The Student Room Group

Should I change one of my A-levels

I currently study Psychology, Accounting ,and media studies however now I know that I definitely want to pursue becoming a clinical psychologist. I have seen on most of the universities that I would like to apply to that they preferably would like a scientific A-level (chemistry physics biology). So I am wondering if studying a psychology degree at the university of leeds for example would be doable with just an A-level in psychology.
It would make you a stronger applicant for other unis as well if you do another science. Chem or bio would be more relevant than phys. Your other 2 subjects aren't much relevant to psychology either if you're really keen for that degree

Go check the requirements on uni websites to see if they want any specific combo for your course
(edited 10 months ago)
The clinical psychology pathway is extremely different to experimental psychology from what I've heard. Definitely do your research.
Original post by liza2006
I currently study Psychology, Accounting ,and media studies however now I know that I definitely want to pursue becoming a clinical psychologist. I have seen on most of the universities that I would like to apply to that they preferably would like a scientific A-level (chemistry physics biology). So I am wondering if studying a psychology degree at the university of leeds for example would be doable with just an A-level in psychology.

Hi @liza2006,
Lots of psychology courses require at least one science at A-Level, but Psychology will most likely count as one of those sciences.
Psychology is a really broad subject so as long as your passion comes across in your personal statement you shouldn't be at a huge disadvantage with your current a-levels :smile:. I did English Lit, Chemistry and Psychology at A-Level and am now in my 3rd year of Psychology at Lancaster - I know Lancs has no subject requirements as long as you got a B at Maths GCSE, so some places have no a-level requirements!
To be a clinical psychologist most people do a BPS accredited psychology (BSc/BA) undergraduate and then go to clinical from there. Your grade from your undergraduate and any extra work experience you have had will be considered at this point (not really your alevels).

Hopefully that helps a bit,
Eloise (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest