The Student Room Group

Expenses in cities for higher studies

Hey! Since I am not sure about the expenses in the cities where I may study, I thought of reaching out here to hear your thoughts on their relative overall costs.

How would you all compare the following cities in terms of overall costs for an undergraduate student (or any student):

1. Edinburgh
2. Warwick
3. Southampton
4. Bristol
5. Manchester

As far as what I have heard, Edinburgh and Bristol are pretty expensive. I am not sure if Warwick and Southampton are affordable. Manchester seems to be affordable but a little bit towards the expensive side.
Hi @AndrewWAD

Great to see you are considering Southampton. I am a second year student at the University of Southampton, so i can tell you a bit about Southampton. Southampton is very affordable.

In terms of rent, it is affordable. For second year onwards, houses tend to be quite cheap usually around £500per month per person including bills. Depending on how many people are in the house it can be cheaper or more expensive. As for halls in first year, it is variable. It depends what type of room you opt for and in which halls of residence. Non-ensuite is affordable. Some of the larger ensuite rooms are more expensive. Non-ensuite begins at the price of £128 per week. While, ensuite starts at £145 per week. You can find out about the different options here.

In terms of travel, the buses are not expensive. But in first year, you get a free bus card so you can travel for free. And in terms of shopping, there is Lidl and Aldi fairly nearby and so shopping can be done there fairly cheaply. Some halls of residence are walking distance. Others are short bus ride away.

Hope this helps,
Gulcin
2nd Year PPE Student
University of Southampton
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Uni of Southampton Students
Hi @AndrewWAD

Great to see you are considering Southampton. I am a second year student at the University of Southampton, so i can tell you a bit about Southampton. Southampton is very affordable.

In terms of rent, it is affordable. For second year onwards, houses tend to be quite cheap usually around £500per month per person including bills. Depending on how many people are in the house it can be cheaper or more expensive. As for halls in first year, it is variable. It depends what type of room you opt for and in which halls of residence. Non-ensuite is affordable. Some of the larger ensuite rooms are more expensive. Non-ensuite begins at the price of £128 per week. While, ensuite starts at £145 per week. You can find out about the different options here.

In terms of travel, the buses are not expensive. But in first year, you get a free bus card so you can travel for free. And in terms of shopping, there is Lidl and Aldi fairly nearby and so shopping can be done there fairly cheaply. Some halls of residence are walking distance. Others are short bus ride away.

Hope this helps,
Gulcin
2nd Year PPE Student

Thanks for give me a brief overview! I was struggling finding such information on the internet.
Reply 3
Original post by AndrewWAD
Original post by Uni of Southampton Students
Hi @AndrewWAD

Hope this helps,
Gulcin
2nd Year PPE Student

Thanks for give me a brief overview! I was struggling finding such information on the internet.

*giving

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending