The Student Room Group

Failed ‘first attempt’ deferral can I resit ?

Due to extenuating circumstances(bereavement )I had to defer exams . I have a learning disability and despite preparing in advance I struggled majorly.
In the exam I only completed half the paper. For this reason I’m certain I have failed as I was struggling to even complete the first half of the exam paper And wrote a couple paragraphs for the second half .
As this is technically my first attempt, would the uni also allow me to resit as every student typically gets two chances. I think it’s only fair i get a second chance as the reasons behind why I couldn’t initially do the exam were out my control.
I worked really hard this year and really don’t want to resit the whole year due to failing this one core module.
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by amber2106
Due to extenuating circumstances(bereavement )I had to defer exams . I have a learning disability and despite preparing in advance I struggled majorly.
In the exam I only completed half the paper. For this reason I’m certain I have failed as I was struggling to even complete the first half of the exam paper And wrote a couple paragraphs for the second half .
As this is technically my first attempt, would the uni also allow me to resit as every student typically gets two chances. I think it’s only fair i get a second chance as the reasons behind why I couldn’t initially do the exam were out my control.
I worked really hard this year and really don’t want to resit the whole year due to failing this one core module.

Every university has their own rules and regulations to cover scenarios like this. Which university are you at?

Whilst you would be right to think that "it’s only fair i get a second chance as the reasons behind why I couldn’t initially do the exam were out my control", sometimes things don't quite work out that way. There was another student on TSR recently who asked a very similar question. For them, although the rules allowed a second attempt (i..e deferral, attempt 1, attempt 2), it was down to their department to schedule the second attempt before the next academic year began and the department simply said that there was no time and so it couldn't be done. Hopefully you university will not take the same approach!

Some universities also have the concept of "condonement", which is where they accept that you have failed a module, but effectively turn a blind eye and allow you to proceed anyway. There are normally rules about the type of modules this can be applied to, the number of credits, your performance in the other modules, etc. Again, all this will vary from university to university.
Reply 2
In my dept we'd have you take the unit into your next year. As above you need to speak either to your academic advisor or to your departmental administrators
(edited 8 months ago)
hi im at kcl and in the exact same position as you, i deferred an exam due to illness and i was ill again during the exam today, what happened in your end? im still waiting to hear back from my uni

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending