The Student Room Group

Maths or media studies alevel?

I am currently in year 12 and I'm not sure what I want to do when I want to go to uni. I've been looking at some jobs in media and marketing but I'm worried that they won't pay well or that I won't be able to get into some courses if I change my mind.
I'm doing English language and literature, psychology, media studies and core maths (which is an AS).
If I switch to maths I'll drop the last two.
Reply 1
Hi, if you enjoy maths then it seems like you would be better off doing it. Media and marketing degrees tend to be less demanding it what types of subjects they accept (as well as the grades needed). So the english and psychology a level would be fine alone. As you are unsure of what to go into it may be a good idea to take up the maths a level as it would open up more routes and potential careers for you. To be blunt if you go into a degree which requires math the salaries tend to be higher (on average). Do be aware that maths a level is demanding and from what I heard it is a big step up from GCSE so do some more research into the a level before taking a final decision. Your college may also have a career advisor to it might be worth a visit.
Reply 2
Marketing requires Maths - stats etc are a big factor in the degree and the job.

You dont need 'Media Studies' for Marketing - and Eng, Psych and Maths would leave lots of other degrees open to you if you changed your mind.
Original post by McGinger
Marketing requires Maths - stats etc are a big factor in the degree and the job.

You dont need 'Media Studies' for Marketing - and Eng, Psych and Maths would leave lots of other degrees open to you if you changed your mind.

I agree
Reply 4
Thanks everyone, I've switched to maths now :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest