The Student Room Group

State school

I’ve heard Worcester is very keen to admit state school
candidates - does any one know if this is true ?
Original post by Anonymous #1
I’ve heard Worcester is very keen to admit state school
candidates - does any one know if this is true ?

It is the policy of Oxford Uni to encourage applications from all sectors of society, regardless of background. Many College access and outreach programs are specifically aimed at state schools. Their flagship residential UNIQ summer schools give preference to state schools. Worcester College is no different from any other Oxford College in admitting state school candidates. According to the University's latest statistics, about 68% of undergraduate admissions came from the state schools, with about 15% from independent schools and 15% overseas students.
Reply 2
Original post by BetaVersion2.9
It is the policy of Oxford Uni to encourage applications from all sectors of society, regardless of background. Many College access and outreach programs are specifically aimed at state schools. Their flagship residential UNIQ summer schools give preference to state schools. Worcester College is no different from any other Oxford College in admitting state school candidates. According to the University's latest statistics, about 68% of undergraduate admissions came from the state schools, with about 15% from independent schools and 15% overseas students.

I think Worcester’s were about 86 percent state. Which makes it a bit different particularly if it’s 15 percent foreign on top…
Original post by Dad clapham
I think Worcester’s were about 86 percent state. Which makes it a bit different particularly if it’s 15 percent foreign on top…

Set in context of all college statistics, there will be variation in % of state school students admitted each year. For 2022 admissions, state school by college ranged from 55% to 93%. This makes the 84% for Worcester in 2022, within normal variation, instead of an outlier.
Reply 4
Original post by BetaVersion2.9
Set in context of all college statistics, there will be variation in % of state school students admitted each year. For 2022 admissions, state school by college ranged from 55% to 93%. This makes the 84% for Worcester in 2022, within normal variation, instead of an outlier.

I think this is an answer by the university rather than a student ….
It may be worth recalling that the admissions system seeks to match the best candidates, chosen on merit, to the available places across the university. This is why an applicant to college X may be offered a place at college Y, or be given an open offer, which means that the applicant will be allocated to a college after the IB and A Level results are published.

I mention this to make the point that calculating things such as "college X is more likely to take a state school student", or "college Y is more likely to take a private school student" has its limitations. Any applicant could end up at any of the undergraduate colleges which teaches the subject applied for.

I suggest that applicants select as their first choice a college which they like the look and feel of, if possible after visiting a few colleges, and taking into account factors such as who is likely to be teaching at the college if the applicant obtains a place there (recognising that academic staff come and go, spend time away from teaching on sabbaticals, and so on).
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by Dad clapham
I think this is an answer by the university rather than a student ….

As a postgraduate student, I get involved with a lot of access and outreach programmes. I often refer to the published admissions statistics report, because facts and figures can often help to demystify the Oxford application and selection process.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending