The Student Room Group

Condoned fail on one module, would this effect my classification and employment?

I didn't get 40 on this module and got 34 instead which is a condoned fail mark after my resit. This means I will not be getting the full 120 credits for second year, but 105 instead since I did not manage to pass that module and I am still able to progress onto third year. I am currently on the Msci Chemistry programme, which is an integrated masters degree and will be going into thirst year this september. I was wondering how I am able to calculate my average grade for second year. Do i still include the 34 marks out of the 120 credits or do i completely disregard it? How do i go about calculating my final second year grade with the condoned failed mark? Since it makes a huge difference on whether my average was a 2:1 or not for second year. Since i am in penultimate year, I am going to apply for summer internships this year as well. Will this greatly effect my chances and will places ask for transcripts? Will this also effect whether i graduate w a 2:1 or above and would this condoned fail mark show on my certificate? These are my main worries for now.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I didn't get 40 on this module and got 34 instead which is a condoned fail mark after my resit. This means I will not be getting the full 120 credits for second year, but 105 instead since I did not manage to pass that module and I am still able to progress onto third year. I am currently on the Msci Chemistry programme, which is an integrated masters degree and will be going into thirst year this september. I was wondering how I am able to calculate my average grade for second year. Do i still include the 34 marks out of the 120 credits or do i completely disregard it? How do i go about calculating my final second year grade with the condoned failed mark? Since it makes a huge difference on whether my average was a 2:1 or not for second year. Since i am in penultimate year, I am going to apply for summer internships this year as well. Will this greatly effect my chances and will places ask for transcripts? Will this also effect whether i graduate w a 2:1 or above and would this condoned fail mark show on my certificate? These are my main worries for now.

"Condoning" a failing mark is essentially awarding the credit even though you haven't met the pass mark for the module. So you have been awarded 120 credits.

I would expect the mark calculation to include the 34 marks you got for the module that was condoned.

An internship might want to see an interim transcript (but your university might not issue such a document). If they ask for a breakdown of what you've achieved so far, then you do need to tell the truth.

Would your degree certificate show a condoned fail? It's highly unlikely that it will show anything more than your final classification. However, I would imagine that your final transcript would show it; but you'd need to check with your university as to what they do put on transcripts.

As ever, what happens will depend on your university's regulations and practices. These can vary a lot between universities.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending