work. It was this, coupled with the fact that would I have had submitted the Exceptional Circumstances application for an extension, I would have had to redo the whole year, something I could not afford with my financial position. I thus waited until the last moment, when it became inevitable that the police would not follow up on my case. It was this and the turbulence and the distress of the times which led me to miss submitting the request for an extension.
- I was informed in the immediate aftermath that I was now deregistered from the course. I attempted to reason, and take the missed assignments right then, but to no avail.
- The only option was to appeal the decision, which I did, which took 10 months to be delivered, including the final appeal, when it ought to have taken less than three, according to the information I was presented with.
- I plead to the appeal officers in both the appeals, explaining the dire implications of the verdict, as I will lay out below, and arguing against the unreasonable nature of the proceedings and the disproportionate impact of the verdict.
- A few words about what those dreaded implications are are in order here. I come from a low-income household, and my family had mortgaged our home to enable me to pursue my dream to study in the UK. All my plans were predicated on attaining my degree promptly, and this delay of a year, and the verdict that I won't be able to continue on, has derailed my plans with drastic consequences, with me and my family already starting to face the brunt of the impact. The house is at risk of being defaulted, with me at serious risk of falling into a debt spiral, because my plans required me to have graduated by now. Also, having exhausted the loan amount for my tuition fees in the first two years, I am also in the exceedingly constraining position of not being able to enroll in another course elsewhere. It is essentially this or bust. I made all of this clear to the appeal officers, hoping that these be taken into account as extenuating factors, but this was duly dismissed without a hint of its acknowledgment.
- All this over not submitting the EC application, and the appeals office not making an allowance for the most difficult period of my life as the reason for that to be a "good reason". Even in their guidelines, they state that their process should be "fair and reasonable". In what universe is being expelled due to not submitting an EC during a most tumultuous time, and discounting the personal factors surrounding the case, "fair and reasonable". In what universe is this callous treatment reasonable?
- I also feel that personal circumstances should not be divorced from the outcome passed by the university, especially when the personal circumstances are so drastic, and when the interpretation needed to make an allowance for my request is well within the bounds of the leeway of the expression "good reason" and "fair and reasonable".
- Nor was I given any chance to attempt to rectify my situation, or any other potential solutions. I was not even offered the grace of a phone call or an in-person meeting, despite repeated requests for it to plead my case in person such that one might see the face behind the facts of the case.
- To add insult to injury, my complaint to OIA, an independent institute that is supposed to objectively assess the validity of appeal verdicts, yielded nothing more than a "partially justified" outcome with a token £250 for the distress faced, but no recommendations for allowing me to retake the missed exams. This was a slap in the face after everything I had to go through.
- I had only been asking for one thing from the very start - to allow me to retake the modules I had missed, a most reasonable request, but my requests were treated in the most callous, dismissive, insensitive manner, with no concern for my welfare, this after I had spent £45,000 for my tuition fees, and sacrificed so much to study here. The insensitive, unreasonable treatment is extremely difficult to stomach, especially in light of a universities' duty to be "fair, and reasonable" and operate with its students' welfare in mind.
I write this because I am at a crisis point, with the university showing no willingness to communicate any options or solutions to me, with my visa running out in the next few, having my plans delayed by a year already, plans I absolutely had to be on top of, for reasons both financial and otherwise, with no option to start a course elsewhere, all over a missed EC during the most tumultuous time of my life. The gist of all this is that I have to find a way, and the only options I see left are having the ear of someone with some authority at Queen Mary, who would be able to see past the rigid bureaucratic protocols, into the heart of this situation, with an empathic lens who be an ally in this almost existential struggle I am in.
I implore you with all humility to lend your support to this struggle, through whichever means you might be able to, be it giving it voice, or be it relaying it to the ears of someone who could move the needle. I am compelled to do this because I have exhausted all my means and recourses, with the only option left to me is to broadcast my appeal, hoping that someone somewhere looks at this with compassion and sees it for it is, and in the process lends me the most valuable help they could.
I leave you thanking you from the bottom of my heart for your time and your earnest consideration.

We'll start by stripping away the thousands of unnecessary words and get to the facts:

Your work, which was needed to pass the examinations, was on a laptop which was stolen.

Rather than submitted a claim for ECs the moment the laptop was stolen, you left it until the last minute, hoping the computer would be recovered. It wasn't.

The EC claim was submitted past the deadline and, because you subsequently failed to pass the year with no mitigation in place, you were withdrawn from the course. You appealed this decision, and this appeal was based solely on a narrative of the personal implications of failing the degree.

You also made a complaint to the OIA, which broadly upheld the university's decision to withdraw you, and awarded a token payment for 'distress'.

My view:

You need to accept that you've reached the end of the road with this, and move on. You have now exhausted all avenues for what you believe to be the outcome you deserve. From the facts presented here (and summarised above), the university has acted reasonably:

(1) It was foolish to have crucial work needed to pass your degree stored on a laptop with no backup of any form, or printed hard copies. Computers fail all the time, laptops are stolen, passwords are forgotten... Universities are clear from the induction week of the first year that students must not rely on technology alone, and they must make arrangements to recover work from digital devices in case of failure. You are a third year, not a first year. Even worse, you are a physics student, and thus more aware of most about good working protocols around computers and digital devices. It's not reasonable to act with such cavalier disregard for these possibilities, have one of them come to pass and then cry foul. Do you think that would work when you move into paid employment, if you 'lost' a huge amount of important, irretrievable information, failed to make any contingency for this (such as one or more backups of the data) and then just said to your boss 'tough - it got lost and it's not my fault'...?

(2) The university's procedures and processes are clear: the moment you realised that you'd lost the work and would not be able to submit, you needed to submit a claim for ECs. It would have been overwhelmingly likely to have been accepted as a valid EC, particularly as you had clear evidence from the police incident report that the theft actually took place. As it was, you chose not submit a claim for ECs, instead foolishly that your property would be returned to you in time to recover the work and submit by the deadline. This is not a reasonable course of action to take: it was reckless and foolhardy.

(3) The personal sob story is not relevant to the above. Neither, I'm afraid, is the huffing and puffing about 'unfairness' and 'bureaucratic processes'. You must know (or should know) that procedures and deadlines are in place so that things are fair and even-handed for everyone - exceptions cannot be made for no good reason just because someone's sob story is more heart-rending than another's, or X's personal circumstances are more grim than Y's. You didn't follow the clear procedures which you knew (or should have known) that you needed to, and that has had consequences. Welcome to real life.
Reply 5
All this would've been avoided had you just used Dropbox.
Original post by gjd800

Or Google Drive. People have periodically reminded me to make sure my work is backed up for years. On a USB before cloud storage became a thing. OP the OIA upheld their decision so it seems to me that you’re out of options no matter how **** it is and I have no doubt it’s absolute ****, your focus now should be on dealing with the aftermath.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by gjd800

....or OneDrive, or Teams, or Notion, or Google Drive or even just periodically emailed the docs to yourself. Hard lesson but OP only has themselves to blame.
Your best option is going to be to apply to transfer your credits to a university outside the UK. Or if you want a UK degree to go home and transfer your credits to Open University and complete your degree through distance learning.

Whatever you do don’t try to overstay your visa as that will make it incredibly difficult or impossible for you to return to the UK.
Reply 9
Original post by ROTL94 3
Or Google Drive. People have periodically reminded me to make sure my work is backed up for years. On a USB before cloud storage became a thing. OP the OIA upheld their decision so it seems to me that you’re out of options no matter how **** it is and I have no doubt it’s absolute ****, your focus now should be on dealing with the aftermath.

Original post by Anonymous
....or OneDrive, or Teams, or Notion, or Google Drive or even just periodically emailed the docs to yourself. Hard lesson but OP only has themselves to blame.

Well, quite.

It is tough but I don't see an issue with the university's decision.
(edited 1 year ago)
Know it sucks but thats the way it is. I'm not going to be nice and sugar coat this for you because that wouldn't be fair. The University in the UK dream is over for you You really should always have at least two backups of your work I don't know about you but as well as don't cheat that was also drilled in to us from day 1. You also should have applied for EC straight away this most likely would have been accepted with the police report as evidence.

You say you can't afford to do another year in the UK so basically you need to go home see if your credits can transfer to a university in you home country and finish you degree there or go to the OU it's pretty well respected and at least you'll have your degree at the end . I know it sucks but thats really all you can do move forward with your life there really is not much else you can do now.
A few comments here, while I have some sympathy for the OPs predicament, particularly the initial loss of the computer and the impact on family finances, there are clearly some issues here that other students can learn from.

1) Always have multiple backups of any critical data, draft reports etc, it should simply be impossible to lose “everything”, and most universities highlight early on that your personal IT and hardware problems are yours alone to manage. Back up often and to multiple archives, on line, the College cloud, personal hardware etc.

2) Understand and follow your local procedures. If you have a serious problem that’s likely to need a mit circ case / hand in extension etc then let the university know immediately, both your personal tutor and via whatever “formal” process is required.

3) The OP lost their project work a month before the deadline. It would have been far far better to try to recreate “some” of that (while launching a mit circ case) than hope for it to be returned. It’s always better to have “something” to submit than miss a final deadline.

4) It sounds like OIA did not rule that the University had to reverse its decision, i.e. its processes were fair and followed correctly I imagine the fine is for taking too long to work through things. I do wonder if there was any “extra” context here the OP has not provided as its unusual to be so “final” for a 1st offence. Is there a history of missed deadline / retakes etc that underpin the “follow the rules as written” approach ?

As others have siad, its sounds like the university process has run its course as has the OIA appeal, its time to move on.
Reply 12
Kindness! People mess up, people are different you can’t expect everyone to be as smart as you are. People respond differently in stressful situations. How about not kicking someone while they’re down.
Kindness is cool!!
Original post by IamDee Dee
Kindness! People mess up, people are different you can’t expect everyone to be as smart as you are. People respond differently in stressful situations. How about not kicking someone while they’re down.
Kindness is cool!!

Yes, kindness is indeed a good thing, but so is fairness and a clear set of rules. Without that some people will always try to game the system to gain an unfair advantage.
Original post by Surgeof

From a human point of view I feel sorry for you it’s been really bad time for you being robbed i never nice and I’m sure you felt bit “violated” I know I did when I’ve been robbed. However this is not the universitys problem.

it was made crystal clear to me when I started at uni that loosing work be it via being robbed or whatever is not an EC issue you are expected to have a back up and I’m sorry to say that’s on you I had master on my laptop a backup at uni and a second back up on a memory stick that’s how it is at uni I’m afraid. I hate to break it to uni the uni definition of "fair and reasonable” is that they will treat everyone the same.

I’m sorry about the implications but again that’s not the university’s problem i know it sucks and it feels unfair now but thats just how life is it can really **** you over sometimes. You should speak to your SU as they might be able to help if they can’t you’ll have to reassess your options I don’t know what opportunities are like in your country but over here there are lots of good well paying jobs even without degrees you can become an airline pilot or air crew or a nuclear tech among many other things just do a search and see “try googling jobs without a degree” in “your country” I’m sure you’ll find something that will give you reasonable standard of living. Or maybe you could do an apprenticeship where you’ll get paid and if you do a degree apprentiship well it does what it says on the tin

I know it sucks but I’m afraid in the end it’s down to you. It’s a hard lesson to learn but your life isn’t over you just need to find a new route.
(edited 12 months ago)
Reply 15
Kindness is cool!!

Kindness does not change the facts on the ground, which is what we were invited to comment on.
(edited 12 months ago)
i Have no help to offer and i am sorry this has happened,I'm going to back my work up now as this had not been a consideration
Reply 17
You can still make your so called facts in a polite manner. Even if you were invited to comment. You can still sound nice. If you know what hat that means.

Original post by gjd800
Kindness does not change the facts on the ground, which is what we were invited to comment on.
Reply 18
You can still make your so called facts in a polite manner. Even if you were invited to comment. You can still sound nice. If you know what hat that means.

Nobody here has been impolite. You are oversensitive.
Original post by Mr Wednesday
Yes, kindness is indeed a good thing, but so is fairness and a clear set of rules. Without that some people will always try to game the system to gain an unfair advantage.

Original post by Surgeof

I hope you've since gotten this affair sorted, and I'm very sorry for what you're going through. I have to admit that I'm shocked by the lack of empathy within some of these responses, as you were just asking for help given a very stressful situation. Nonetheless, I too have been unfairly treated at my university (with ample documentation), and I too am in math/ physics. Sometimes, universities can be heartless and you'll need to appeal with the help of leverage, such as a lawyer, or be prepared to walk away from the whole situation. I just hope that you're doing better today. Know that it's never over till it's over as there is always community college, another institution, another country, online education, open university, etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending