The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham postgrad accommodation

Hi everyone! I recently went to the postgrad open day - I absolutely loved the campus and city, but I'm really apprehensive about the accommodation situation. On the Ustinov College tour, the youngest person I met was 6 years older than me and I'm feeling really uncomfortable with the idea of living with men double my age. I'm doing my undergrad at another collegiate university and our postgrad only college is like a ghost town. I know there are a limited number of rooms for postgrads in other colleges, but I was wondering how likely it is to get one of these rooms and if factors such as age are taken into consideration. Ustinov also lacks a cheerleading team, which is something I was really excited to join - can I join a different college's if I end up there?

I'm also aware of the student house crisis in Durham and am unsure how I'd even meet continuing undergrads who need an extra housemate, or if this would even be a good idea as I'm unfamiliar with the city and don't know anyone there.

Thanks so much for any help! :smile:
Reply 1
I also went to the open day and I think a lot of colleges have postgrad specific accommodation so there is some chance that you will get somewhere to live if you apply to one of these other colleges. For this postgrad specific accommodation I would be suprised if age was much of a deciding factor in terms of room allocation.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by Anonymous
Hi everyone! I recently went to the postgrad open day - I absolutely loved the campus and city, but I'm really apprehensive about the accommodation situation. On the Ustinov College tour, the youngest person I met was 6 years older than me and I'm feeling really uncomfortable with the idea of living with men double my age. I'm doing my undergrad at another collegiate university and our postgrad only college is like a ghost town. I know there are a limited number of rooms for postgrads in other colleges, but I was wondering how likely it is to get one of these rooms and if factors such as age are taken into consideration. Ustinov also lacks a cheerleading team, which is something I was really excited to join - can I join a different college's if I end up there?
I'm also aware of the student house crisis in Durham and am unsure how I'd even meet continuing undergrads who need an extra housemate, or if this would even be a good idea as I'm unfamiliar with the city and don't know anyone there.
Thanks so much for any help! :smile:
Hi there

I'm glad to know that you liked the campus and the city!

In terms of Ustinov accommodation, there is definitely a good mix of people from different ages. The youngest person still being older than you was only on the tour- many more people of different age groups live in Ustinov so I think that will balance your view of the college.

Age is not taken into account when allocating colleges. According to the website, only your ranked college preferences, the number of students from each department, study level (Taught or Research) and fee status (Home and International) are considered during allocation.

I'm honestly not sure about whether you can join another society's cheerleading team as this is very much a college-specific thing but you can definitely start one for Ustinov! For meeting other students who are looking for housing, the Facebook group is a great place to start- this is also where I found my housemates for 3 years and everything has been smooth sailing as long as you meet beforehand and talk about things you like/dislike when living together.

Here's a student-written blog that may help too: My life at Ustinov :smile:

-Himieka
(edited 2 weeks ago)

Quick Reply

Latest