The Student Room Group

Getting into University without the typical GCSES..

Hi guys, i didnt do normal gcses like most people, i ended up doing a BTEC level 2 in IT and achoeved distinction. i did however get my english gcse (5) and maths gcse (9). and am now working towards a levels. Would the top tier universities still accept me without having the typical 9 gcses?
Reply 1
Im the same boat as you,only have a level 2 Btec business (merit) and English (6) and maths (5), I moved from Ireland when I was 17 I did my GCSE at some dead sixth form. ''you could'' have a chance depending what Uni it is and the course and like me have a somewhat reason for you lack of gcse's. as long as you meet the gcse requirement's,bang out your a levels and have a killer personal statement you should have a reasonable chance, Im also looking to apply to top unis like Bath and Exeter but I don't know if you would consider them top though, my math's kinda screwd me up and these are the minute unis I meet gcse requirments for. Im glad Im not the only one stuck in this situation.
Reply 2
I have 4 GCSEs and a level 2 Functional Skills in ICT. Maths (6), English (6), Business (5), Foundation statistics (5).
I done crap in my first set of A Levels - Geography (E), Economics (D) (Teacher predicted grades).

This past year I done a new set of A Levels independently and finished the exams a week ago - Maths, Further Maths and Computer Science. Predicted A* in all but Further maths was pretty hard this year. Got offers for CS from RHuL, QMuL, and City. I got rejected from KCL and UCL. My personal statement was good but I got rejected from KCL and UCL due to competitiveness, likely due to my GCSEs.

Just try your best and chose 2-3 High uni's like UCL or KCL and make the rest mid / safe and you should be fine. Bare in mind a lot of uni's require 5 minimum GCSE's, some of the ones I applied to like RHUL required it but I still got it, it just depends and contact them.
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by yupcabra23
Im the same boat as you,only have a level 2 Btec business (merit) and English (6) and maths (5), I moved from Ireland when I was 17 I did my GCSE at some dead sixth form. ''you could'' have a chance depending what Uni it is and the course and like me have a somewhat reason for you lack of gcse's. as long as you meet the gcse requirement's,bang out your a levels and have a killer personal statement you should have a reasonable chance, Im also looking to apply to top unis like Bath and Exeter but I don't know if you would consider them top though, my math's kinda screwd me up and these are the minute unis I meet gcse requirments for. Im glad Im not the only one stuck in this situation.

Yeah i have taken a look and most of even thetop 10 universities only require you to have the equivelent of 5 gcses but ofc with GCSE math and english. so im pretty sure its all good. as our level 2 is worth 3 gcses + the english and math. Tbh i dont think GCSES matter at all as long as u have english and math, A level are much more important. but yh we got this man ez
Original post by alanb21
I have 4 GCSEs and a level 2 Functional Skills in ICT. Maths (6), English (6), Business (5), Foundation statistics (5).
I done crap in my first set of A Levels - Geography (E), Economics (D) (Teacher predicted grades).

This past year I done a new set of A Levels independently and finished the exams a week ago - Maths, Further Maths and Computer Science. Predicted A* in all but Further maths was pretty hard this year. Got offers for CS from RHuL, QMuL, and City. I got rejected from KCL and UCL. My personal statement was good but I got rejected from KCL and UCL due to competitiveness, likely due to my GCSEs.

Just try your best and chose 2-3 High uni's like UCL or KCL and make the rest mid / safe and you should be fine. Bare in mind a lot of uni's require 5 minimum GCSE's, some of the ones I applied to like RHUL required it but I still got it, it just depends and contact them.

dahm nice, did u do ur a levels online? im also doing an A level online this year (A level math) along side my IT. bro ngl A* in math and computer science is crazy plus further math lol. did u do math over 1 year
Reply 5
Original post by revo349
dahm nice, did u do ur a levels online? im also doing an A level online this year (A level math) along side my IT. bro ngl A* in math and computer science is crazy plus further math lol. did u do math over 1 year

I did my Computer Science A level through a online provider but that was only for them to mark my NEA, not worth it tbh I would just do Cambridge international if I would do it again and just do exams cause it cost £990, and I learnt everything from free resources anyway. I picked subjects I knew I would be interested in but hard work will get you the grades it's fine. And yeah I did all 3 A Levels in a single year, but if I didn't procrastinate non-stop I could of done everything in 6 months likely.
Original post by alanb21
I did my Computer Science A level through a online provider but that was only for them to mark my NEA, not worth it tbh I would just do Cambridge international if I would do it again and just do exams cause it cost £990, and I learnt everything from free resources anyway. I picked subjects I knew I would be interested in but hard work will get you the grades it's fine. And yeah I did all 3 A Levels in a single year, but if I didn't procrastinate non-stop I could of done everything in 6 months likely.

3 a levels in 1 year dahm. im doing a level maths in 1 year + doing a lvl 3 btec this year so i guess im doing something similar but tbh BTEC is way easier than A level lol. How many hours did u do a day? im doing like 5 a day atm for math
Reply 7
Original post by revo349
3 a levels in 1 year dahm. im doing a level maths in 1 year + doing a lvl 3 btec this year so i guess im doing something similar but tbh BTEC is way easier than A level lol. How many hours did u do a day? im doing like 5 a day atm for math

Overall probably 4-5 hours average each day through out the year for all 3 subjects. Would of liked to be more consistent.

Quick Reply

Latest