The Student Room Group

Imposter syndrome

Hi I have begun my masters and I just feel so insecure and like I will fail. Even if I get good grades I just feel like I’m so dumb and don’t deserve to be on this course.

I’m not sure if I should carry on..
You have to carry on. Prove your insecurity wrong. You can do it!
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Hi I have begun my masters and I just feel so insecure and like I will fail. Even if I get good grades I just feel like I’m so dumb and don’t deserve to be on this course.

Sounds like you ae discounting all the evidence against your belief that you are dumb. Do dumb people get onto master's courses? Do these courses accept applicants who are likely to fail? If you get good grades, does that mean you have failed? Would you get good grades if you were dumb or a failure? What makes a person 'deserve' a place on a course like this? Did you put in work to get here?

Low self-esteem or negative beliefs about yourself can make it difficult to acknowledge the positives. Try to think objectively, or with compassion towards yourself. If a friend said this to you, what would you tell them?
Original post by Anonymous

Hi there!

I'm sorry to hear that you're feeling this way. I can see how it can be difficult and possibly overwhelming starting a new course, especially a masters. Though, you could not have gotten into a masters course without working very hard, so you should most definitely be proud of yourself as getting accepted into the course is a massive achievement in itself!

Sometimes I find myself slipping into thoughts of self doubt like that, so I try to then take a moment and think about what I have done to get to where I am today. We often don't give ourselves enough credit so to just stop and reflect on all the hard work you've done might help.

I'm sure you're not the only one feeling like this and I hope as you go on through the year, you feel better! :smile:

Emily
Second Year Creative Writing Student
Reply 4
I'm in the second week of my new masters course and completely understand what you're saying. I'm 44 and got my place based on work experience and professional qualifications rather than having a degree in my subject area. This means there's lots of thing the other students understand better, which is really intimidating.

I've found that trying to focus on why I want to do the course and remembering that I'm there to learn and am not supposed to know it all already really helped.

Try not to overthink things and enjoy the course. Yes it will be hard work, but it wouldn't be worth it if it wasn't
Reply 5
It never really leaves. I have three degrees, two postgrad certs, a raft of professional quals accrued over the past 20 years or so and I still have it at the back of my mind. You just have to crack on and challenge through your work.
Reply 6
The fact you suffer with imposter syndrome at all is a good sign you’ll pass. I have suffered with it throughout my MRes and tbh it’s what provided the majority of discipline required. You’ll be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending