The Student Room Group

Guys joining the cheerleading team?

Hello Everyone.
I am a male student who is looking to join an cheerleading group and need opinions as I am debating whether to join.

As controversial as it sounds, It is something that can benefit me. Not only for giving me an extracurricular activity, but also to help me “start afresh” with the opposite gender.

This is because for a while, I’ve wanted to be in a relationship with girls, but very little success. I realise now it’s because I have been putting far too much pressure to seek a relationship which has led to me not getting the results I want.

So I have realised I need to take a step back and start afresh with girls, so rather than seeking a relationship, I will try to be normal with girls, recognise they ate normal people just like everyone else and form simple friendships with them and take things slow, rather than just focusing on relationships. I therefore see this cheerleading team as a perfect opportunity to start over with my social skills with the opposite gender.

I have had a few sessions with the group and I must say I rather enjoy trying out the cheerleading itself, but also starting to improve my social skills with girls. Most of them, if not all seem friendly and don’t seem to have any issues with my presence but considering I’m the only male there, even though the club is open to both genders,has left me with some questions

1), is it really strange for someone like me in my situation to join a cheerleading group?

2) Would the girls secretly be creeped out by my presence in the group even though they haven’t shown any signs yet?

3) as a girl, do you find it uncomfortable and creepy if a guy was to join your cheerleading group?

For now this is what I can think of to say but I’d love to hear what everyone here would say on this topic.

Thanks in advance for your responses.
Alright, so in and of itself I wouldn't have thought that there's nothing wrong with a guy being in a cheerleading group. In America it's much more common for guys to be in cheerleading groups, but there are plenty of extra curricular activities that are majority female but where guys are more than welcome if they want to join.

I can't speak for individual girls in cheerleading groups being creeped out by guys, because I am neither a girl nor a cheerleader, but the big red flag for me here is that you are using this as a way to "start afresh" with girls. To put it bluntly, whilst you can certainly start a relationship with someone that you have met through a mutual interest, those girls are there to do cheerleading, not to be hit on. So it depends very much on how you think this is going to help you. If this is just so you have regular interactions with girls and can get more comfortable with talking to girls in general, with the added bonus of doing something that you enjoy, then that is fine. But if you are treating this as a direct route to a relationship, that is to say that you hope to get with one of the girls in the group, that is far more likely to cause a problem. Not because it isn't possible; most mixed sports clubs in universities will have members who get into relationships with each other. But because if that becomes one of your main aims with the history you've described, you are much more likely to be not nearly as subtle as you think you are, and make it obvious that you're there for the wrong reasons. So in principle, no, there's no problem with this, providing you are actually doing it for the right reasons. If your priority, in reality, is on a relationship, there are plenty of ways to go about it without doing this. If that is the case, and only you know if it is, I'd respect the girls and leave them to their interest without needing to deal with a guy wanting to get into a relationship with them.
Reply 2
Original post by Crazy Jamie
Alright, so in and of itself I wouldn't have thought that there's nothing wrong with a guy being in a cheerleading group. In America it's much more common for guys to be in cheerleading groups, but there are plenty of extra curricular activities that are majority female but where guys are more than welcome if they want to join.

I can't speak for individual girls in cheerleading groups being creeped out by guys, because I am neither a girl nor a cheerleader, but the big red flag for me here is that you are using this as a way to "start afresh" with girls. To put it bluntly, whilst you can certainly start a relationship with someone that you have met through a mutual interest, those girls are there to do cheerleading, not to be hit on. So it depends very much on how you think this is going to help you. If this is just so you have regular interactions with girls and can get more comfortable with talking to girls in general, with the added bonus of doing something that you enjoy, then that is fine. But if you are treating this as a direct route to a relationship, that is to say that you hope to get with one of the girls in the group, that is far more likely to cause a problem. Not because it isn't possible; most mixed sports clubs in universities will have members who get into relationships with each other. But because if that becomes one of your main aims with the history you've described, you are much more likely to be not nearly as subtle as you think you are, and make it obvious that you're there for the wrong reasons. So in principle, no, there's no problem with this, providing you are actually doing it for the right reasons. If your priority, in reality, is on a relationship, there are plenty of ways to go about it without doing this. If that is the case, and only you know if it is, I'd respect the girls and leave them to their interest without needing to deal with a guy wanting to get into a relationship with them.

Hi,
Thanks for your response.

I probably must’ve forgot to make this clear in the post but it looks like the way I worded the post makes it look like I’m joining only to seek a relationship.

But rather it’s the total opposite reason. As well as doing an extra activity at uni, it gives me a chance to start having just normal basic interactions with girls. My class, being male dominated means there is no girls to be able to do so.

I have been advised by my therapist in the summer to surround myself with women and learn to just interact with them and see them as just people like you and I.
You sound like a nice person OP. I know that girls love to have a gay best friend. I think you'll be okay, especially once they get to know you. People are more accepting of non-confirmation to gender stereotypes nowadays which is good. I hope it goes well for you.
Original post by Anonymous
You sound like a nice person OP. I know that girls love to have a gay best friend. I think you'll be okay, especially once they get to know you. People are more accepting of non-confirmation to gender stereotypes nowadays which is good. I hope it goes well for you.

OP isn't gay, he wants to get with a girl lmfaoooooo I'm dead.
Hi,
Thanks for your response.

I probably must’ve forgot to make this clear in the post but it looks like the way I worded the post makes it look like I’m joining only to seek a relationship.

But rather it’s the total opposite reason. As well as doing an extra activity at uni, it gives me a chance to start having just normal basic interactions with girls. My class, being male dominated means there is no girls to be able to do so.

I have been advised by my therapist in the summer to surround myself with women and learn to just interact with them and see them as just people like you and I.

In which case that sounds fine to me. You've clearly identified a need to change the way that you view women, which is a good thing, and this is as good a way as any to go about that.
Reply 6
Original post by Sorcerer of Old
OP isn't gay, he wants to get with a girl lmfaoooooo I'm dead.

I must point out I am not gay. Which just adds to the confusion as to what girls think of straight people joining the group
I must point out I am not gay. Which just adds to the confusion as to what girls think of straight people joining the group

Well in the UK at least I do think many if not most people would assume a male wanting to do cheerleading is gay as it’s stereotypically very much a female activity.
Hello Everyone.
I am a male student who is looking to join an cheerleading group and need opinions as I am debating whether to join.

As controversial as it sounds, It is something that can benefit me. Not only for giving me an extracurricular activity, but also to help me “start afresh” with the opposite gender.

This is because for a while, I’ve wanted to be in a relationship with girls, but very little success. I realise now it’s because I have been putting far too much pressure to seek a relationship which has led to me not getting the results I want.

So I have realised I need to take a step back and start afresh with girls, so rather than seeking a relationship, I will try to be normal with girls, recognise they ate normal people just like everyone else and form simple friendships with them and take things slow, rather than just focusing on relationships. I therefore see this cheerleading team as a perfect opportunity to start over with my social skills with the opposite gender.

I have had a few sessions with the group and I must say I rather enjoy trying out the cheerleading itself, but also starting to improve my social skills with girls. Most of them, if not all seem friendly and don’t seem to have any issues with my presence but considering I’m the only male there, even though the club is open to both genders,has left me with some questions

1), is it really strange for someone like me in my situation to join a cheerleading group?

2) Would the girls secretly be creeped out by my presence in the group even though they haven’t shown any signs yet?

3) as a girl, do you find it uncomfortable and creepy if a guy was to join your cheerleading group?

For now this is what I can think of to say but I’d love to hear what everyone here would say on this topic.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

IMHO, this could work out very well for you if, and only if, you go in with the primary focus on the cheerleading itself. If you go in with the intention of looking for a partner (even if it's on the back-burner), then yes, you risk coming across as weird, and "creeping girls out" (they've got a 6th sense and can pick up on this sort of thing). If they can see you're serious about it, you should be OK. This means focusing on what the instructor is saying, NOT looking around at the others in the group.

If i were you... in the first instance, I would try and get to know everyone in the group (as individual people / human beings), rather than focusing on a few individuals (you'll probably naturally vibe with some people better than others). Even if you "click" with someone fairly early on, chances are the others will be suspicious of your motives if you don't even bother to get to know others there.

So yeah, go for it... but forget about looking for a partner there for now, and focus on the other benefits (e.g. exercise, the social aspect in general etc.). As for any potential relationships, just cross that bridge when you know or suspect you're getting closer to one person in particular.

This is a good post, and I agree with pretty much all of it.

In which case that sounds fine to me. You've clearly identified a need to change the way that you view women, which is a good thing, and this is as good a way as any to go about that.

I'm not convinced a cheerleading environment would be the best for this... personally, I would have thought something like a drama / amateur dramatics type class would be better for these purposes. I mean, cheerleading is likely to attract a specific personality type, so you won't be getting the same exposure to the different types of girls out there.

Original post by Sorcerer of Old
Well in the UK at least I do think many if not most people would assume a male wanting to do cheerleading is gay as it’s stereotypically very much a female activity.

I've done some work with cheerleading groups in the past (long story, don't ask lol) and although not "typical", it's not unheard of for there to be the odd guy in the team (even in the UK). You have to remember Cheerleading is very athletic (with all the jumps / shapes they need to throw)... so you'd need decent upper body strength as well as balance/ co-ordination if you wanted to be good at it.

Having said that, quite often the male members were the team mascot; so they'd be dressed up from head to toe in some costume, so most people wouldn't recognise them anyway (you might get a bit hot under those stadium lights though) .
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 9
Cheerleading is an idiotic sport and even more so in this country.

Hear me out.

The reason is that it is so unbeliveably dangerous. It's not heavily regulated doesn't have international status like gymnastics. Instead what you have is a constant push for more and more extreme stunts and manouveres - often made up by the athletes themselves and not by coaches. In this country, there is nothing like the experience nor the facilities in coaching and you're going to get people basically trying to teach themselves off the internet.

As it is, cheerleading is by far and away the most dangerous sport for women in the US, and causes vastly more fatal or catastrophic injuries than any other sport including horse-riding. The entire focus of the sport is to hoist people into the air to be caught by other people. This differs from almost any other similar activity. Even with the proper coaching, its asking for trouble, and the more boys that do it (for the obvious reasons), the more the teams are encouraged to perform more and more dangerous stunts, as its the boys who will be doing the supporting and throwing.

As a way to meet girls. I mean, yeah - it might work - you'll get loads of brownie points holding their hand in the back of the ambulance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending