The Student Room Group

idk what to do about fees

Hello! im due to start uni at reading in october but i have no idea what to do about fees. im a Muslim so taking out a student loan is unfortunately haram because of the interest. my family are not equipped to be paying for me and i think the uni wants fee payments in 2 instalments (oct and jan). i dont have a part time job right now and im at a complete loss on what to do.

any suggestions?? are there other muslims here who found an alternative halal loan??

thanks
You should speak to your spiritual advisor. There is no realistic way you can find that kind of money with no interest.
Reply 2
Original post by allusiveandrea
Hello! im due to start uni at reading in october but i have no idea what to do about fees. im a Muslim so taking out a student loan is unfortunately haram because of the interest. my family are not equipped to be paying for me and i think the uni wants fee payments in 2 instalments (oct and jan). i dont have a part time job right now and im at a complete loss on what to do.

any suggestions?? are there other muslims here who found an alternative halal loan??

thanks

I believe it will be extremely difficult trying to find an alternative at this stage, may Allāh bless you. I was in a similar position to you last year and I could barely find any help so I withdrew my offer and instead ended up looking for a degree apprenticeship. I wasn't successful in my applications this year so I have to try again next year and although it's difficult, it is extremely important that we prioritise our religion over anything else and put our reliance on Allāh as He said (meaning): "And whosoever fears Allâh and keeps his duty to Him, He will make a way for him to get out (from every difficulty). And He will provide him from (sources) he never could imagine. And whosoever puts his trust in Allâh, then He will suffice him. Verily, Allâh will accomplish his purpose. Indeed Allâh has set a measure for all things." [at-Talāq 65:2-3]

Even though it was disheartening not getting any offers for apprenticeships this year, it gave me an opportunity to spend this year focusing on studying Arabic and seeking Islamic knowledge, which I swear by Allāh has brought be joy like nothing else. I know that once I start working, I won't get time like this so in reality it was a blessing in disguise. My point is that Allāh will open doors for us if we obey Him and we should be patient upon this, even if it may come with hardship at first - always remember the āyāt that I mentioned above.

So perhaps the only option at this point would be to opt out, and know that you are doing it for Allāh's sake and have certainty that he will make a way out for you due to this. The Prophet said (meaning): Verily, you will never leave anything for the sake of Allah Almighty but that Allah will replace it with something better.” [Musnad Aḥmad 22565 - authenticated by al-Albānī]

Furthermore, I advise you to prioritise seeking Islamic knowledge as the majority of Muslims do not pay enough attention to studying the religion so they lack the understanding and the wisdom of the religion. This prevents them from finding the peace in their heart and the love for the religion which it deserves. I recommend an excellent YouTube channel (https://www.youtube.com/@gardenofilm) to start seeking knowledge so you can strengthen your connection to Allāh and make easy your path to Jannah as the Prophet said (meaning) "Whoever travels a path in search of knowledge, Allah will make easy for him a path to Paradise. People do not gather in the houses of Allah, reciting the Book of Allah and studying it together, but that tranquility will descend upon them, mercy will cover them, angels will surround them, and Allah will mention them to those near Him" [Sahīh Muslim 2699].

If you would like any further help, I would be happy to help.
Reply 3
I'm on a gap year for the same reason and after searching for a job for months, got a job in January. I plan on working part time whilst I'm at uni and my parents will contribute whatever sum of money I'm unable to make up, the same as they're doing for my sister. Hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending