The Student Room Group

getting over regret

I really regret my decision about my location for University, the uni is in the same city i am from and about 25 mins from home. I lived out last year and have this year and socially have experienced the uni life but feel like i’ve wasted an opportunity to live in a new place and grow. I know moving away isn’t exclusive to uni but there’s nothing i can do about my decision now but I’m struggling to stop regretting my decision and just make the most of my uni experience. has anyone gone through a similar situation?
Hi there , I'm sorry that you feel the way that you do and understand your desire to move away from home.
I can imagine that it feels like you have robbed yourself of an opportunity to grow and discover new things . But keep in mind that growth looks like different things and university is a life changing experience whether you live at home or not. You will meet people from different backgrounds and interacting with them will change you. I advise that you make the most of a not so great situation . Get involved with as many activities as possible that your university offers , especially anything that involves travelling out of your city , whether that be social events or academic trips.
I would also advise you to start considering a transfer in second year to another university further away . You can start your research early and see which universities would be capable of taking you.
Finally remember that growth is also about how to manage situations that don't go according to what you want , how you react to this situation will teach you a lot about life.

Goodluck with the year ahead and I hope this helps .

Cece
Engineering Student
De Montfort University
Original post by Anonymous
I really regret my decision about my location for University, the uni is in the same city i am from and about 25 mins from home. I lived out last year and have this year and socially have experienced the uni life but feel like i’ve wasted an opportunity to live in a new place and grow. I know moving away isn’t exclusive to uni but there’s nothing i can do about my decision now but I’m struggling to stop regretting my decision and just make the most of my uni experience. has anyone gone through a similar situation?

I also went to a university in my own city, and lived around 20/30 mins from home. I lived in a flat with other students and I loved how I was both close to home, but had my own space too. It meant that I could pop home if I wanted, but lived independently most of the time. When you graduate, you can move anywhere in the country.
Reply 3
Original post by De Montfort University
Hi there , I'm sorry that you feel the way that you do and understand your desire to move away from home.
I can imagine that it feels like you have robbed yourself of an opportunity to grow and discover new things . But keep in mind that growth looks like different things and university is a life changing experience whether you live at home or not. You will meet people from different backgrounds and interacting with them will change you. I advise that you make the most of a not so great situation . Get involved with as many activities as possible that your university offers , especially anything that involves travelling out of your city , whether that be social events or academic trips.
I would also advise you to start considering a transfer in second year to another university further away . You can start your research early and see which universities would be capable of taking you.
Finally remember that growth is also about how to manage situations that don't go according to what you want , how you react to this situation will teach you a lot about life.

Goodluck with the year ahead and I hope this helps .

Cece
Engineering Student
De Montfort University

hey thanks for the reply. yeh it’s just really annoying but there’s nothing i can do about it now. I can’t transfer because i’m already in my second year and i’m studying quite a niche subject that not many unis do and the ones that do have higher entry requirements than my grades. I do however want to do a year abroad next year
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
I also went to a university in my own city, and lived around 20/30 mins from home. I lived in a flat with other students and I loved how I was both close to home, but had my own space too. It meant that I could pop home if I wanted, but lived independently most of the time. When you graduate, you can move anywhere in the country

yeh i think it works well for some ppl but i personally just regret it because i don’t feel like i’ve experienced anything new :frown:
Life is what you make it. I was told that if you are "facing the past" you will have your back to the future. There are many opportunities awaiting, so if you face the future you will embrace it and experience many things.
Original post by cloudchamber
Life is what you make it. I was told that if you are "facing the past" you will have your back to the future. There are many opportunities awaiting, so if you face the future you will embrace it and experience many things.

Nice proverb ( 'If you are facing the past, you will have your back to the future').

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending